I'm guessing 180g
to remove ads between posts
Sep 20, 2010, 02:25 PM
Stirring the pot
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakkie
I'm guessing 180g
Your Christal ball is almost as good as mine!
or...
The same witch doctor!!!
Sep 20, 2010, 02:37 PM
I think I'm Mode 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannlochner
Your Christal ball is almost as good as mine!
or...
The same witch doctor!!!
maybe a similar wine......
Sep 20, 2010, 03:15 PM
.....till the wind drops.
Guys!!....cut the cackel!!..leave that for that other thread....the.....the....the thread that might get you into trouble!

Jokes!!

That wing looks AWESOME Johann!!
Sorry Bakkie, looks like you will not be getting a yellow wing after all!!
Sep 20, 2010, 11:28 PM
Gliders ain't drones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannlochner
Sooo ...

She's out the bag!

Best finish so far!
Mine's out too! Best finish so far for me too!!! (of course, it's my only wing so far!!!)

Bottom (red) finish looks great, but has several bubbles, though. Top, (white +), has a number of spots where the white peeled off -- I have to blame it on two things -- the bottom used Krylon paint for plastic while the top used generic Krylon, and I'm blaming the top peel-off on the paint that I threw at the mylar to make up for a lack of any artistic ability.

I was really concerned with the first paint spatter I threw at the mylar, since it went on pretty thick and globby (like 1-2mm globs), but what was done was done. I continued to throw more paint. The globs flattened out to about 1mm thick as they dried overnight -- oh well. Sprayed the white over it, and layed on the cloth once that dried. It really surprised me when I took it out of the bag today after work -- the spatter paint is perfectly smooth with the finish.

The LE needs some work since the top and bottom glass didn't exactly meet. And the TE needs some work -- when I layed on the full-size Sally wing template, while the completed wing is full size, the foam ends about 1" short of the TE, so the aileron, if I cut it like this, would be really thin and would flex A LOT . I've got to find some way to stiffen up the TE w/o adding much weight. Suggestions??

Weighed it. 152g. I must have used too much epoxy.

But, for a first wing --

And the car tire didn't leave any imprint!
Sep 21, 2010, 02:02 AM
Fly fast, Dont crash.
Hey Dave

grats on your first wing!

Dont worry about the LE glass not meeting, that'll be sanded back smooth to the LE cloth you put on... you did put some LE material on?

For the TE I'd cut back the glass untill you're a few mm away from the foam core, you'll end up with a different planform and higher aspect ratio but I doubt it'll make that much difference... the important thing is you'll be keeping the section in good shape, having 1" of thin glass hanging out the back isnt going to help things.

How much epoxy did you put in it? I use around 30g's and trying to get that down further but my cold climate doesnt help with wetting out
Sep 21, 2010, 03:34 AM
Stirring the pot
Thread OP
Well done Dave!
Full marks for being able to hang in there with us....
For so long!
You have finally passed the point of no return!

I like your spots... with trails
Reminds me of insects hitting a windscreen.
Reminiscent of an object at speed!
Sep 21, 2010, 07:16 AM
Hello guys!!!

Back to reality... my holidays are over for the summer season!
Lets hope the winter season has more...

On my desk at work I had package!
I must say that the packaging is a master piece! I´ll be keeping it.
Inside was a Zsally descendant, my anxiety levels went up the chart!
Very light fuse, beautiful carbon hardtop... very nicely done, bigger than I thought it would be.
Cant thank Johan enough!
Must keep my promise, and get her ready to fly.
Just hope not to break her on the try outs...

I have my thread reading up to date, everyone is building wings...
So I must keep the pace and join in as well!

I really like ZENMANIAC top wing!!!
It looks like Jackson Pollock paintings...
Great finish, impressive and above all unexpected for a wing design.

Can some of U that have already flown your planes give the CGs and specs that are working best...
Tricky question, it depends on many things... it helps anyway!

LAYER
Sep 21, 2010, 07:45 AM
Stirring the pot
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by layer
She's strong!
Lightest one is now 50g
You won't break her!

I have my thread reading up to date, everyone is building wings...
Can some of U that have already flown your planes give the CGs and specs that are working best...
Tricky question, it depends on many things... it helps anyway!

Sooo...
Read page one!

LAYER
Welcome back!
The saga continues.....

LAYER[/QUOTE]
Sep 21, 2010, 07:50 AM
Stirring the pot
Thread OP
I forgot...
You are translating into Portuguese!
Sooo..
I read it for you!
"cofg is around 33-34mm back from where the pod meets the wing LE. "
Have fun!
Sep 21, 2010, 10:29 AM
Johan your Portuguese is sounding better every day!
Thanks.

Wings, there are wings to be built!
Any new lengths or airfolis to share, Anyone???

LAYER
Sep 21, 2010, 02:17 PM
.....till the wind drops.
Dave! Well done on your first wing!! Great Stuff!!

Layer, welcome back! When can we expect some in-flight pictures?

All those that would like to see a video clip of Darrons Zally say "AYE"................ Johann, when are you going too load said video?
Sep 21, 2010, 08:50 PM
Gliders ain't drones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepasty
Hey Dave

grats on your first wing!

Dont worry about the LE glass not meeting, that'll be sanded back smooth to the LE cloth you put on... you did put some LE material on?

For the TE I'd cut back the glass untill you're a few mm away from the foam core, you'll end up with a different planform and higher aspect ratio but I doubt it'll make that much difference... the important thing is you'll be keeping the section in good shape, having 1" of thin glass hanging out the back isnt going to help things.

How much epoxy did you put in it? I use around 30g's and trying to get that down further but my cold climate doesnt help with wetting out
I'll take your advice on the TE, Steve. It'll be interesting with a plane with extra weight and less wing area and high aspect, this thing will probably fly really fast.

So I realized my problem (late). When I made my wing template for the tip, I didn't account for the thickness of the cutting wire -- ok, so I said, this will be a little thinner wing, no big deal. But I didn't realize when I was cutting that it also would affect the width of the wing!!

I must have used 60+ grams of epoxy -- I don't know how much squeezed out in the bag, but it seemed like quite a bit, so I don't know how much was left. I still have to trim out some epoxy from the wing tips -- there's several good booger size chunks that could bring my final weight down by 10 or more grams.

You and Johann have been great inspiration. With just a little more to go, I can't weight, but have to be out of town for a little over a week, so don't expect any first flight videos for a while yet.

Thanks for the comments on the paint job, Layer. I was just talking about that with my daughter -- my wife and are going to NYC in a month, and I'm considering making this wing an offering for an exhibit at the Museum of Modern Art!

-= Dave
Sep 21, 2010, 08:51 PM
Gliders ain't drones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Oelofse
Dave! Well done on your first wing!! Great Stuff!!

Layer, welcome back! When can we expect some in-flight pictures?

All those that would like to see a video clip of Darrons Zally say "AYE"................ Johann, when are you going too load said video?
Thanks, Sean.

Aye!

d.
Sep 21, 2010, 11:19 PM
Stirring the pot
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenmaniac
Thanks, Sean.

Aye!

d.
I thought we could do a combo....
Daron and Sean;s flight together!
Come now Sean....
You have a fuz,
You have a wing...
What else is there to do, but put in the servos!
Why is it taking so long!!!

Quick Reply