Jun 24, 2010, 09:51 AM
Quote:
Im curious to see how it flies with the fins at that steep of an angle. My fins are triangles at a 45 dgree angle
well Rcrich, all i can say is not sure how it would fly with the 45 degree tips, but the angle i put mine on has an amazing affect, it seems like it is on tracks, i cannot believe how manoeuvrable it is, i have never flown with rudder, only ever used elevons, and i have to say this thing out flies any of my wings, i took a depron F117 scratchbuild with me today and put one battery through it, the other 7 went on to the cheap-n-easy, by far the best thing i have flown, i just didnt want to stop flying it, well i decided to take off the Emax motor and i put on a 2208/12 1800Kv motor, a 7x4 prop and 1500 mAh lipo, i also love the way you do a loop and at the end it seems to stop in mid air and float till the prop catches the air and off she scoots, i would highly recommend putting a bigger motor on it, it seems to like the slow floaty flying, but also the zippy little speeds with the bigger Kv motor, i have done a couple of vids, i hope you all like them and hope someone else tries the bigger Kv, so thanks to Rcrich for giving me the best thing i have flown so far
carl
(4 min 59 sec)

(3 min 56 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jun 24, 2010, 10:34 AM
When pigs fly rc
Thread OP
Carl
Im glad you like it and thanks for the kind words. I have roughly 12 planes in my hangar and most are in my blog but the cheap-n-neasy is flown the most. Once you cut one out you can fly the heck out of it and cut a new one in no time at all if you crash it. I dont know if you have dollar stores in England but over here I can get a sheet of foam for one dollar and I have a new plane. And for 40 dollars at hobbyking I can get all of the electronics. Now thats cheap!
I will record some video from the plane with a small video camera and post it soon.
Have fun RICH
Jun 24, 2010, 01:32 PM
hey rich, we have similar shops over here called the pound shop, or pound land, but have not seen any of them selling foam , i usually buy my depron from an e bay shop, which is quite cheap size 49" x 31" i get 4 sheets for around $22, but foamboard over here is quite pricey, 33" x 23" 5 sheets will cost around $40 without shipping, so i dont use foamboard much, but i had some bits left over, and infact my cheap-n-easy was built using around 4 pieces of board, i had to cut straight lines and glue together to make a big enough square for me to draw it on, and going to order some depron and build another but will use packing tape and skewers to add stiffness
carl
Jun 30, 2010, 10:04 AM
well i thought i would just post another vid to show that she is still gettin wind under her, and to re start the thread
(4 min 43 sec)
Jul 01, 2010, 04:38 PM
Rich,

Did you de-paper the foam board first, or leave it on for strength?

Pete
Jul 02, 2010, 08:34 AM
Bert with an "e"
Rich, thanks for the plans, I have downloaded them and hope to cut 1 out this weekend.
Jul 02, 2010, 10:25 AM
When pigs fly rc
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye95
Rich,

Did you de-paper the foam board first, or leave it on for strength?

Pete
Left the paper on for the plane.
Jul 02, 2010, 10:28 AM
When pigs fly rc
Thread OP

inflight video

video camera on front of the cheap-n-easy.
pfx1 flight cam (3 min 6 sec)
Jul 04, 2010, 12:32 AM
Quads & Planes, cant beat them
Nice video, looks like a great flier. Will have to add this to the build list. Thanks for making and sharing such an easy to build plane.
Jul 04, 2010, 09:22 PM
what if the motor was mounted in the front? would it change how it fly's at all or if any.....well going to give it a shot ....worked on it most of the night ...some pics
Last edited by Stitchxx; Jul 05, 2010 at 01:13 AM.
Jul 05, 2010, 08:40 AM
When pigs fly rc
Thread OP
Stitch
I have not tried mounting the motor up front. I like the motor protected in the slot and the noise it makes in the slot is cool. I noticed your back wing tips are not at a 45 degree angle whish will make it more stable. Have fun and let me know what happens.
rich
Jul 05, 2010, 03:07 PM
Well Bad Luck LMAO....Rebuild time....it was a no go ,nose plant front shattered..back to cutting a new one
Jul 05, 2010, 04:59 PM
John 3:16
Stitchxx,
I was looking at the picture of your completed cheap-n-easy, and I saw some things that you do that I do differently.

First off, you didn't put your hinge tape all the way across the elevon control surface. I think it would be best for you to put the tape across the entire elevon surface rather than just putting some in the middle.
Second, it looks like you used more hot glue than you need to. That will make the plane heavier since hot glue is heavy.
Third, it looks like your z-bends are too wide, which will allow the push rod to slide from side to side or up and down. You want to cut as much slop out of that control surface as possible.
This is probably just a matter of preference, but I usually put my ez connectors on my servo arms rather than on the control horns. I have seen it done both ways (and some with ez connectors on both sides), but for me I put the z-bend at the control horn, and the ez connector at the servo. I don't think it makes a difference either way.

I hope I am not off base in making these observations. I'm not trying to be critical, but I remember when I started building foamies (and arfs). I used waaayy too much glue, and didn't tie everything up tight. As a result, my planes didn't fly as well as they could have.

BTW, I would put the 45 degree angle on the wing tips like rich suggested. It will undoubtedly help it to fly more stable.

Daddy-O
Jul 05, 2010, 10:06 PM
Oh come on Rich, I dont have time for this

Its a good thing I have LOTS of dollar store foam board. Im thinking of making a smaller micro one for my front yard.
Jul 05, 2010, 10:12 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
As low & slow as I saw Rich flying his in the first post vid, I think that the standard size set up right is a good frt yard flyer aint it?

Thats what I am building mine for.

Quick Reply