Jun 19, 2010, 08:46 AM
For us He died, in me He lives
I will. May be a while as build time for me atm is few & far between but I'll post once I get er done.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2010, 09:37 AM
HI Jimmy J, Is that a foam version of the Zipper in your post? I'm over in the Grass Lake area between Jackson and Chelsea off 94.
Jun 19, 2010, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidercat
HI Jimmy J, Is that a foam version of the Zipper in your post? I'm over in the Grass Lake area between Jackson and Chelsea off 94.
Hey Glidercat, small world eh? I'm in Clinton Twp. Just North of Detroit.
Are you talking about the pic in my Avatar?
If so, that's actually my first attempt at designing my own front yard flyer. Originally attemped to make a 3m depron version of Steven's Aeromodel's Mudbug. Messed up the fuse but used the tail feather's & wing & just came up with an Old Timer style profile fuse.
22" RET.
Called it the "J-Bug". Got lucky with a real nice flyer. My favorite frt yard "Armchair" plane so far for relaxing flight. Wouldn't have been able to do it w/o all the teachings I received here from the RCGuru's though.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1151461

Still has it's limits though.

Now the "Cheap & Easy" on the other hand....
I can't wait to build this guy!
Jun 23, 2010, 08:23 AM
ok i built one of these, its in foamboard and bits of depron, i started out with the Emax CF2822 motor with 900 mAh lipo, but they were not charged enough, so swapped them for 1500 mAh, an 8x4 prop, as you can see in the vid it has no fins on the side, my fault as i snapped one early on, so took off both, but didnt seem to affect it that much, still got to sort out the sweet spot for the COG, but for now she flies, and will be sorting out all the faults, but all in all a great flyer
carl
(2 min 10 sec)
Jun 23, 2010, 10:17 AM
When pigs fly rc
Thread OP
Nice video carl! I like your copilot. When you put the fins back on your plane add a little packing tape to the seam and it will stiffen up if your glue bond is not strong enough. With the fins i find it flies even better and it may be why your cg is off. Rich
Jun 23, 2010, 10:37 AM
Anxious to watch the vid. I can't watch anything from vimeo at work. Will have to wait until I get home.
Let us know how she does once you get the fins back on.
Jimmy
Jun 23, 2010, 11:47 AM
thanks Rcrich, yeah i have 2 copilots , called patch and jack, they're jack russells, they are my excuse to fly, i just take them for a walk in the car and kinda keep finding a couple of planes in the back, so what am i to do eh, i get out with no problems if my copilots are with me, thats how they earn there wage anyway i have made some more fins and added then, with some clear packing tape, and have now sorted the cog out, and will be using your elastic idea for the battery,
carl
Jun 23, 2010, 12:02 PM
When pigs fly rc
Thread OP
Im curious to see how it flies with the fins at that steep of an angle. My fins are triangles at a 45 dgree angle. Let me know how that works for you and have fun. I like using rubber bands for a battery holder and i use toothpicks on the bottom side of the plane to hold the rubber bands from pulling out. Rich
Jun 23, 2010, 12:45 PM
Ken's CAD Models

Cheap-n-Easy SketchUp file

Congrats RCRich!

Quickly put this into SU. Perhaps someone would like to annotate and finish this?

Ken
Jun 23, 2010, 12:58 PM
When pigs fly rc
Thread OP
Wow nice job THANKS
Jun 23, 2010, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Im curious to see how it flies with the fins at that steep of an angle. My fins are triangles at a 45 dgree angle
i dont know what i was thinking about when i did the fins, i only realised i had angled them wrong when i just read your post, must be because i was watching the world cup at the same time ( well done USA for qualifying to the last 16 teams ) i will see what affect they have and will re do them if necessary
carl
Jun 23, 2010, 02:06 PM
When pigs fly rc
Thread OP
Thats the price we pay for multitasking.
Jun 23, 2010, 08:18 PM
When pigs fly rc
Thread OP
I want to try it out of epp next but have to place an order for foam . Any ideas were i should use carbon fiber for strength?
Jun 23, 2010, 09:14 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Use CF on the front side of the prop slot, behind the motor mount and on the elevator hinge line from dihedral break to dihedral break.

Ken
Jun 24, 2010, 07:53 AM
When pigs fly rc
Thread OP
thanks ken for the info

Quick Reply