Jun 18, 2010, 06:42 PM
When pigs fly rc
Thread OP

the cheap and easy build

The plane is cut from a single sheet of foamboard which is 20 inches by 30 inches

The plane is 24.5 inches long and that is your back line.
the front is 7inches wide.
Make a mark 11 inches up each side and make a triangle.
make a mark 22 inches up from the side and connect that to your 24.5 inch line.
The prop slot is 8.5 inches up from the front and is 8.5 x 1.25 in size.
make a small cut out for your motor.
The elevator is 15 inches wide and set back 2.25 inches on the sides.
The back of the plane will be pointed so make a straight line across the back to get the small fins.
the rudder is 14.5 inches long and 5.5 inches tall.
when you cut the rudder, the piece that comes off to clear the elevator gets glued to the top of the rudder.
The small amount of foam left I use to make a 2.5 inch doubler for the front of the plane and some side mounts for the stick mount.
The wing tips are cut and glued at a 45 degree angle.
Use some packing tape on the front.

2-9 gram china servos
1 blue wonder 1500
10 amp esc
spectrum reciever
500 to 900 mah 3 cell
stick mount

Thats it this is my first time listing a build so feel free to ask me any questions if its confusing.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2010, 06:42 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thanks !!!!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jun 18, 2010, 06:43 PM
When pigs fly rc
Thread OP
The battery is up front and held in with rubberbands
Jun 18, 2010, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrich
The battery is up front and held in with rubberbands
HA! that's a cool idea using rubber bands like that. Always just used a strip of velcro. Kind of floppy.
Jun 18, 2010, 07:26 PM
i see in your blog that you have several nutballs. can you compare your delta flight to it? sorry,using a phone
Jun 18, 2010, 07:44 PM
When pigs fly rc
Thread OP
It will pull a tighter loop and roll faster but it does not prop hang like the nutball can. I love nb's
Jun 18, 2010, 07:47 PM
When pigs fly rc
Thread OP
I will dig up some close flying so you can see
Jun 18, 2010, 07:49 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymbrewolf
i see in your blog that you have several nutballs. can you compare your delta flight to it? sorry,using a phone
I would like to second Wolf's question regarding comparing the flight characteristics of this guy to the Nutball.
Due to my RL atm, just occasional flights out in the yard are about all I get atm and like most folks here, I am always looking for the sweet coo coo slow flyer. I still don't have the thumbs nor radio (old Conquest, no expo just rates) to handle elevons in tight spaces.
Just gotta love RET's that fly like this.
You have provided all I need to build it, it looks so simple. Only thing I wonder is CG? & what prop with that 1500?

Nice job on a simple build Rich. Can't wait for a free moment to cut & glue some foam.

Jimmy

EDIT... I see you already answered Tym's question...
Last edited by Jimmy JFlyer; Jun 18, 2010 at 07:59 PM.
Jun 18, 2010, 08:02 PM
When pigs fly rc
Thread OP
here is some up close flying
pfx1 (2 min 53 sec)
Jun 18, 2010, 08:04 PM
When pigs fly rc
Thread OP
The cg i believe is right behind the prop.
I just made it and kept tweaking it till I was happy.
Jun 18, 2010, 08:07 PM
When pigs fly rc
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy JFlyer
I would like to second Wolf's question regarding comparing the flight characteristics of this guy to the Nutball.
Due to my RL atm, just occasional flights out in the yard are about all I get atm and like most folks here, I am always looking for the sweet coo coo slow flyer. I still don't have the thumbs nor radio (old Conquest, no expo just rates) to handle elevons in tight spaces.
Just gotta love RET's that fly like this.
You have provided all I need to build it, it looks so simple. Only thing I wonder is CG? & what prop with that 1500?

Nice job on a simple build Rich. Can't wait for a free moment to cut & glue some foam.

Jimmy

EDIT... I see you already answered Tym's question...

Jimmy I fly a 8060 gws prop.
Jun 18, 2010, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the info Rich,
Hmmm... so I am going over the gear I have. Which is everything you are using for the exception of a 3 cell. My charger's 3s port pooped so I am limited to 2s only for a while. Judging by the planes effortless pull outs, you have really good thrust to weight ratio.
Do you think you are close to 2:1? I am thinking at least 1.5:1 would come close to the performance you are getting.
Just trying to think how I will get there. Batt of choice will be a 900 2s.
I figure either bigger prop slot & a 9" prop on 2s or just up the amps a bit & throw a 1700 on there with the 8x6.

I have the BW's...
1300's, (though they need rewinds)
a 1500 & some 1700's.
various 8, 9 & 10" props. Just don't want to have to go to big with the slot.
Have you had a chance to weigh it yet?
Jun 18, 2010, 08:45 PM
When pigs fly rc
Thread OP
it weighs 7.85 ounces with out the battery.
I would try a 2 cell on it for you but the esc is old and only works on a 3 cell now.
I think it would fly on 2 but may not fly with unlimitted vertical.
I will look for an extra esc in the shop.
Jun 18, 2010, 08:58 PM
Hey thanks for the help Rich. I am excited about this one, looking forward to see what it does on 2s.
I was thinking maybe this.... 1700 BW on 2s with 9x5. 14oz's thrust. Just topping my esc out at 9.5 amps. Or I'll get me some 8x4.3's... 13 oz thrust at 8.5 amps...Will shoot for 8oz AUW with batt. Bet I could hit that if I pay close attn during the build. or at least no more than 9 oz's.
Jun 19, 2010, 08:40 AM
When pigs fly rc
Thread OP
have fun and let me know how it goes.

Quick Reply