Jun 26, 2010, 01:00 AM
A tip wipe the radius with the stick up against the verticle surface first and then the horizontal surface next and you'll eliminate most of the excess filler. This is just a general rule.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2010, 06:05 AM
EUROPHIA PETE

Hi-Phase build

Hi Gary

Please send me a pm and give me your "snail mail" address, I've got a spare pair of those nylon bearings in my workroom spares box you're welcome to

My mate Pete will be climbing into the loft for me next weekend to bring the Hi-Phase down, What sort of pics do you need?

I have flown both the Hi-Phase and the Multi-Phase that replaced it and the Multi-Phase was better for competion flying but nowhere near as lovely to sport fly. I used to describe the H-Phase's flight qualities as "ladylike", it's like a dowager duchess in full crinoline flowing across the floors of her stately home - fanciful I know, but it has a smoothness and charm that has never been beaten

I regretfully swapped to the "Proton 140" with the Multi-Phase as backup for BARCS comps and the Hi-Phase for slope soaring tranquility - it works!

Regards

Pete
Jun 27, 2010, 02:08 PM
Late for work again!
Thread OP
Thanks Pete, that's very kind, I will PM you.

Just general shots really to brighten the thread up, maybe the radio installation but there is plenty of room in there. Did you need much noseweight? I was thinking of using a Lipo Rx battery, there is lead stuck in the nose already.

Sounds like the Hi-Phase is not exactly an aerobatic ship! The Multi-Phase needs some planning ahead with turns as well!! Must fix the broken wing panel and I could bring that up the slope as well.

On the build I have removed the rods and cut off the tubes flush, one more day at work then I can crack on with more woodwork.

Cheers

Gary
Jun 27, 2010, 05:19 PM
Late for work again!
Thread OP
I couldn't resist a little tinker in the shed tonight!! I wanted to complete the fin structure which is just a few crossbeams of 1/4 x 1/8 balsa but three of them need holes cutting in them for the tailplane drive rod so the drive rod was next.

Made from 16 swg wire, I put a 'Z' bend in the bottom end with my new pliers (on the limit with this thickness of wire) and had to make and solder on a flattened brass tube drive fitting per the plan.

Made sure this joint was good (I really don't want it to fail!) and then moved on to trimming the bellcrank, again per the plan.

The bellcrank is ribbed on both sides for strength as it normally has to drive a tailplane direct and act as the pivot. One side of the ribbing has to get trimmed off and also the hole where the pivot bush goes through as it has to fit between the fin skins. Eventually it will be mounted to a ply plate by one self-tapping screw through the bush and be completely enclosed.

Trimming it was tough, the best weapon was a single edged razor blade, the good news is that I still have all my fingers!!

Not much but it all has to be done.

GB
Jun 29, 2010, 06:52 PM
Late for work again!
Thread OP

Done the deed!!

Must post while I can remember what I did today.

More fin and bellcrank work, I am not completely happy with the bellcrank and may make a new one yet. It has a little slop from side to side and some flex due to having to remove all the strengthening ribs (contrary to the plan). Nothing glued in yet so I'm free to improve it.

I lined the fuselage up with the plan view (the nose and tail are shown in the right place but a tailplane is drawn in the middle to save paper! Why not?!) and had a couple of attempts at getting the lines for fin cutting right. I also marked the position of the towhook while I was at it and strangely there is a filled hole at this exact position?!! There are actually three different previous towhook positions evident!!

Next step was to cut off the fin to convert it, it was not as worrying as I thought it was going to be, I just got on with it! Cut through one side with a Dremel wheel and finished the other side with a razor saw using the first cut, nae problems.

I deliberately cut it oversize and then planned to sand it down to the lines. I had some fun here, the disc sander would not remove material so I changed the disc for a new one and still got the same result (polishing and burning!).
Tough stuff but I got there in the end. Is this a difference between polyester and epoxy lay up? I know that some things just won't sand.

Some other detail in the photos, I should probably move back onto wing production again (and have another tidy up in the shed, shocking state!!).

GB
Last edited by Gary Binnie; Jun 29, 2010 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Typo
Jun 29, 2010, 07:34 PM
Late for work again!
Thread OP

For shark lovers!

Had to look it up, ''Alopias macrourus''

Don't they smell sharks!!
Jun 30, 2010, 10:59 AM
Late for work again!
Thread OP
Spent some time sanding the rudder and tailplanes, covered the dog in balsa dust as he decided to lie where I was working!

It's club flying night tonight so I've loaded it all in the car to show the guys what I have been up to. Getting there.

GB
Jun 30, 2010, 01:19 PM
BIP
BIP
I must say....your work is very good . I happen to really like building the wood kits myself and seeing you do this is making me want to get back into it again . I used to build them alot in the 80s and 90s but have since gone to the molded composite gliders now ofcourse . There's something special about cutting and sanding that wood and seeing it take shape and form...it's really a neet thing . Keep-up the good work !

All the Best
Ken Talbert
Jun 30, 2010, 04:02 PM
Late for work again!
Thread OP
Thanks Ken, I'm not the neatest builder but I do try!!

Strictly this one is half wood, half fibreglass, don't know how you would class it!

One day I will get a carbon job but I am happy messing about with these old designs for the time being.

Cheers

Gary
Jul 01, 2010, 10:54 AM
Got some great news from my friend Brian Agnew who's visiting Florida he found Hi Phase nib in his father's attic, and neither he nor his dad want to start it so he's mailed it to me. So that will be no less than 5 Chris Foss design's I'll have at my finger tip's to build and fly.
Jul 01, 2010, 04:50 PM
Late for work again!
Thread OP
Great, post some pictures when you get it.

How can it be 'NIB'?!! Is it a fuselage and plan pack with foam wings?? A rare find that.

Well my day was interrupted by having to fix a coolant leak on my daughter's old car, grrr! At least it wasn't too far away when it blew a hose.

Spent some time on servo installation as I need to know the length of the elevator pushrod before I fix the fin in place, sorry no photos today.

Cheers

GB
Jul 01, 2010, 07:12 PM
Brian say's the fuse is not even assembled. I'll take photo's of the kit when I get it. Used some excess resin to paint the FWD interior of my P-5, I should get off my butt and finish it. I have way many more glider's than any one person should have. Even have plan's for the Wood Stock and Tern full sized.
Jul 02, 2010, 03:27 AM
Late for work again!
Thread OP
That would be very interesting to see, there's some very rare stuff sitting in peoples' lofts (attics). Slightly OT I used to restore old British motorcycles (way more expensive than building Foss kits!!) and the magazines used to show 'barn finds', low mileage original bikes that had just got a bit dusty over the years. I think the world has been scoured for these now. I heard a rumour of a pile of old Brit bikes in Cyprus but the trail went cold in the area that they were supposed to be, shame.

You can't have too many gliders surely?!!!! I did wonder if you had finished the P5, it's on my list but down the queue somewhere.

GB
Jul 02, 2010, 12:14 PM
When people keep giving you their attic queen's this collection can grow. The last gift given to me by Phil Renaud who fly's with us on Sunday's. A Combat Model's F-16 sloper, a Multiplex Milan with both a damaged fuse and a brand new one and a Cobra Calipso fuse. A nib Olympic II from Airtronics, which was immediately put in Ray Kostuk's car. A nib Larry Jolly Flinger javalin launch HLG. Steve Johnson recently gave me a Mark Kummerow full house V-tail, this just need's aileron servo's. The list goes on. Later Dave.
Jul 02, 2010, 12:33 PM
Late for work again!
Thread OP

Spaghetti fighting!

I was going to get on my bike to get an AR500 receiver but I remembered that I had an AR7000 in another model that I don't fly much so I stole that (needs must!).

If I can I like to make the radio gear removable in one package so I made a Liteply floor for the radio bay, it would all have to come out for painting anyway. Bound up the Spektrum gear and it's all working nicely, just had to reverse the elevator servo as it works in the opposite sense because of the linkage (servo arm forward, moves the leading edge of the tailplane nose down, thus pitches the nose up!!).

Have got the whole elevator linkage working but still not glued in yet, quite a fiddly job and the pushrod had to be tweaked to stop it rubbing on the wing tubes, because the fuselage is curved like a banana from the side there is a narrow band where the pushrod can operate without touching the lower inside of the fuse or the wing tubes. I ran a rudder cable through to check the same thing.

Quite happy with all that but an old problem came back to haunt me. I thought that I would weigh what I've got and have a first look at the centre of gravity. The fuselage (550 g bare), fin, rudder, tailplanes and radio gear weighs about 980 g (just over 2 lb). I'm guessing that the wings will add another 500 g so we're looking at about 1500 g complete (3 lb 4 oz).

This seems to be about right as Chris gives a finished weight for a Centi-Phase of 2 lb 12 oz to 3 lb.

But ... ! It is definitely nose heavy (makes a change!!), I am sure this is due to the lead that someone poured into the nose in days gone by. It should balance just in front of the rear joiner tube, it is currently balancing at the forward tube so the C of G has got to move back about 3 1/2 inches.

I know that the sweptback wings will move the C of G rearward but not by much as they are relatively light and the moment arm is short.

So I've got to get the lead out, it's well stuck in and I've tried before to remove it, any suggestions?!!

The good news is that when I've taken it out the whole thing will be much lighter. Knowing CF's approach he would have designed it for no extra nose weight with everything in the plan position.

All good fun.

Gary
Last edited by Gary Binnie; Jul 02, 2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Typos

Quick Reply