Sep 29, 2001, 10:52 PM
Thread OP

Twin Star prop to fan conversion

I have a spare Twin Star I was considering converting to speed 400/480 fans. Seems like I have seen this, but Im getting closer to construction and can't find the particulars. The Twin Star I fly could use a bit more "oomph". So I may not do this if it is likely to have less thrust than the prop version. Comments Welcome!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2001, 11:00 PM
Blew out my flip flop
I think there was a thread here on that at one time. Robert at EJF did one, but said it was slower with the fans vrs the prop version. You might wanna email him about it, or Bruff might comment.

Later,
David
Sep 30, 2001, 12:48 AM
An EDF Twin Star will definatly be slower than the prop set-up. High end EDF motors will make up at least some of the loss but at a price. $400 to 500 for the power package.
Some have been upgrading the performance of the Graupner twin EDF plane with low cost prop set-ups.
Sep 30, 2001, 08:45 AM
I agree with the above.

I converted a Herr Aqua Star from s4oo, direct drive prop to en EDF. Went from being able to handlaunch to having to bungee launch, from responsive and quick to a real dog.

Props will give you more bang for the buck. Perhaps if you spend some serious money on fans and power, you might improve the performance of the Twin Star. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Perhaps if you upgraded to better motors. There are some threads here about using the Vario variable pitch props.

You will get far more performance improvement with a lot less money by staying with props.

After having said all of the above, I don't think there is a sweeter sound than two (or more) EDF's running together>

Quick Reply