Jun 16, 2003, 08:58 AM

Endo powered Bubbles

Well I finally completed by Endo Powered Bubbles. It took a few months, but mostly because I am a slow builder and getting the right materials was laborious.
Here are the details:
Bubbles built to plans (http://www.flyelectric.ukgateway.net/bubbles.htm)
54" span
58 ounces AUW
Endo Motor
Great Planes GB
10 Tooth Pinon (Standard Gary Wright set-up)
Great PLanes C-50 esc
Berg Rec
10 2400 nimhs
4 hs-81s

I maidened her on Sunday and I was really amazed at how nicely she flies. Almost no trim needed. Pretty fast on full bore and really slow at "idle" with no (repeat no) bad habits.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 16, 2003, 09:02 AM
My flight was only about 6 minutes long due to a thermal shutdown on my ESC. I screwed up timing my ENDO, and now I am trying to figure out how to do it correcly. I guess I need to buy a whattmeter.

The flight was really fun and really stable. The landing was a complete non-event.

If I could make any suggestions, I would put together a "list of materials" so that one could purchase all of the balsa, ply, hardware, etc at once.

Now, if anyone can help me with my endo timing and I'll give you addtional flight reports...
Jun 16, 2003, 02:09 PM
Motors beat engines!
Timing is easy, your just looking for minimum sparking.

That being said, if you had simply turned the endbell about 180 degrees, and the timing mark is somewhere inside the range of hash marks, your likely pretty close.

I've never had one that did'nt wind up in the hash mark range.

Dean in Milwaukee
Jun 16, 2003, 02:13 PM
Minimum sparking at full throttle that is (and my 10 cell pack)?
Thanks.
sB
Jun 16, 2003, 04:07 PM
Motors beat engines!
"Minimum sparking at full throttle that is (and my 10 cell pack)?
Thanks.
sB "

Yup. I do this in a darkened room so I can see the sparks easily. You do need to be pretty carefull as you need to get your face semi close to that prop.
Remember that you need to be concerned with BOTH brushes sparking amount. They will be pretty even when your done.

Dean in Milwaukee
Jun 17, 2003, 02:36 AM
Quadcopter beginner
That's one mean lookin' bubbles!

good job sboxer. Must get round to building this myself.

speed
Jun 17, 2003, 03:41 PM
OCD
Do you have a parts list???

Marcus
Jun 17, 2003, 04:41 PM

Re: Endo powered Bubbles

Quote:
Originally posted by sboxer
Pretty fast on full bore and really slow at "idle" with no (repeat no) bad habits.
There was a few times I got mine into a flat spin that took concious effort to recover from. Regular spins and spirals were just release-the-stick coveries. Of course, I tended to fly it a little agressively.
Jun 17, 2003, 05:54 PM
Single-task at best...

Re: Re: Endo powered Bubbles

Quote:
Originally posted by SheldonYoung
There was a few times I got mine into a flat spin that took concious effort to recover from. Regular spins and spirals were just release-the-stick coveries. Of course, I tended to fly it a little agressively.
Sheldon,

Are you speaking in the past tense for a reason? Is your Bubbles no more?

sboxer,

Nice plane mate! David T always seems pleased to get details & pics of new variants to add to his website.........

tim
Jun 17, 2003, 06:26 PM
Yup, I got glitched at the end of the fieldon landing. I went out and walked around with three different receivers and found glitching here and there, but mostly at the end of the runway. There have been a few reports of odd behavior out there the last few days, so I'll have to get ahold of a frequency scanner and check things out. It sucks, but the wing survived and it's an opportunity to do a better job on the fuse if I decide to build another.

I might even just have a go at designing a low or mid wing ship just to try something different. But the Bubbles flies nicely and it's tempting to just whip off another.
Jun 18, 2003, 02:22 AM
Turbines suck ;-)
Quote:
Originally posted by Wright
Do you have a parts list???

Marcus
If you go to the link xboxer posted you will get everything you need. Dave Teunissen designed this plane specially to be a 40 sized electric sport flier on an inexpensive setup!
Jun 18, 2003, 09:47 AM
OCD

list of materials??

rorywquin - I have checked David's site and I see NO list of materials. By list of materials I am thinking about a complete list of the needed balsa and ply one would need to order. If I have missed this please show me the link.

Marcus
Jun 18, 2003, 07:13 PM
I never found a complete list. The following is an imcomplete list I put together before I started to build my bubbles:

Please note that this is only a place to start, I can revist the list for you and try to figure out how much you need to buy of each.

3/32" balsa for Ribs
1/32" soft balsa for sheeting wings and ailerons
1/8" x 1/4 balsa for spar
1x8 x 1/4 spruce for spar
1x8 balsa for trailing edge
3/8 square balsa for leading edge
3/32 light to medium for Fuse
1/64" ply for front fuse doubler
1/8" balsa for rear fuse doubler
1/8" x 1/8 balsa for tail (doubled)
1/8" music wire for landing gear
1/16 ply on top of wing for mounting screw
1/4" dowel for wings
1/8 soft balsa for wing tips
Jun 21, 2003, 11:40 AM
Please excuse the stup question, but how do I avoid a flat spin, recognize it when it happens and fly out of it.

Most of my flying has been limited to a switchback sport and I don't believe that I've create situations that were too difficult to fly out of.
Jun 21, 2003, 11:41 AM
One more picture of my bubbles as I am brimming with pride.