Motor for Lindberg Nantucket Lightship? - RC Groups
Jun 13, 2010, 08:37 PM
Webmaster, MMCNE
Discussion

Motor for Lindberg Nantucket Lightship?

I'm thinking about doing a conversion to RC of the Lindberg Lightship Nantucket. It's a decent sized plastic model, in 1/95 scale, about 17.5 inches long, with a beamy, deep hull.

I've done several Lindberg Diesel tugs over the years, powering them with a converted servo. I'm sure a servo would work OK in this model, as the original wasn't a speedster. But I'm wondering if I might not be better off to go with something with a little more oomph- or a small motor with a reduction gear, perhaps.

Anyone have any experience with this kist-- either good or bad?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 14, 2010, 02:26 AM
Mmm, tugs...
No experience at all!
Didn't know that she still floats... you can even charter her:
http://www.nantucketlightship.com/index.html
Jun 14, 2010, 06:02 AM
Like Pat, no experience, but I would just use the servo motor and run the thing off 5 NiMH cells rather than 4.
Are you thinking of planting a flashing LED on the mast?
Does anybody know what the flashing sequence should be? An oscillator and counter/decoder should be able to come close.....
Jun 14, 2010, 06:34 AM
You have to keep the top weight down, even with a beamy, deep hull. I have seen a couple of them done, both were very tipsy.
Regards,
Gerald.
Jun 14, 2010, 07:41 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Of the original six lightships built around 1930, two survive as museum ships. The original "Nantucket" was accidentally rammed and sunk by RMS Olympic in 1934.
Jun 14, 2010, 11:56 AM
Webmaster, MMCNE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfr02
Like Pat, no experience, but I would just use the servo motor and run the thing off 5 NiMH cells rather than 4.
Are you thinking of planting a flashing LED on the mast?
Does anybody know what the flashing sequence should be? An oscillator and counter/decoder should be able to come close.....
I found a little electronic flasher kit at my local "you-do-it" electornics store. It takes 5-24 volt input, and can be used to give .5 to 5 seconds "on", with a separately adjustable interval for "off".

I'm not sure what the Lightship's original light characteristic was, but Nantucket's Great Point Light is a white light with 1 flash every 5 seconds. I'll probalby go with something like that for my model.

I haven't decided what type of light to use-- I'll want something brighter than an LED-- maybe a halogen flashlight bulb? But that is getting ahead of myself-- I need to settle on the running gear first.
Jun 14, 2010, 12:14 PM
RCB- Check MicroMark. I bought a little circuit board from them a few years ago for the beacon in a model light house I built. It causes the light to ramp up, flash, then ramp down. Looks like the lamp is turning. Very realistc. You can adjust the timing on it.
Jun 14, 2010, 12:16 PM
Webmaster, MMCNE
Quote:
Originally Posted by der kapitan
Of the original six lightships built around 1930, two survive as museum ships. The original "Nantucket" was accidentally rammed and sunk by RMS Olympic in 1934.
LV 117 was rammed and sunk by the Olympic (sistership of the Titanic) on May 15, 1934. The British government paid for her replacement-- LV 112, launched in 1936.

Lightships were assigned a hull number that never changed, but carried the name of the station they were assigned to-- and they typically rotated to various locations throughout their service lives. For example, LV-106, LV-112, and LV-117 all served as the "Nantucket Lightship" at some point in the period 1930- 1975.

LS-112 spent almost her entire career at Nantucket, except for a period when whe was a relief Lightship. (She would have carried the name "Relief" on her hull then.) Lindberg's kit is a model of LS-112 in her Nantucket service-- but if you wanted to, you could label her "RELIEF".

Probably more history than you wanted- that's the ex-Coast Guardsman in me getting carried away......

...and I should be working on gettign the running gear sorted out.
Jun 14, 2010, 01:48 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
RCBoater, we can't ever have too much history---.
Jun 14, 2010, 03:02 PM
KC8WPF
USLHS and USCG Lightships underway to or from their assigned station will fly the international signal flags Lima Oscar form the starboard yard - indicates that the Lightship is Off station.

A lightship underway at night would should the appropriate navigation lights; the main beacon would not be flashing or rotating.

US Lightship stations all had a specific 4 letter call sign; the Columbia River Lightship station call sign was NNCR. All US lightships had their own distinctive 4 letter call sign assigned with the hull number. WLV-604 had the call sign NEWP; and was assigned to the Columbia River Station. When underway, WLV-604 would fly NEWP form the port yard and LO from the starboard yard.

Columbia River Lightship (WLV-604) was my first duty station in the USCG; Sept 1977 - Oct 1978.
Jun 14, 2010, 03:05 PM
太刀風
How about this for your motor?

http://http://www.allelectronics.com...C-MOTOR/1.html
Jun 14, 2010, 06:53 PM
LV-112 became WAL-534 later in life. Originally it had both diesel and steam power. The diesel was for propulsion, the steam was for the mushroom anchor windlass. In service 1936, retired 1975. Some years ago it was brought to Newbuyport, Ma for a week during ''Yankee Homecoming'' an annual summer event. I was a tour guide for the week two years in a row. Interesting experience. All of which doesn't help much with motor choice. I wouyld not use anything bigger than a 280 size aqnd a servolwould be the best bet. The real one did 12 knots wide open and with the wind and tide.