Jun 15, 2003, 04:43 PM

First TX HELP

I'm 13 and I have a Firebird XL that I got a month ago. I am now trying to figure out what transmitter to get. I'm thinking about getting the flash 4 or 5. My price range is $80-$120, and I want the transmitter only. Which one should I get.
Last edited by Firebird XL; Jun 15, 2003 at 08:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 15, 2003, 08:18 PM
I am also would like to know if GWS makes a flight pack with a 5 amp ESC
Jun 15, 2003, 08:54 PM

Flight packs

A number of mail order places allow you to change components in the GWS flight pack to fit your needs. For example at AeroMicro that advertises here on Ezone if you click to purchase the basic flight package you then have an opportunity to change the speed controller and other conponents for a slight change in price. Good Luck! Mike
Jun 15, 2003, 09:45 PM
Silent Flight
Quote:
Originally posted by Firebird XL
I am also would like to know if GWS makes a flight pack with a 5 amp ESC
FBXL:

Check out the GWS 100 ESC. I believe it is a 5AMP model. There is one with a brake and one without. I think they run ~$19.00.

daveWCO
Jun 15, 2003, 10:01 PM
ZippoGeek

Re: First TX HELP

Quote:
Originally posted by Firebird XL
I'm 13 and I have a Firebird XL that I got a month ago. I am now trying to figure out what transmitter to get. I'm thinking about getting the flash 4 or 5. My price range is $80-$120, and I want the transmitter only. Which one should I get.
FBXL,

I think the first Q you should ask yourself is, "What do I want to fly?" I started in the hobby flying a 4 channel glow .40 trainer. That radio worked great until I got some other models, one being a flying wing. The standard 4 ch. doesn't offer elevon mixing (elevator + ailerons moving at the same time and sharing a channel). I could have bought a mixer plug-in for my receiver, but really I was delaying the inevitable upgrade to a 6 ch. computer radio.

With a computer radio, you get model memories so it recalls how you have set up each of your planes and trimmed them so you don't have to constantly adjust when switching from plane to plane. It can do a lot more than that, but you get the idea. The extra 5th and 6th channels allow you to fly a standard 4 channel plane with throttle, ailerons, rudder and elevator -- plus add some kool stuff like flaps (for landings from a steeper approach - they work kind of like a parachute to slow you down). Or retractable landing gear, or smoke, whatever...

Of course, being a youngster and new to the hobby you shouldn't be spending too much time on the complex things. A three-channel radio with elevon mixing (Hitec Neon is great) will probably do what you want it to do if you'll only be flying a Zagi or something similar. I truly believe that simpler is better for starters.

GOOD LUCK!
Jason
Jun 15, 2003, 10:52 PM
characters welcome!
The Flash 5X is undoubtedly the best bang-for-the-buck radio out right now and has been for the few years it has been out. You can get one sans all the other stuff for ~$110 from Hobby Horse. I own two of them and haven't felt like I need anything more yet.

mw
Jun 16, 2003, 12:22 AM
I would agree with Mark on the flash 5. Its a good computer radio. Also you have one extra channel say if you want to build a plane with retracts or something along those lines.

Here is a good quote I saw on this forum.

Buy cheap, buy twice.

Colin
Jun 16, 2003, 12:31 PM
I am going to start on the sopwith camel by wattage.
3 channel (T/R/E)

Thanks for the site michael. I'm going to get my flight pack from them.

I also think I am going to get th Flash 5.
Last edited by Firebird XL; Jun 16, 2003 at 12:33 PM.
Jun 16, 2003, 12:36 PM
Good choice!

The other really great thing about the Flash 5x is when you do want an upgrade you will sell it for a much higher market rate than cheapo.

You won't be unhappy with the flash 5x. Someday I know I will get the Futaba 9c, but until I really can't see that day too soon.

Mike
Jun 16, 2003, 03:45 PM
Can I use GWS flight packs with the Flash 5?
Jun 16, 2003, 04:18 PM
A Clinger
Yes, your Flash5 Transmitter will be able to talk to GWS, HITEC, and FUTABA Recievers (and many others). The only thing to watch for is your frequency. For example, lets say your new TX comes on channel 54. Then you must make sure that you buy a matching crystal on channel 54 for the RX in the flight pack. Hope that helps!
Jun 16, 2003, 04:49 PM
Hey Firebird XL, There are two things you need to match for your flight pack to work properly with your receiver. The first is matching crystal as mentioned by Rclark the second is the "shift" that matches the way your transmitter broadcasts. Jr and Airtronics equipment broadcast on a positive shift and GWS makes flight packs for them as well as negative shift packs for Hitec and Futaba equipment. So be sure to get a matching crystal and the matching shift to get it to work properly. Do a search in Parkflyer on the Camel as some people are making modifications to get it to fly properly. (Larger rudder and building in more dihedral or washout in the wing tips.) I am building one right now and adding wash out by reducing the length of the front outer wing connector by 1/16 of an inch on both sides. Mike
Jun 16, 2003, 09:36 PM
Everthing I need is orderd:

2 Cirrus micro servos
Cirrus micro receiver
wattage 6 cell 800mah NI-MH
wattage 5amp ESC

I also got the Flash5

I do need a battery charger
any suggestions?

I don't want to spend more than $80(If possible)
Jun 17, 2003, 07:58 AM
Firebird XL,

Take a look in the Batteries and Chargers section there are many threads about what chargers to get and why.

I will be honest on that one - if you really are serious about this (you are admit it!) you will need to spend more on your charger. The Triton is about $120-$130 and is an excellent charger. It will charge NiCad, NiMh, PB (lead) and LiPoly batteries. It has good features. Trust me - save a bit and get it. It will grow with you far into your future of e-flight.

Mike
Jun 17, 2003, 10:04 AM
Will the Triton slow charge and fast charge?
Or do I need 2 chargers?