Jul 10, 2010, 08:20 PM
Any day at a DLG contest is a great day!

Joe and his crew had things running very smoothly. Looking forward to tomorrow.
Gavin handed over his blaster at the end of the day and I must say I was impressed. I sure am going to miss that 25 extra feet on launch in the morning! A great bunch of people and only one treed plane (which was rescued!)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2010, 10:09 PM
Steve Meyer
Sounds like the usual top in the mix.

Speaking of back problems I moved close to a ton of material up and down stairs working on a basement bathroom. Ouch,... good thing for modern living through chemistry.

Waitin' to here the outcome. Go for it Ben!

I'm ready and waiting for the NATS.
Jul 11, 2010, 05:03 AM
Skye Malcolm
This was my first ever DLG contest so I really learned a lot. Got real sore but had a boat load of fun trying and maybe failing to get better at my throw, but just a tremendous respect for the likes of Gavin, Gerald, Bruce, etc. who blast it way up there. I swear most of my high starts don't get as good a launch as these guys. Bruce, I especially want to thank you for your great explanations of the tasks.
-Skye
Jul 11, 2010, 11:56 AM
Throw a glider!

Day 1 photos...

What a beautiful weather day yesterday was! We had an interesting start as Joe's truck broke down on the way (with the contest in it) but thanks to his trailer and Al's Explorer we recovered from the setback and were able to get the contest started within 5 minutes of the scheduled time.

It seemed as though everyone enjoyed themselves, I sure did. This was only my second RC HLG contest, (last years DARTS being my first). This as a great contest for newer guys to attend. There are a good number of experts, but they are more than willing to help out because of the relaxed environment of the DARTS contest.

Jim
Last edited by glider90; Jul 11, 2010 at 12:01 PM.
Jul 11, 2010, 06:35 PM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Lots of fun... very tired.

Gavin dominated all weekend. It was by far the best I've seen him fly. I'll post a recap and my usual random thoughts sometime tomorrow.

As usual it was fun to see good friends and fly a contest in a relaxed, friendly paced environment. Great job Joe and Darts for making it another enjoyable weekend at the Twin Towers park. Everybody travel safely and we'll see you at the Nats in a few weeks.
Jul 12, 2010, 07:47 AM
They call me Crash!
Thanks for a good time Jumpin Joe and all who helped run the contest!
I was fun to watch how the big boys do it! A learning experience
for me!

Errrr now I gotta buy more planes...I'm hooked on another aspect of sailing!

Dan Myers
Jul 12, 2010, 02:25 PM
G_T
G_T
This was a very nice relaxing contest. 3 flight groups were run, with 5 minutes between groups. That give enough time that the atmosphere was not rushed at all. We got in lots of flying.

Those that didn't attend - YOU FOOLS!

Too tired for much now.

Gerald
Jul 12, 2010, 02:40 PM
Barn
Damn good contest! Thanks to Stompin’ Joe Mekina and his guys for sweating blood behind the scenes to get this thing done! Running a great contest takes way more effort than those of us not doing it ever imagine!

Special thanks to Gavin (Spiderman) Trussel for climbing the monster tree to rescue my Pterodactyl, (…who cares if he came in first?!) ...ever get the epoxy out of the SUV door?
Thanks to John Ferguson (2nd), a really talented pilot (and modest guy) who graciously accepted Joe's “Dope” award for launching on the wrong program!
Thanks to “The Bruce” who in his typically calm but intense way was coaching and timing for almost everyone. Interesting lunch discussion about the pet industry too (from the owner himself)!
Thanks to Gerald Taylor for giving us really helpful advice as well as answering multiple aerodynamic questions. (Gerald I still think your aero work is better than most PhD thesis I’ve read. You ought to publish a monograph on it,… in your spare time of course!).
Thanks to Tom Siler who’s always got interesting stuff about design, building, flying, Blasters,... Tom, you need a few projects to go with the new job you started!
Thanks to Ryan G... for letting me try out his Predator! (Holy crap! Even I could launch that thing right out over the trees!)
Thanks to Rick Wait (6th) who talked us into coming this year. (We suspect that’s mostly because Rick remembered the killer lunch from the year before.)
Thanks to Bill Hoelcher and Bob McCarthy who were helpful, generous, timers, talented thermal pilots, and all-round really interesting guys!
Thanks to Skye (cool name) Malcolm who stayed later than he planned on Sunday to time for us when a bunch of us all ended up in the same heat.
Thanks to Ben and all the guys from Chicago who were trying to get us to come to the SOAR contest this Fall. Ben, my wife used to say that you’ve always gotta be careful what you ask for, you might get it;… so we’ll fix you guys,… we’re all comin!
Thanks also to all you guys I didn't happen to mention, (.. brain fade taking over here a bit), but it was an impressive and interesting gang out there this weekend!

Thanks again to Joe and the DARTS!!!

Barn
Jul 12, 2010, 05:22 PM
Garth and I just got home to WI after staying one more night in Dayton. This contest was well worth the trip. The pace was excellent, the flying site very good, and the weather gave a nice mix of conditions over the two days. Joe did a great job of running the contest, so a big thank you to him and his crew.

It was fun catching up with friends and meeting new ones. As for the details, I'll let Tom's upcoming post do the talking.

Ben, make sure Steve comes to as many contests as possible. I thought he flew very well, and Garth and I laughing about his stories made the trip home go quickly.

Congratulations to Gavin for winning on both days!

I look forward to seeing a lot of you at the NATS.

Ryan Thompson
Jul 12, 2010, 06:18 PM
Challenge is rewarding
Awesome Job Gavin.
Jul 12, 2010, 07:37 PM
Hat's off to Joe for a great contest! He is a great guy!
Even though I won the "dope award", (Launched my new taboo with the wrong model) I had a great time!
I am still learning, and everyone I met here, unselfishly offered me their knowledge, time, and help regardless of experience level.
Gerald, thanks for your patience, and spending some of your time with me.
Thanks for letting me fly your planes.
I learned a lot. It's all about the details, and you seem to have them nailed.
I hope to see you many of you guy's at the Nats!
Jul 12, 2010, 08:13 PM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFergus
Even though I won the "dope award", (Launched my new taboo with the wrong model) I had a great time!........
I'm glad I gave it something soft to hit on its re-entry LOL
Jul 12, 2010, 08:30 PM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
I rolled in from Dayton, last night about 11:30, just getting caught back up now so I figured I'd hit this thread.

This was my first DLG contest I have ever been to, Ben Roberto talked me into going telling me that it would be a great contest to try, and it was.

On the way there, I pulled out a copy of the F3K rules and read them, and Ben patiently explained them task by task. I was pretty nervous about this whole deal, but it was totally unfounded.

I had several goals for this contest, and none of them were very lofty. I wanted to learn and experience the tasks (check). Stay out of dead last place (check). Have fun (BIG CHECK) and bring the birds home safely (check)

If I try to list acknowledgments, I'm going to fail, but I'll go through a few anyway.

Thanks to my fellow SOAR members Ben Roberto and Steve Myer, for helping equip me with airplanes. I'm hooked, we'll be building some birds this fall I'm sure. Ben did a great job explaining the tasks and "strategery" to me before the contest, and it made it 10x easier going out to fly them without trying to wrestle with understanding them at the same time.

Thanks to Gavin Trussell, he coughed up a servo from his spares box to help me keep my backup bird online after one of my HS-55's melted down in its case. He was also the source of much entertainment all weekend, he is a freak'n nut!!

Thanks to Bruce, who coughed up a few gold nuggets of wisdom to me. Some on purpose, and some when I was eve's dropping when he was giving others some words of advice and encouragement. Bruce is true ambassador for the hobby.

To the Wisconsin guys, Ryan and Garth, thanks for the shade, and the comradeship. Even though I just met you guys, I feel like we have been old friends. I can't wait to fly with you guys again!

To Tom Siler, thanks for the timing help, and the tidbits of local field knowledge. Most insightful!

To the DART guys, job well done... Ben was right, I couldn't have picked a better contest to go to for my first DLG experience.

To the guy that hit me in the butt with his airplane, after closer inspection, I found a crack..... LOL

You guys haven't seen the last of me, I'm gonna practice up some, and come drive ya'll crazy!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve
Jul 12, 2010, 09:11 PM
We ever going to see scores? I heard Gavin whupped everybody, but so far it's just heresy.
Sounds like great fun. Times like this I wish I was more centrally located. Ask me again in February
Dave

Quick Reply