Jul 07, 2010, 01:05 AM
Thread OP
Steve (Meyer)

What frequency are you on?

As far as I know, I did not get an email for pre-registration, only your posts here saying you are coming.

I need your frequency prior to Thursday noon so I can make the flight groups and print out score cards. Have a nice trip!

Joe Mekina
DARTS HLG CD
to remove ads between posts
Jul 07, 2010, 01:18 AM
Thread OP
All,

Looks like a cold front is due to arrive Thursday, this will be a MOST welcome relief to some abnormally hot weather. Right now they are saying the cold front will be followed by rain on Friday, then 2 days (Saturday and Sunday) of nice weather. They are saying temps in the low to mid 80's for the day, and low 60's at night. This is about 10 degrees lower than presently for both days and nights!

I am giving real thoughts to having the contest in the fall again to beat the heat!

Of course the weather predictions can change, but letís hope for good flying conditions.

I am now doing a few last minute things, and I will follow later tonight with a post here and an email to those who pre-registered via email, but nothing earth-shattering, probably just a final note that says all is a go!

In any event, I am going to finalize the flight groups and print the score cards at noon on Thursday, so if you have any intentions on entering, I would appreciate you pre-registering before then

Joe Mekina
DARTS HLG CD
Jul 07, 2010, 07:27 AM
Bruce Davidson
Thanks for the updates Joe. I am using 2.4

Bruce
Jul 07, 2010, 09:37 AM
Scott Zastoupil
Joe,

Are we allowed to fly on Friday in between the rain showers?

Can we leave our popups on the field overnight?

Thanks and look forward to meeting you this weekend.

Scott
Jul 07, 2010, 04:32 PM
G_T
G_T
Any recommendation on a decent place to stay?

Gerald
Jul 07, 2010, 09:07 PM
BenRoberto
Motel 6
800 N. Broad St.
Fairborn, OH

ph 937.879.3920
Jul 07, 2010, 10:22 PM
Thread OP
Scott, and others,

The short answer to flying on Friday is yes.

I will not arrive until Saturday morning, but feel free to fly all you want on Friday, subject to the restrictions I will outline below:

Keep in mind that our field is a public park and we are guests there. We share the park with other primary special interest groups as well as with the general public. The other big users of the park are horse people, so above all do not do anything to provoke them. Most of the horse activity is to the South West of our field where they have dedicated facilities. However, they do at times ride on our portion of the field, but not on contest days as we have formal permission for exclusive use of the flying field area during our contests. The area where we fly gliders is the area highlighted on the picture in my first post of this thread and the DARTS webpage for this contest, and we need to fly from this area.

So, if you arrive early on Friday and want to fly, do so, but also keep in mind we don't have a permanent frequency control station located at the field. We bring our frequency control pins with us when we gather at flying sessions and all contests. The frequency control pins will not be present until Saturday when I arrive. Having said this, there are what I would term “park flyers” that at times also fly electrics to the North East, in the area between the parking lot and the road. Usually they do so in the mornings and late evenings, when the winds are calm. They are limited to electrics, no gas allowed due to the fact that the park is also a horse park. Usually, these park flyers are flying on 2.4 GHZ and present no problem. On contest days, we take a proactive approach and send people over to them periodically to make sure they know that we are running 72 MHZ stuff to and maintain frequency control via a cloths pin system. But, most of the time, they come over to us, so this is not needed anyways. They are within sight distance and it is not a problem to keep an eye on them. Most of the time many are flying the Parkzone stuff on 2.4 GHZ anyways. My point in all of this is that you may fly on Friday, but you are responsible to keep your own frequency control. It is really not a big deal, when you get there you will see the layout and feel at ease with keeping an eye out for the electric flyers who may or may not be flying.

As for leaving popups on the field overnight, I would have to say no, that we do not have permission to do that. I am also told that the park is locked down at night, at the road, though I have never been there late enough to witness this personally. I have stayed to dark, but left shortly after and never observed the lock down.

What I would recommend is that you guys fly out of the shelter of Friday, as it is a wonderful place to stage from. It has a hard roof and an array of picnic tables.

Only issue in staging at the shelter is it is a good 30 yards to the actual flying field and there is one huge tree on the field, and you will see it in the picture also, it is directly west of the shelter, (left on the picture). There are some other small trees between the shelter and glider field too, but nothing as significant as the huge tree. Come contest day, we will run the contest from under the huge tree which provides shade in the morning, and our popups cover us in the afternoon. Guys typically set up popups during the contests in the area between the shelter and the field to the South of the huge tree. If you guys get there early enough on Friday and the weather is not rain, you can set up you popups, but keep in mind you should take them with you overnight. Again, if you are dodging rain on Friday, I would suggest you just hang out in the shelter, but go for setting up your popups if you so desire, just count on taking them down. Same for Saturday, nothing should be left on the field overnight, sorry.

Also, please keep in mind that we are NOT allowed to park on the grass, and must park in the parking lot. Yes, we can drive on the grass to drop stuff off, but then must immediately place our cars in the parking lot. But, if it is raining, and the field is soft, do not drive on the grass at all, as it will leave ruts in it. In that event, just walk your stuff from the parking lot to the flying area. Good common sense rules here, I sure you guys understand what I am getting at.

Last, but not least, I am pretty certain that no alcohol is permitted in the park. I am not 100% sure of this, but again, be on the safe side and don’t create a problem with it.

Also, as a backup for something to do on Friday, the USAF Museum at Wright Patterson AFB is a good free museum and is nearby. Mr Google can help you if you are interested, but it is a daytime thing, as I think they close at 5:00 PM

Enjoy your trip, I’ll see you all early Saturday morning

Joe Mekina
DARTS HLG CD
Last edited by Jumpin Joe; Jul 15, 2010 at 04:13 PM. Reason: clarified a few things
Jul 08, 2010, 08:09 AM
Thread OP
Guys,

I have posted the official F3K rules on our club website, there is also a direct link to them in this post below

These F#K rules were taken from the official FAI Sporting Code. As many of you know, the official FAI Sporting Code is quite an animal, covering all of the aeromodeling disciplines. Often it is hard to navigate the FAI Sporting Code and get to the info that applies. This particular set of rules pertain only to our event, F3K Ė RC HAND LAUNCH GLIDERS.

The neat thing about this particular file is that it is only 9 pages since only the rules that pertain to F3K rules are presented. Usually if one goes directly to the FAI website, one can only download the entire Section 3, Volume 4, which is 44 pages long and has all of the other F3 soaring events (F3B, F3F, F3J, F3K, F3H, F3Q and annex 3A)

Being these rules are only 9 pages, I suggest you print off a copy and bone up on them prior to the contest. Iíll also have a printed copy at the scoring tent for reference.

Direct link to the 2010 F3K rules:
http://www.daytonsoaring.org/rules/2010-F3K.pdf

Direct link to our DARTS 2010 HLG Contest page:
http://www.daytonsoaring.org/darts-hlg-2010.htm

Joe Mekina
DARTS HLG CD

For the record, these were taken from the official FAI Sporting Code, Section 4 Aeromodelling, Volume F3, Radio Control Soaring, Model Aircraft, 2010 Edition, Revised Edition, Effective 1st January 2010.
Jul 08, 2010, 11:19 AM
Thanks for information Joe.

The NE Wisconsin crew is leaving after work tonight, so we can head to the museum and Radical on Friday.

Does anyone have recommendations for good restaurants with good beer in the Dayton area?

Thanks,

Ryan Thompson
Jul 08, 2010, 01:22 PM
BenRoberto
Drive to Columbus:

The Tilted Kilt
8665 Sancus Blvd.
Columbus, OH, 43240

http://www.tiltedkilt.com

I'll give Scott a call when I'm in town.

Joe, Steve Meyer will not make it this year.

-- b
Jul 08, 2010, 01:57 PM
Thread OP
Ryan,

When you stop in at Radical RC, be sure and ask for Dave who is the owner, tell him you are in town for the RC HLG Contest that I am running. Dave is one of our sponsors; he likes to promote the hobby and is an all around good guy! He would be glad to know that the contest brought you guys into his shop too! BTW, I am sure you know this, but Radical RC is directly across the street from the USAF Museum, easy to go to both.

I am pretty sure the micro brewery that Dayton used to have closed it's doors recently, so I really don't have a good recommendation on par with the kind Ben was pointing you to in Columbus, but I will say, it is about an hour drive to Columbus to go to the place he referred you to! Good beer? In hot weather like this, cold beer is good beer!

There are plenty of restaurants near the Fairfield Commons Mall, just south on I-675 at the N. Fairfeld Rd exit, lots of stuff, full blown, buffets, fast food, etc

You all have a good trip!

Joe Mekina
DARTS HLG CD
Last edited by Jumpin Joe; Jul 08, 2010 at 02:22 PM.
Jul 09, 2010, 08:47 PM
Steve Meyer
I really wanted to make this contest, good warmup for the NATS.

All my planets just fell out of alignment I will have to sit this one out. Next year....

Go Ben!
Jul 09, 2010, 08:54 PM
Steve Meyer
By the way, I have had the Twin Towers coordinates in my GPS for over 6 years!

N39 49.203 W83 56.696
Jul 10, 2010, 01:36 AM
Scott Zastoupil
I really wanted to make it to this contest, but my back fell out of alignment. ha ha. Well I visited the chiropractor this morning and seems like it's feeling better and hope I'm able to recoup for the NATS. Good luck guys and should be being giving one of you a jingle at about beer-thirty Sat. night.
Jul 10, 2010, 06:52 PM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Good thermal day. Gerald and Gavin are nip and tuck at the top with several of us in pretty close proximity. We flew 10 rounds today in generally good air with some iffy times.

Hopefully Joe will post the scores later tonight. There was a computer glitch at the end of the contest so we didn't get them published right away.

I really need a shower.

Quick Reply