Apr 18, 2012, 12:52 PM
Hey guys, I've got an ezuhf, are Sander style antennas the way to go still? If so what wire do you recommend, does any really mean any?! Also where can you get those sma connectors in the uk, and what plastic tubing works and is easy to get in the uk, thought about tubing for plastic rc car aerials? If any has any spare they want to sell I'm happy to buy!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 18, 2012, 12:55 PM
Quote:
He needs to put his saddle up. Looks like it could be a Trek Remedy but there wasn't a close enough shot to really see.
That's because he's a downhill man really. Didn't like having to pedal uphill for the multiple takes

Quote:
Nice tracking Malcolm, get a rider with some skills on some technical trails next
He actually does have some serious skills - He is well up there in the masters class of downhill racing. Unfortunately it was not in the script for that shoot, which was used in a Welsh Green Party video....

Hopefully next time we can try something a bit more exciting.

Malcolm
Apr 18, 2012, 01:09 PM
When in doubt, throttle out...
Quote:
Originally Posted by highviz
Thanks Alfred - but I thought I made it a bit too long.

Here's one with a little more action in it, but not such pretty subject matter!

http://vimeo.com/40594209

Malcolm
VERY impressive Malcolm, you've got that copter doing what you want.

:-)
Apr 18, 2012, 01:57 PM
Fixed wings can be Drones too!
Quote:

He actually does have some serious skills - He is well up there in the masters class of downhill racing.

Malcolm
And they had him coasting down old road??! Waste.

Look forward to seeing some more arial MTB footage, it's what I'm interested in filming and the reason I got into RC and multi rotors in the first place.
Apr 18, 2012, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewpix
Hey guys, I've got an ezuhf, are Sander style antennas the way to go still? If so what wire do you recommend, does any really mean any?! Also where can you get those sma connectors in the uk, and what plastic tubing works and is easy to get in the uk, thought about tubing for plastic rc car aerials? If any has any spare they want to sell I'm happy to buy!
Yep sander style if you have the diversity receiver is best. The wire gage doesn't matter, I used 22. The Sam connectors I got from chinaRF on eBay but I've since found them on RS Components. I ended up getting a snake kit for an easy star to make the antenna tubes, perfect for it. They are really easy to make.
Apr 18, 2012, 02:04 PM
I have some Sander Style made up I could sell you actually, save you the trouble of getting the bits and making them yourself. Up to you.
Apr 18, 2012, 02:09 PM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upup
Hi Mike

I would be very interested in your opinion of these, a video would be great, I am looking for something to put on my Habu and eflight are just to expensive

Regards Jeff
There are plenty of videos of these about, they are the EPF hobby ones http://www.epf.com.tw or exact-looking copies, I think they were the first affordable electric retracts. If no videos make you happy I will make you one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthWorkx
I think mike will be a tough nut to crack.

However, after watching mike's last flight i fancy building up a funjet
I thought you did just make one, with the cool looking filed-down bits?
Apr 18, 2012, 02:14 PM
Quad lover.
I bought this a couple of days ago
http://fpvhobby.com/20-4-ghz-receiver-module.html
It says it has a PCB mount for antenna, does that come with it or do I need to buy my own? Also on the antenna part of the receiver, it has three connections, shouldn't it only have two? Ground and the Signal.
Apr 18, 2012, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosdestro0
I bought this a couple of days ago
http://fpvhobby.com/20-4-ghz-receiver-module.html
It says it has a PCB mount for antenna, does that come with it or do I need to buy my own? Also on the antenna part of the receiver, it has three connections, shouldn't it only have two? Ground and the Signal.
If you solder an SMA connector it has ground both sides of the signal in order to keep the joint shielded. I've not done one of these types of receivers but I'm sure CJ will be along any moment....
Apr 18, 2012, 02:38 PM
Quad lover.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno Complaino
If you solder an SMA connector it has ground both sides of the signal in order to keep the joint shielded. I've not done one of these types of receivers but I'm sure CJ will be along any moment....
Oh OK. So am I right in thinking that you solder all 4 legs and the central one?
Will put a picture up, to show you what I mean.
Apr 18, 2012, 02:49 PM
What was that...
Thread OP
Quote:
Thanks Alfred - but I thought I made it a bit too long.

Here's one with a little more action in it, but not such pretty subject matter!

http://vimeo.com/40594209

Malcolm
Top notch Malc, nicley done
Apr 18, 2012, 02:53 PM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno Complaino
I'm always here wayne, lurking :P.

the solution is thus;
Name: IMG_2410.jpg
Views: 94
Size: 156.0 KB
Description: One way to do it, I would recommend a healthy blob of hot glue under the SMA connector as the connection can be brittle.

This is how I first did it, though I wouldn't recommend it as you don't often find you need to change the antenna.

Name: IMG_2411.jpg
Views: 73
Size: 292.7 KB
Description: My preferred method

This is the way I prefer to do things, no SMA, very little loss when we start counting your dBi along the signal chain. offers a better connection, easier to solder. pre tin the cable by separating the earth sheath, twisting it out opposite each other, and curve them round to meet the correct shape on the PCB, pre tin them into shape, tin the centre wire, you only need an exposed millimetre. hold both Rx and antenna wire in place with a clamp, the PCB notches should line up pretty well, warm and run solder, be as swift as you can so as not damage the Rx circuitry , then coat in hot glue for strength, or liquid electrical tape where strength is not required. I highly recommend liquid electrical tape on the other connections be it Tx or Rx of this type, I use them a lot and the protection is well worth it.

CJ
Apr 18, 2012, 02:57 PM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
don't try to solder all 4 legs to the Rx whatever you do, line up the center pin and solder that, then try the legs closest to the PCB, you could solder to the shield on the other side, but again, not recommended. Also, i wouldn't use extension cables unless you've got an extension SMA pigtail you can use similar to the direct method shown should you require regular disconnection. Tbh I have one for my linear stuff that I never use, one for my SPW (as this picks up linear just as well as a whip, except that its properly tuned :P) and one for my helical.

CJ
Apr 18, 2012, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos230023
I'm always here wayne, lurking :P.CJ
Right on que

Quick Reply