Nov 03, 2011, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyEyes
I read quite recently to "hire" one for an hour, or afternoon, was a crazy price too!
I am not surprised. Jet-Skis costs £10-£15 to hire for 10 minutes. From a business perspective, once you take the fuel costs out (and they are very fuel hungry) it takes you 1.5-2 seasons to recoup the cost of buying the Jet-Ski and and you have another 1.5-2 seasons to make profit from it before it gets worn out and nobody wants to ride it (colours fade, decorative stickers fall off, soft foot pads get worn, leather seat gets cracks, engine gives you trouble every few weeks etc). If the initial investment in buying the JetLev is 10 times more than buying a Jet-Ski the hire costs should be at least £150 for a 10 minutes ride.

-Angelos
to remove ads between posts
Nov 03, 2011, 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthPawPaul
...or should I just bin it and stump up another 50 Euros and buy another?
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlands
Dont bin it - send it Angelos, he has a great track record for bringing things back to life!
I'll be happy to have a look at it but... that capacitor seems to be part of the SMPS regulator and the fact that it is fried could possibly mean that other things have been fried too from a possible over-voltage.

But in any case I can give an definite answer to justify putting it the bin or not.

-Angelos
Nov 03, 2011, 05:39 AM
Electronics slayer
Thanks for the offer Angelos. PM sent.
Nov 03, 2011, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelos
I am not surprised. Jet-Skis costs £10-£15 to hire for 10 minutes. From a business perspective, once you take the fuel costs out (and they are very fuel hungry) it takes you 1.5-2 seasons to recoup the cost of buying the Jet-Ski and and you have another 1.5-2 seasons to make profit from it before it gets worn out and nobody wants to ride it (colours fade, decorative stickers fall off, soft foot pads get worn, leather seat gets cracks, engine gives you trouble every few weeks etc). If the initial investment in buying the JetLev is 10 times more than buying a Jet-Ski the hire costs should be at least £150 for a 10 minutes ride.

-Angelos
All very interesting. So do you run or belong to a water sports company, as you are very knowledgable on the subject. Sounds alot of fun!

Just recently I was looking into buying a speedboat, then a handful of water "toys" that you'd tow people along behind it - just for some weekend fun. Could get something quite nice - however, living inland, Im not exactly located in the best place to make the most of such a craft. So that idea went out the window quite quickly!

Saying all this, its enough of a task convincing the wife why I require ANOTHER plane or FPV Camera......... let alone if a speedboat suddenly appeared on the driveway! lol.
Nov 03, 2011, 06:00 AM
What was that...
Thread OP
Just out of interest i wonder if anyone has a set of SkyWalker wings that thay have spare and dont need - That i can buy?
No i didn't crash, just that when i built my skywalker last year i bonded the wings together but should have left them in 2 pieces (well it makes it a bit awkward getting them in the car). If not i'll build a set.
Nov 03, 2011, 06:05 AM
Quote:
All very interesting. So do you run or belong to a water sports company, as you are very knowledgable on the subject. Sounds alot of fun!
Used to work at my uncle's water sports business in Greece up to the point that I finished university and my long summer holidays were gone.... if you could call that work!

-Angelos
Nov 03, 2011, 06:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelos
Used to work at my uncle's water sports business in Greece up to the point that I finished university and my long summer holidays were gone.... if you could call that work!

-Angelos
Sounds sweet!!

Infact my wife is Turkish and wants the three of us (with our daughter) to move back to her home country at some point. I've said to her I will only do it if we move next to the sea somewhere - so I can packup my occupation within the IT sector here in the UK, and start up some Scuba / Water sports business.

............well, if she wants me to give up my life here, to go live in another country, Im not going to do it unless there is something worthwhile out there for me!
Nov 03, 2011, 06:21 AM
Fly fast, Dont crash.
A little multicopter proximity from me.

Grit (3 min 47 sec)
Nov 03, 2011, 06:26 AM
Electronics slayer
Nice video.

I'm hoping to get a camera on my WiiQuad at some point.

How do you find flying it under the goggles? Do you find it difficult to maintain a hover at anything but low altitude?
Nov 03, 2011, 10:55 AM
Fly fast, Dont crash.
in short... pretty easy, no probs with hovering.
Nov 03, 2011, 01:06 PM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthWorkx
Just out of interest i wonder if anyone has a set of SkyWalker wings that thay have spare and dont need - That i can buy?
No i didn't crash, just that when i built my skywalker last year i bonded the wings together but should have left them in 2 pieces (well it makes it a bit awkward getting them in the car). If not i'll build a set.
I have a spare set Inc carbon rods but without alierons. They were lost in the first skywalker crash. Wings popped off and survived. The spar rods are fine. And their the V3 wings with the inbuilt carbon strengthening spar. I've got enough block EPP to carve out some ailerons if your without any spare material.

CJ
Nov 03, 2011, 02:08 PM
Happy Days
What we have told the club commitee is that because of the issue with 2.4 possibly interferring with other peolpes tx's we will fly on 5.8 which we have ordered and received. Apparently the leagal output is 25mw and we have got as close as we can to this number as we have not yet found that actual rated one.
We have said we are looking to fly planes up to Easystar size, mainly pusher type small planes to make being hit as safe as possible. I will be finishing off my mini skywalker to demo to them.
We have said that we will carry both types of insurance bma and fpv.
They have to change their constitution to allow the use of fpv planes at the flying site.
I know it's real toned down but this is the only way we can fly here and encouarge those that have expressed an interest in buying gear in the new year. At least we can stop them from buying crap tlike we all did when we started out.

Saying all that my new SW has arrived along with the fiberglass belly skid.
Just need to start fitting it all back together and doing a new pan and tilt system.
Now have a beefy 45g 360 degree sail servo to fit and then make a pan tilt that can carry the 600vtl and gopro at the same time, have 360 degree firld of view and look straight down as well. Piece of cake.

PAUL aint forgottern just had to work this week for a change.
Nov 03, 2011, 02:10 PM
Happy Days
Quote:
Sounds sweet!!

Infact my wife is Turkish and wants the three of us (with our daughter) to move back to her home country at some point. I've said to her I will only do it if we move next to the sea somewhere - so I can packup my occupation within the IT sector here in the UK, and start up some Scuba / Water sports business.

............well, if she wants me to give up my life here, to go live in another country, Im not going to do it unless there is something worthwhile out there for me!
I here yay

I'm getting engaged in two weeks to my American GF who has moved back to the states.
Looking to move out there in a little under two years and become a farmer.
Who would of thought it. can't wait to go.
Nov 03, 2011, 02:26 PM
When in doubt, throttle out...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudlark
I here yay

I'm getting engaged in two weeks to my American GF who has moved back to the states.
Looking to move out there in a little under two years and become a farmer.
Who would of thought it. can't wait to go.
FPV + USA farmland? that sounds like an excellent combo!
Nov 03, 2011, 02:41 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upup
Don't want to rain on the apparent acceptance of fpv and any move forward has got to be a good thing, but be careful what responsibility you are accepting may have got this wrong but sounds like if there IS an accident you may be the one that has to explain it.

In some ways the growth of fpv may not be a good thing, we are very much in a minority and still just below the radar but the more it catches on the more probable there will be some skilless inconsiderate numbnut who thinks he can copy say Trappy or Gabrial right out of a RTF box.=

Regards Jeff
make sure your status is clear ... Advisor or committee member...committee members bear some legal responsibility for club activities. on the other hand, as a regular member you answer for your actions with the committee as your representative .
for example, in the club we have a member who crashed and his lipos started a fire on a stubble field. I was lucky the fire was put off really quick with no consequences.
As the club chairman, they would come and knock at my door first. then I would have to produce a report in conjunction with the "offending" member so
we can present our case to the insurance company.
Also a joint visit to the offended party with cap in hand and tail between the legs to offer apologies and do some damage limitations etc etc....

Quick Reply