Jun 12, 2010, 03:33 PM
What was that...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99 View Post
Yes indeed.

It's like my friend Frank who lost his plane a couple of fields away. I found it using my radian and camera but the poor thing was surrounded by cows.

Not only they trampled all over the plane but they also dumped on it. Frank had to get his hands into the creamy warm mess to retrieve his receiver

Creamy warm mess? What had those cows been eating?
to remove ads between posts
Jun 12, 2010, 04:38 PM
yes i saw that rescue mission rcmonster well done begs the next question has anyone used there fpv to there advantage ie being high above a police chase ha ha or close to any natural wonders i saw some pics once on the other forums about one guy in la who was taking aerial pics high above the la fires very sad but on a possitive note the pics were fascinating to look at .. just thought i would ask
Jun 13, 2010, 11:38 AM
Introduction

I'm Rick, live in Truro - Cornwall and am setting off into the world of FPV. Finding it a bit of a headache trying to see which gear to buy/use etc but can't wait.

Have built a couple of planes from foam (from the aerial photography forum on here) and have a Spectra G Helicopter that I'd like to use - though I may have to go to electric for less vibrations.

I have been looking at the dragon link system ( but want to get up and running with the standard equipment first). I have got myself an eagle tree kit with OSD and a monitor etc. I love the idea of flying by goggles so have been looking at those too.

So I'm almost ready to start - and will be looking to increase range using Dragon link and some enhanced video transmission to get the best distance - more for security than going a huge distance.

Any suggestions on the setup to use for transmitting my video back for FPV to get the best distance. How can you get better distance out of 2.4ghz gear? Legally or pushing the boudaries a little so to speak. My dad is a Radio Ham so if I wanted to use th estronger gear for certain jobs he could come along too!

Great thread idea - any other forums recommended for this subject?
Jun 13, 2010, 11:43 AM
Hello Rick, welcome!

I grew up in Truro and my family still live there. However, I moved closer to London for my work. You have fantastic scenery and open space down there, will be great for FPV. Infact, some aerial flying over coastal locations/beaches will be pretty cool !

This forum is definately a great place to start, all the info you could need can be found here!

Good luck !!
Jun 13, 2010, 12:06 PM
Hi Rick,

Unfortunately, your Dad being a radio Ham counts for nothing as far as FPV is concerned.
I'm licenced as well and can transmit with hundreds of watts on certain bands, but the moment I put any ATV (Amateur TeleVision) or FPV into the air, I'm restricted to the legal bands & output of 2.4GHz/10mW or 5.8GHz/25mW - I did say legally didn't I

Nigel.
Jun 13, 2010, 12:11 PM
Praying for better weather
Lol yeah cos we all stick to legall outputs lol
Jun 13, 2010, 12:22 PM
Hi Devonboy,
where in Devon are you?

So what gear 'would' you guys use if the legislation were to be relaxed. I won't ask what you 'do' use as that might not be legal.

Also - 2.4/5.8? Is there a preference between those? I thought it was only 2.4 for use here? (Still learning obviously!)

I understand the dragonlink works on a legal frequency of 433mhz - is that right?

Jetstreamin - yeah some great locations for some cracking video stuff - I have a head full of ideas - St Michaels Mount, Minnack Theatre etc. Can't wait to get the FPV up and running so I can see the camera view to frame things up better.

thanks for your help
Jun 13, 2010, 12:31 PM
What was that...
Thread OP
Just go for a 500mW 2.4G VTX and a Duo diversity from ImmersionRC. Feed it in to a EzTracker and use a P&T from Servo City. Use a 14dBi patch antenna and a 3dBi onmi and you'll be sorted.

The way i see it it that using a 10mW tx for FPV is Fking dangerious. You get to the other side of the park and loose video
Jun 13, 2010, 12:33 PM
What he said, of course if i were to be going abroad were you could " legally " use it
Jun 13, 2010, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthWorkx View Post
Just go for a 500mW 2.4G VTX and a Duo diversity from ImmersionRC. Feed it in to a EzTracker and use a P&T from Servo City. Use a 14dBi patch antenna and a 3dBi onmi and you'll be sorted.

The way i see it it that using a 10mW tx for FPV is Fking dangerious. You get to the other side of the park and loose video
You make a good point, by restricting us to 10mw they are in fact making it more dangerous. Im on 5.8ghz 250mw with yellowjacket diversity reciever, havent done any long range tests yet but its line of sight frequency so Im not expecting amazing stuff. My intention is simple park radious flying.
Last edited by malcr001; Jun 13, 2010 at 12:51 PM.
Jun 13, 2010, 01:08 PM
ok - now I know I have just had in one post what I have spent quite some time trying to learn by reading and not asking stupid questions. But I don't fully comprehend so maybe you can give me that last bit of help and I can get my shopping list nailed!

J500mW 2.4G VTX
Not sure what VTX stand for (the V?) but this is the transmitter from the plane. Got that.

Duo diversity from ImmersionRC.
A receiver on the ground for the video link which will work on two frequencies picking the stronger of the two signals - is that right?

EzTracker - not heard of this but a quick look says this is on the plane sending the signal down to the ground which can steer the antenna?

P&T from Servo City - a pan and tilt unit for the antenna

** EDIT - it says the eztracker has to be used with the ezOSD? is that right - is my investment in Eagle Tree gear not compatible?

These last two I'm not sure of.
Use a 14dBi patch antenna - the ground 2.4ghz antenna - I can look into that

I don't know what this is below
3dBi onmi

thanks again
Jun 13, 2010, 01:09 PM
By the way - in the AP section there is a group inthe UK that have an annual (and sometimes more frequent) meet - that sort of thing appeal to you guys?

Anybody else use this for AP or just for the fun of flying FPV?

Rick
Jun 13, 2010, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote64 View Post
Lol yeah cos we all stick to legall outputs lol
Of course we do.. I for one, would never dream of flying while transmitting anything more than 10 mW
Jun 13, 2010, 01:39 PM
Talking of line of site (malcr001) - is 2.4 and 5.8 line of site? or do you make the point more because you are using 5.8?

Sorry for asking maybe stupid questions - but I feel like this is the opportunity I have been looking for!
Jun 13, 2010, 01:42 PM
Quote:
J500mW 2.4G VTX
Not sure what VTX stand for (the V?) but this is the transmitter from the plane.
Video transmitter ( VTX )

Quote:
Duo diversity from ImmersionRC.
A receiver on the ground for the video link which will work on two frequencies picking the stronger of the two signals - is that right?
No, you plug 2x antennas in and it picks the best picture from each one

Quote:
EzTracker - not heard of this but a quick look says this is on the plane sending the signal down to the ground which can steer the antenna?

P&T from Servo City - a pan and tilt unit for the antenna

** EDIT - it says the eztracker has to be used with the ezOSD? is that right - is my investment in Eagle Tree gear not compatible?
No its not compatible, but eagletree do their own antenna tracking

Quote:
These last two I'm not sure of.
Use a 14dBi patch antenna - the ground 2.4ghz antenna - I can look into that

I don't know what this is below
3dBi onmi

thanks again
3bdi omni antenna is a rubber ducky antenna with 3dbi of gain

14dbi patch antenna can reach further but is directional, both used together with a duo is a good system

But if your starting off i`d re do your list and start simple

Quick Reply