Jan 22, 2020, 06:00 PM
Subsonic FPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by highviz
Spy in the Wild series 2 starts tonight at 9pm on BBC1. - Lots of multirotor based flying devices mixed in with the animatronic spy creatures. Should be a hummingbird, Black Vulture, Fruit bat and possibly others tonight...

If you are sad enough to watch breakfast/ morning TV you may have seen a preview of some of them over the last couple of days, but lots more to come over the 4 part series.

Malc
Bloody brilliant Malc!! Amazing work!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 24, 2020, 07:13 AM
Subsonic FPV
How many people have registered so far... anyone know? Interesting to know the take-up.
Jan 24, 2020, 08:45 AM
Went to mow a meadow
This bloke reckons 80000 +

How true it is I don't know...

::🤯 CAA Drone Registration - 80,000+ REGISTERED!!! (DMARES) | Mr MPW (11 min 50 sec)
Jan 24, 2020, 09:08 AM
Everyone at our flying club - 28 souls. SAA insurance is contingent on registering, and club rules insist on insurance cover for site flying.
Jan 24, 2020, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGOOLIEBIRD
How many people have registered so far... anyone know? Interesting to know the take-up.
I have even though I disagree with it. I even pay BBC licence even though I have no antenna's or sat dishes on property. I have not flown fpv lately but plan to. Maybe tomorrow, hope you can join at some point, don't want to be the only noise maker.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Jan 24, 2020, 10:55 AM
Subsonic FPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiZen
I have even though I disagree with it. I even pay BBC licence even though I have no antenna's or sat dishes on property. I have not flown fpv lately but plan to. Maybe tomorrow, hope you can join at some point, don't want to be the only noise maker.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I can join you for social, but can't fly at the club anymore. I am still a member of the club and will continue to support it through my membership.
Jan 24, 2020, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn203
Everyone at our flying club - 28 souls. SAA insurance is contingent on registering, and club rules insist on insurance cover for site flying.
Same for the 55 members of my club, for the same reason
Jan 24, 2020, 02:52 PM
Went to mow a meadow
There are about 80 members at the local club, I would think that it is probably an average size club, 80k registrations would mean there would have to be a thousand clubs in the UK? How many clubs are there?

I honestly can't see lone fliers registering - any thoughts?
Jan 24, 2020, 03:08 PM
I often fly FPV on my own, as there are few guys at the site who also do it. If I didn't sometimes fly at a club and wasn't a committee member, I would definitely not register.
Jan 24, 2020, 03:33 PM
Happy Days
I'm still resisting. But not really flown recently except the mini mavic and Dart 250
Jan 24, 2020, 08:06 PM
Subsonic FPV
Interesting! Mixed answers. Some people just did it without too many worries..others kind of forced to comply or not be able to fly at clubs, others resistant.. I wonder how it has affected BMFA membership numbers.. Hopefully not much. I am sad so many people have complied with the CAA and validated the whole crappy idea. I hoped we would be stronger than that and the whole thing would be a hugely expensive and embarrassing flop for them. There will be more restrictions/regulations to come now, and the price will certainly go up. We are now a nice tidy revenue stream... Is the registration a single payment, or an annual 'fee' ?
Last edited by OMEGOOLIEBIRD; Jan 24, 2020 at 08:22 PM.
Jan 25, 2020, 04:02 AM
Quote:
Is the registration a single payment, or an annual 'fee' ?
Annual fee
Jan 25, 2020, 05:53 AM
Subsonic FPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu_999
Annual fee
Revenue stream... You don't have to pay for a driving license every year. Vultures pecking the life out of our hobby.
Last edited by OMEGOOLIEBIRD; Jan 25, 2020 at 12:25 PM.
Jan 25, 2020, 08:24 AM
For flying out loud!
I'm a 'country pilot' and I registered

I don't agree with registering, but I fly mostly at a somewhat busy park flying smallish planes, I flew almost everyday last year, and although most of the time I have no problems (and a crowd of poeple in amazement watching) sometimes someone has a problem because I distracted there dog or something similar.

In those cases I've had the police called a couple of times (when they realise what they've been called out for they are more mad at the person that called them, and then usually just stay around to watch) so again, so being legal is kind of a necessity
Jan 25, 2020, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Revenue stream... You don't have to pay for a driving license every year. Vultures pecking the life out of our hobby.
Unfortunately I think it's worse than that. The airspace we occupy used to be worthless, that why we were allowed to use it. Thanks to Amazon et al wanting to use delivery drones, this airspace has become a saleable commodity. If the Gov just "banned" all RC models from using it we would have a legitimate argument (excellent safety record, 100 years of prior use ect.) so instead of an outright ban, they'll just squeeze and squeeze with more and more draconian regulations until almost no-one will register. The old boys at my club will never get their heads around geo fencing, or location transponders, so they'll be the first to quit and the rest of us will soon follow.

That's when they'll claim there are no legitimate users of that airspace, and sell it off.

Quick Reply