May 17, 2019, 08:25 AM
I will pass on anything interesting
or my family will if I'm in a cell
to remove ads between posts
May 17, 2019, 08:27 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
the 16 is not the problem here .. I am sure we can all afford the money..it's the sheer imbecility of it and the "legal" protection racket that is being put in place...

"shut up and pay or else !!"

if someone told you that you would report them to the police !! I cannot see the real difference here
May 17, 2019, 08:47 AM
There probably isn't any difference in the long run.
Until registration happens possibly.

Currently few police know the laws governing flying (or about RC in general) but training is being rolled out slowly to groups of police officers and part of it allegedly includes "required documentation".
I don't suppose they'll be willing to trek over private fields on the basis of a public complaint but they could do so if there were claims about "safety"
It is the same as any licensing system and like them is a government supported form of 'demanding money with menaces' Most of us pay the fees for most things to avoid the consequences
May 17, 2019, 08:57 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didactylos4
There probably isn't any difference in the long run.
Until registration happens possibly.

Currently few police know the laws governing flying (or about RC in general) but training is being rolled out slowly to groups of police officers and part of it allegedly includes "required documentation".
I don't suppose they'll be willing to trek over private fields on the basis of a public complaint but they could do so if there were claims about "safety"
It is the same as any licensing system and like them is a government supported form of 'demanding money with menaces' Most of us pay the fees for most things to avoid the consequences
government demand fees in exchange for services:
you get taxed ---> you get NHS , police, roads etc.
fishing Licence?---> you get protection for the environment
road tax ?------> you get road related services
and so on...
BMFA (not government)--->you get support education and insurance

CAA ??? ---> absolutely NOTHING

I'll shut up now... enough ranting, each to their own, I can feel the blood pressure going up
May 17, 2019, 10:17 AM
because rust never sleeps....
Driving in the UK, it costs 34 for a UK Driving license and 17 to renew. So upto the 20th year that is 2.55 a year

How is it fair to ask people enjoying their hobby and not receiving any service in return, 16.50 a year?

And it will only stay as low as that if 170,000 people register. Which is not going to happen.
May 19, 2019, 09:20 AM
CRASH,LAUGH,GLUE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99
the 16 is not the problem here .. I am sure we can all afford the money..it's the sheer imbecility of it and the "legal" protection racket that is being put in place...

"shut up and pay or else !!"

if someone told you that you would report them to the police !! I cannot see the real difference here
You are absolutely right Bernie, this is like a Mafia protection racket. Pay or else..... The consultation only has to be done so they can say they did consult us...totally ignored all the suggestions and objections and went ahead with the original plan anyway. This is a 'tax' and they are trying to legitimise it with notions like 'you have to pay to go fishing too'... If it was in anyway for 'safety', like the song that they are singing to the dumb of the public, then mandatory insurance would be a primary clause. It is an extremely disturbing manifestation of what is no longer a democracy, our entire political system has gone horribly wrong.. voting or replying to consultations is just fulfilling a process to call it democracy, votes are ignored now. But those of us who are waiting for the call to go and burn the houses of parliament to the ground know that it is no longer a democracy, it is something entirely different now..and frankly terrifying..
Last edited by OMEGOOLIEBIRD; May 19, 2019 at 10:13 AM.
May 19, 2019, 10:05 AM
Happy Days
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGOOLIEBIRD
You are absolutely right Bernie, this is like a Mafia protection racket. Pay or else..... The consultation only has to be done so they can say they did consult us...totally ignored all the suggestions and objections and went ahead with the original plan anyway. This is a 'tax' and they are trying to legitimise it with notions like 'you have to pay to go fishing too'... If it was in anyway for 'safety', like the song that they are singing to the dumb of the public, then mandatory insurance would be a primary clause. It is an extremely disturbing manifestation of what is no longer a democracy, and so is our entire political system.. voting or replying to consultations is just fulfilling a process to call it democracy, votes are ignored now apparently. But those of us who are just waiting for the call to go and burn the houses of parliament to the ground know that it is no longer a democracy, it is something entirely different now..and frankly terrifying.. The Englishman will not stand this treatment for ever....we have protected democracy and our freedoms before, the time is fast approaching to do it again...
ditto
May 19, 2019, 02:14 PM
There's lots of "government sponsored protection rackets".
Do we refuse to take part in any of them? Are we willing to take the consequences?
Most people aren't interested in challenging the rackets and are definitely unwilling to face any consequences or the systems wouldn't exist.
I remain unconvinced that RC pilots are all that different to the rest of the population

Good luck with the rebellion though
I suspect that you'll need it
May 20, 2019, 02:27 AM
Still flying a desk..
Quote:
You are absolutely right Bernie, this is like a Mafia protection racket. Pay or else..... The consultation only has to be done so they can say they did consult us...totally ignored all the suggestions and objections and went ahead with the original plan anyway. This is a 'tax' and they are trying to legitimise it with notions like 'you have to pay to go fishing too'... If it was in anyway for 'safety', like the song that they are singing to the dumb of the public, then mandatory insurance would be a primary clause. It is an extremely disturbing manifestation of what is no longer a democracy, our entire political system has gone horribly wrong.. voting or replying to consultations is just fulfilling a process to call it democracy, votes are ignored now. But those of us who are waiting for the call to go and burn the houses of parliament to the ground know that it is no longer a democracy, it is something entirely different now..and frankly terrifying..
Ditto (again).
May be we should contact Nigel Farage (or Guy Fawkes)
May 20, 2019, 02:29 AM
Still flying a desk..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didactylos4
There's lots of "government sponsored protection rackets".
Do we refuse to take part in any of them? Are we willing to take the consequences?
Most people aren't interested in challenging the rackets and are definitely unwilling to face any consequences or the systems wouldn't exist.
I remain unconvinced that RC pilots are all that different to the rest of the population

Good luck with the rebellion though
I suspect that you'll need it
Too true.

In the interests of experimenting with the sub 250 class, I have ordered a pair of these:-
https://www.banggood.com/2PCS-KINGKO...r_warehouse=CN
May 20, 2019, 02:33 AM
Still flying a desk..
ooh. i just found this:-

https://www.banggood.com/Volantex-RC...r_warehouse=CN

270g flying weight. Not far off then. (Loose the U/C ?)
May 20, 2019, 03:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilternFlyer
Too true.

In the interests of experimenting with the sub 250 class, I have ordered a pair of these:-
https://www.banggood.com/2PCS-KINGKO...r_warehouse=CN
Those look interesting.
I wonder how they will deal with the wind......
That seemingly ever-present weather effect is the bane of many sub-250s as even the traditional "golden hours" are becoming rarer (here in the wilds of the NE anyway).
It's one of the reasons why I have become a ground FPVer over the last months.
At least it gets me out doing some RC activity
May 20, 2019, 05:04 AM
CRASH,LAUGH,GLUE.
Yeah, 250g aint going to work in the UK. I fly a 300g 3d foamie in my garden at every single opportunity that the wind is low enough for it to be enjoyable... so I fly it around 5 times a year... I have a weather station erected in the garden with an anenometer, and the graph of averages shows the wind (0-8mph) only dropping at around midnight, and invariably starts again just after sunrise. And surprising as it sounds, 8mph with obstacles causing turbulence makes anything @ 250g horrible to fly.
May 20, 2019, 06:36 AM
Still flying a desk..
Quote:
Yeah, 250g aint going to work in the UK. I fly a 300g 3d foamie in my garden at every single opportunity that the wind is low enough for it to be enjoyable... so I fly it around 5 times a year... I have a weather station erected in the garden with an anenometer, and the graph of averages shows the wind (0-8mph) only dropping at around midnight, and invariably starts again just after sunrise. And surprising as it sounds, 8mph with obstacles causing turbulence makes anything @ 250g horrible to fly.
Easy fix:- make the wings smaller!

Fair point though. I've got a 3" racing quad that weighs 220G. I wondered why it kept crashing until I flew it LOS on a breezy day. The poor little thing drops like a stone on the downwind turn.
May 20, 2019, 08:25 AM
Premium Registered User
What ever the outcome it got this thread active again

Quick Reply