Dec 31, 2012, 06:26 AM
Still flying a desk..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos230023
I do like a swing wing model...next mod on your skywalker Wayne?

Mitch. Get yourself onto thingiverse and type the model of your printer in the search bar. You'll find loads of printable parts to improve your machines operation. Universal spool holders, fillament feed guides etc... Oh and amazon is currently the cheapest place to pick up ABS and PLA. If you want to print in nylon I can walk you through where to get it and how to dehydrate it before printing with it

CJ
Cheers CJ,
I'll get looking!
The Nylon option sounds like something worth exploring but being the sorcerer's apprentice, I'll let you try it first.

Can't wait to try this out
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2012, 06:34 AM
Still flying a desk..
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneylopsides
This might be a silly question... I'm looking to build my first proper quad, and want to have a camera onboard for fpv and HD recording, but I can't tell which subforum I'm supposed to use to ask for build advice.
Micro quads is all the rtf stuff like the Ladybird I have, scratchbuild seems to be, well scratch builds, I'm looking to buy bits from hobbyking etc, frame kit, not building it from scratch.

Where should I be asking?
Here probably! lots of us have experience with FPV quads now.
I'd suggest a 450 sized frame to start with and some inexpensive motors (cos you're going to crash a lot at first).
I've got a 450 sitting in my office doing nothing. Go back to here to have a look:-
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5#post23511973
Dec 31, 2012, 06:37 AM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
Been printing in nylon for a little while now. It's odd having very tough yet extremely flexible components print out :P. It is a bit of a faff dehydrating the stuff though as any moisture (and nylon is surprisingly absorbent) will ruin the print by boiling the water as it passes the hot end. This leaving bubble pockets and blisters. I use commercial strimmer chord .

CJ
Dec 31, 2012, 06:37 AM
Cable ties & ductape
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChilternFlyer
Here probably! lots of us have experience with FPV quads now.
And some of us are still learning!
Dec 31, 2012, 06:40 AM
Sidney. For your first motors get some cheap jobbies from giantshark. If you busy one and don't have a spare, they always have good stock and fast postage. Their ESC's arn't too bad either. Get some pricy hacker motors when you start swinging a £1000 DSLR underneath :P.

CJ
Dec 31, 2012, 06:43 AM
Still flying a desk..

I've found something interesting on HK. Has anyone seen these before?

What's the difference between this :-
http://team-blacksheep.com/products/...onmodelcfilter

and this:-
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...V_Systems.html

Answers:-
The expensive one is a bit smaller and neater but costs 5 times more.
The cheap one is rated at 1A but that should be more than enough for your VTX so who cares?
Bonus:- You an easily rewind or modify the cheap one if you don't like it!
Dec 31, 2012, 06:48 AM
Cable ties & ductape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos230023
Sidney. For your first motors get some cheap jobbies from giantshark. If you busy one and don't have a spare, they always have good stock and fast postage. Their ESC's arn't too bad either. Get some pricy hacker motors when you start swinging a £1000 DSLR underneath :P.

CJ
Only thing I would say is don't got for the crappy £3 hobbyking frames
Mainly because I had one that had such bad vibration issues the quad was terrible to fly!
Dec 31, 2012, 06:49 AM
Cable ties & ductape
Quote:
What's the difference between this :-
http://team-blacksheep.com/products/...onmodelcfilter

and this:-
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...V_Systems.html

Answers:-
The expensive one is a bit smaller and neater but costs 5 times more.
The cheap one is rated at 1A but that should be more than enough for your VTX so who cares?
Bonus:- You an easily rewind or modify the cheap one if you don't like it!
I think I paid about £2 for the parts and can now make about 6-7 LC filters lol
Dec 31, 2012, 06:51 AM
Still flying a desk..

Is nothing sacred?

Foxtech clone of the ImmersionRC Spironets (that are clones of IBCrazy's cloverleaf!)

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-58...sma-p-891.html

OOH and they are selling GOPro Hero3 Blacks for $319 (probably a clone as well ).
Dec 31, 2012, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRC
Only thing I would say is don't got for the crappy £3 hobbyking frames
Mainly because I had one that had such bad vibration issues the quad was terrible to fly!
My first frame was a few bits of lite ply and balsa arms bought (begrudgingly) from my LHS. The frame suffered alot of crashes and to this day is still absolutly fine. Just a bit small for the stuff I ended up doing (that and my printed one is cooler ).

CJ
Dec 31, 2012, 07:24 AM
Once crash at a time
Quote:
Foxtech clone of the ImmersionRC Spironets (that are clones of IBCrazy's cloverleaf!)

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-58...sma-p-891.html

OOH and they are selling GOPro Hero3 Blacks for $319 (probably a clone as well ).
£180 shipped for a GP3B

I don't need to spend, i don't need to spend, i don't need to spend.....

Edit: I see the catch, no housing, no remote no battery, literally just the bare camera.
Dec 31, 2012, 08:06 AM
DD FPV is where it's at
Quote:
You should give your wife a big hug and tell her how much you love her!
I did, 4 times actually
Dec 31, 2012, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the replies!

I was thinking something like the Turnigy micro quad frame, partly as I assume I can save money by not needing as much power.

I do like the idea of being able to sling my GH1 underneath, if I got a better, larger, framebot start with, would I be able to upgrade the power for that when I'm better at flying?

My idea has been Turnigy micro quad frame, 4x 10a esc, kk2 board and no idea what motors and props :-P

Edit: giantshark CF2805 2800kv brushless outrunner motors?

It, also a mate got (from comet clearance) an ion air pro camera, I might be using that for fpv, or at least trying.
Last edited by sidneylopsides; Dec 31, 2012 at 08:21 AM.
Dec 31, 2012, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneylopsides
Thanks for the replies!

I was thinking something like the Turnigy micro quad frame, partly as I assume I can save money by not needing as much power.

I do like the idea of being able to sling my GH1 underneath, if I got a better, larger, framebot start with, would I be able to upgrade the power for that when I'm better at flying?

My idea has been Turnigy micro quad frame, 4x 10a esc, kk2 board and no idea what motors and props :-P
The cost of the frame is insignificant compared to the electronics. All the money is in the motors/esc's and controller. If you make your own, you are looking at less than £5 in materials! Or even something like this is dirt cheap https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ame_450mm.htmlYou are likely to bash the first one around a fair bit, so probably best to just go for something you can afford now, then build something more suited to carrying a bigger camera when you are feeling more confident with flying multi rotors.

Malc
Last edited by highviz; Dec 31, 2012 at 08:45 AM.
Dec 31, 2012, 09:01 AM
Yeah, I figured that.
I meant I thought I could save money with a smaller frame as I wouldn't need to spend as much on the motors and electronics, needing less power would mean cheaper components. :-)

I think I've ready that frame is ok, but the motor mounts can snap off easily in a crash.

Edit: that frame isn't available in the UK warehouse.
Last edited by sidneylopsides; Dec 31, 2012 at 09:10 AM.

Quick Reply