Jun 25, 2010, 10:00 AM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
Thanks for sharing the photos you guys they are true treasures. As you look at the faces of all of those young men you can only imagine what is going through their minds, not knowing what will happen to them and their comrades from day to day. Say a prayer for all of our Soldiers who have fallen and for those who made it home both past and present.
Tom
to remove ads between posts
Jun 25, 2010, 10:10 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Amen.

Dave
Jun 26, 2010, 12:25 PM
Thread OP
Hi,

While your sympathetic and kind words in regards to what these TD men may have thought after WWII might be true, the vast majority of the tank destroyer crews who fought "on the line" against German panzers, were young volunteers trained to be tough and hard.

If the phrase "natural born killers" is not completely accurate or fair, it does come very close to describing the USA combat TD individuals during WWII.

They had to take the fight to a skilled, harsh, aggresive and ruthless foe.

While the US tank destroyer concept was flawed and far to dangerous to continue, post war, the value of tank destroyer force in WWII proved that it lessoned the overall fear of the Axis panzer force amongst the Allied Armies (as in panzer fever, everyones head went down and the shooting stopped).

And the tank destroyers did rack up a better than 2 to 1 kill ratio.

Perhaps check out this online read: "Seek, Strike, and Destroy: U.S. Army Tank Destroyer Doctrine in World War II", By Christopher Richard Gabel

http://books.google.com/books?id=IA1...page&q&f=false

Battle of the Bulge, page 42: "The 28th Infantry Division's attached tank destroyer battalion, the 630th, had elements deployed in the path of the initial German panzer assault. Protecting infantry companies, the 630th added its force to the desperate delaying actions in which the 28th Division sacrificed itself to buy time for the reinforcement of Bastogne. Three days of fighting reduced the 630th tank destroyer vehicles, M3 Half Track Gun Carriages and M-10s to near zero. All that was left was a battalion headquarters staff and one company of men that had lost all its vehicles."

In closing, my uncle never talked about what he experienced fighting in Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace and Central Europe.

In a way that made the research more interesting for me, the discovery factor of what took place in the ETO.

We all know, now, that it was horrendous and inhuman.

But I also know this relative went on to lead a successful and happy life. He never looked back on those bitter days, because he knew in his heart, they did the right thing.

Anyway, I am back to building my RC lawn dart...sailplane. I have had enough of tanks for awhile. LOL.

John
Last edited by C4ISTAR; Jul 17, 2013 at 11:24 PM.
Jul 13, 2010, 05:00 PM
Thread OP

Tamiya Pershing M26 90mm rc build

The sailplane build is on hold for a while...I forgot about finishing this WWII ETO – Korean War Era tank project. Weathering next and this project is more than a year old.

And a tip for all you HL RTR Pershing guys: There are tons of photos to be found on the web that show you what a WWII and or Korean War Pershing Tank looked like in combat. It would be a pretty rare sight to see one with foliage on it, as they did not have to much worry about from Axis air attacks in the closing months of WWII or in Korea (from North Korean Forces Aircraft).
Last edited by C4ISTAR; Jul 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM.
Aug 10, 2010, 01:24 PM
Thread OP

M36B1 Tank Destroyer transferred to Texas Armor

The M36B1 Tank Destroyer was transferred to Texas Armor last week.

To view their outstanding, 7200 square foot, rc tank battlefield visit:
www.texasarmor.com
Sep 09, 2010, 07:16 AM
Thread OP

New Tamiya Tank: 1/16 R/C M-51 Super Sherman Full-Option Kit

FYI: Announced at the Tokyo Hobby Show this week.

Visit: http://www.tamiya.com/english/hobbyshow/10THS_index.htm

1/16 R/C M-51 Super Sherman Full-Option Kit

Just gets better and better; the types of Sherman tanks to model.

Jan 15, 2011, 10:47 PM
some what irregular
Quote:
Originally Posted by C4ISTAR
FYI: Announced at the Tokyo Hobby Show this week.

Visit: http://www.tamiya.com/english/hobbyshow/10THS_index.htm

1/16 R/C M-51 Super Sherman Full-Option Kit

Just gets better and better; the types of Sherman tanks to model.

There have been complaints to Tamiya regarding the name and the fact that the gear on the tank is NOT accurate, but I figure a second set of the detail parts will solve that, it is not THAT far off. I NEED one
Jan 17, 2011, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by C4ISTAR
The sailplane build is on hold for a while...I forgot about finishing this WWII ETO Korean War Era tank project. Weathering next and this project is more than a year old.

And a tip for all you HL RTR Pershing guys: There are tons of photos to be found on the web that show you what a WWII and or Korean War Pershing Tank looked like in combat. It would be a pretty rare sight to see one with foliage on it, as they did not have to much worry about from Axis air attacks in the closing months of WWII or in Korea (from North Korean Forces Aircraft).

That last picture of the Phersing, is that the one that participated in the battle of the cathedral? Where it took out a Panther that just took out two Shermans?
Jan 19, 2011, 03:23 PM
I was thinking you where going for an M-50. It would be cool to do one up.
Aug 25, 2015, 10:19 AM
Hi John/C4ISTAR,
I'm fairly new to RC Tanks and I came across some images of Nicks M36B1 resin turret kit. Did you have a build thread with photos of your M36 build? I'm interested in getting one of Nicks M36 turret kits. Nick came out with the kit so long ago that I wonder if he's still producing them.

Do you or anyone else know if the kit is still available?
Aug 25, 2015, 10:28 AM
I'm sure he does... just ask. If you don't have his contact info let me know.

I have bought MANY of his items, I even have one of these tucked away.

Jeff
Aug 25, 2015, 05:10 PM
Thanks Jeff, I sent an E-mail using the link from page 1. I found the turret kit on an RC Plane site. If I tried to order one, I'm not sure if I would be waiting and just end up being refunded. I hope Nick answers me. If he does, hopefully I can still get one for a future build.
Aug 28, 2015, 11:42 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel 1
Hi John/C4ISTAR,
I'm fairly new to RC Tanks and I came across some images of Nicks M36B1 resin turret kit. Did you have a build thread with photos of your M36 build? I'm interested in getting one of Nicks M36 turret kits. Nick came out with the kit so long ago that I wonder if he's still producing them.

Do you or anyone else know if the kit is still available?
I believe Nick still sales his M36B1 kit and reach him here:

[email protected]

Last spring Tomas had 2 kits available and reach him here:

[email protected]

Recommend: If you do not already have a Tamiya Sherman kit or built Tamiya Sherman use the HL Sherman instead as your base and upgrade the electronics with a package that works for you. The HL Sherman looks and runs great and your TD suspension will be accurate for a M36B1 TD.

Enjoy your build,

John

PS Just saw your post.
Aug 28, 2015, 11:59 PM
Thanks John, nice looking tanks. I did contact Nick and he's already answered me. In the near future I'm planning to get a couple of his kits. His cast parts are amazing and very detailed as well.
Roger

Quick Reply