Jun 09, 2010, 01:50 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

US Army M36B1 90mm Sherman Based Tank Destroyer Ardennes

How to you make a Tamiya full option Sherman Easy 8 105mm Assault Tank Kit more interesting and still work good as a backyard TBU Runner?

My Sherman build has been sitting on the shelf for almost a year now, waiting for finish and weathering. While a great kit; a fun build and a well proven Tamiya Battle Unit Runner, it just doesn't have the same level of visual appeal, in my opinion, when compared to some of the other WWII Allied tanks and WWII German tanks. Anyway, I had kinda lost interest in finishing this Sherman.

That is until I saw this M36B1 Tank Destroyer limited production turret resin kit created and offered by Nick Aguilar in Texas.

email him if you decide you need this kit: [email protected]

What is a M36B1 tank destroyer?

"In October 1944, there was a lack of M10A1 hulls to carry the M36 tank destroyer's turret with its powerful tank-busting 90mm gun. The plentiful Sherman M4A3 late hull was substituted with only minor alterations needed mainly to accommodate the TD's larger ammo rounds. The resulting M36B1 had the advantage of thicker hull armor and a bow machine gun. Only 187 conversions were done, and there are reportedly only a handful of photos of these beasts in action, but they are an impressive sight. According to Steve Zaloga, they were deployed to tank destroyer battalions including the 605th, 654th, 705th and 813th during the Battle of the Bulge and were fought in the ETO until Germany surrendered." They achieved a very good combat record.

I most enjoy building backyard Tamiya WWII rc tanks with the Infrared Battle Systems and I did not want to always fight an Axis tank. Though, I didn't want to end up with two Sherman rc tanks, I just wanted to build a more interesting Sherman tank. LOL.

The Concept:

This build uses a top hull – turret swap out between the new M36 turret – new top hull and my existing Tamiya Sherman 105mm turret and top hull: like an rc car chassis with 2 different bodies.

The plug and play concept shares my already built and strong running Tamiya Sherman lower hull and its TBU receiver. My Sherman lower hull uses Impact T-66 tracks and Sprockets, Impact & Daryl Turner Rear Idler parts.

Bearings are installed in the HVSS suspension, it works good in most terrain situations. While the build is not suspension accurate (the real M36B1 used the earlier VVSS Suspension) the chassis will be a proven TBU fighter platform and still look pretty convincing during backyard fights and tank club battles.

A rear upper hull V8 engine grill vent and an emitter tube for the mantlet arrived from Bob at ETO Armor. And a new Tamiya Sherman upper hull arrived from Karen at the AAF Tank Museum. Below, you can see the installed engine cooling vent and the travel lock (relocated to the rear deck) per the M36B1 illustrations.

Enjoy and I think this different Sherman Tank Destroyer when completely finished, will make a very good hunter against my Jagdpanther and all the Tigers, Panthers and Pz4s and the other Axis tank foe already out there. And hopefully it will not take another year to weather and complete "Stormy Weather".

Enjoy, John
Last edited by C4ISTAR; Jul 17, 2013 at 11:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2010, 05:03 PM
Thread OP

US Army M36B1 90mm Sherman Based Tank Destroyer Ardennes

An agile runner and the 90mm gunned Sherman Tank Destroyer can now give as good as it gets.
Jun 10, 2010, 02:04 AM

M36B1 build

Kudos on a great build! Thanks for sharing.
Jun 10, 2010, 06:43 AM
Thread OP

Thank you

I believe I have followed your new club activities in OR and WA. Looking to move to Southern OR eventually.
Jun 10, 2010, 05:02 PM
Look us up when you get here. We'd be glad to have a enthusiast of your obvious skill and talent as a member.
Jun 11, 2010, 01:57 PM
That looks great. It is really cool to see a rare Sherman variant that's not a static model.

And along with all that nice detail, I have to commend your IR hat "disguise" it really helps that thing blend in with the rest of the tank...
Jun 11, 2010, 03:27 PM
Thread OP

Battle Unit Receiver

Hey thanks.

Mounted low, to help keep the TD profile looking good, the "battle unit receiver" is easy to score hits on and does registered hits from all angles.

And though you can't see the 4 little lights, the interior of the open turret reflects "hit flashing lights" like a fully decked out Christmas tree, the turret
insides just explode in red color,
even in strong daylight.

If the fussy club tankers really object to the "receiver" height, it can be easily raised on stanchions to a new height, but because of the interior light reflection thing, it shows lighted hits 1000% stronger than a normally placed lighted hit Battle Unit receiver (in a cupola, atop a closed turret).

Pretty cool effect, if you aren't driving it.

John
Last edited by C4ISTAR; Jun 11, 2010 at 03:34 PM.
Jun 16, 2010, 07:57 PM
1/16 Metal Tiger I
Thanks for sharing!
Nice work。
Jun 17, 2010, 12:37 AM
Thread OP
Hi, Thank you, but it isn't finished yet. Working on the paint & weathering now and I will post more photos when it is further along. How is your all metal Tiger progressing? John
Jun 17, 2010, 03:43 AM
1/16 Metal Tiger I
Hi, John. thanks for your concerns. Still have a lot of work to do. Design and producing is two different work. I think it will take more time. Jack
Jun 17, 2010, 01:44 PM
Thread OP

Work in Progress Paint and Weathering

After the paint cures I will put the DMD gear back in. Enjoy, John
Jun 23, 2010, 05:27 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Great job on the tank! Although the M36B1 had the vertical volute suspension, your effort is very well presented (and appreciated).
My father drove an M10 and later an M36, and the lead tank in his outfit was an M36B1. He was with the 899th Tank Destroyer Battalion, Jersey Company, 1st Platoon. He drove the #3 tank.

Dave

PS: sorry for the quality of the pics, they are quick scans.
Jun 24, 2010, 04:24 AM
1/16 Metal Tiger I
Thanks Dave for sharing these pictures!
Jun 25, 2010, 01:56 AM
Thread OP
Dave thank you. Those are outstanding photos and very rare indeed. Were they taken during the Battle of the Bulge or in Germany?

An aunt sent me a box of my uncles WWII stuff. The Silver Star, I gave to his youngest brother, but it was his unit insignias that got me into researching tank destroyers in general. What I discovered is my uncle fought with the 630th Tank Destroyer Battalion out of Fort Jackson, SC. They trained with M-10s in the US. Fighting M-18 Hellcat TDs in Belguim and Germany, the 630th Tank Destroyer Battalion reported knocking out 53 panzers, mostly Tigers, Panthers and 15 StuG III Assault Guns with a loss of 17 M-18’s. My uncle started as a gunner and quickly became a TD commander.

Again, thank you for sharing your dad's photos, they are a treasure for sure.

You all can read more online about the 899th TD Bn and most of the others. History records that the 899th TD Bn had a very impressive war record and were amongst the best of the best: http://www.tankdestroyersociety.com/..._battalion.htm

John
Jun 25, 2010, 09:54 AM
Big Boats Rule!
I'm not sure, as the photos are not marked. My dad passed in 1999, but was a member of the TD Society for many years. He name, Bielawski, Herbert M, is listed in the former members of C company.
I read the story about the Ramagen bridge crossing with great interest as he was there. From his family story...
They were sending everything across as fast as they could because they knew the Germans were trying to destroy the bridge. When his tank got the order to cross he drove the length of the bridge. As he got to the far side, the tanks were directed to turn onto a shoreline road. As he approached the end of the bridge he saw a film crew set up in the railroad tunnel. Now, the forward hatch on an M36 is not very large, and he was driving, so all he could do was squeeze his hands out at chest level and give a ten finger wave. He pulled his hands back in and made the turn and kept driving. Decades later, while watching a B&W movie being shown in the US Army booth at the Armed Forces Open House at Mitchell Int. Airport (Milwaukee, WI) he saw the footage and his finger wave. I have been searching for that clip ever since.
He also told us that while all the tanks were waiting to cross, air defense was a priority. Normally, the air cooled M2 (.50 cal) machine gun should only be fired in short bursts and allowed to cool a few seconds before the next burst. Not following this procedure would normally result in discipline from command, as it's hard on the barrel. During one of the air attacks on the bridge he said their tank fired a full box of ammo in one or two bursts. He says the gunner swears he saw flashes on the German plane. All my dad knew for sure was that the barrel was smoking, had a blue hue and was curved up more than an inch at the muzzle.
All of the stories he told us were like that. He never mentioned the horrible sights he must have seen. I guess that generation really is the greatest.

Dave

PS: Thanks, C4ISTAR, for the info on the 899th.

Quick Reply