New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Jul 05, 2010, 11:03 AM
t-turley is offline
Find More Posts by t-turley
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd View Post
Are you timing your flights with an actual clock? with the stock 150mah I get around 9-12 minutes with mild throttle, and with the 250mah and the camera stealing from it I get around 20+ minutes, I know this because thats how long my video clips are before the ESC cuts off.
Yep. I check my watch when I launch, and when I land.

Tony
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2010, 09:06 PM
t-turley is offline
Find More Posts by t-turley
Registered User
Just came back from a nice sortie with the Champ and my Stevens Aero Diddlerod just down the street. I timed the Champ at 16 minutes from launch to LVC. FWIW, the Diddlerod flew 12 minutes on a 2S ET 250 (with a couple minutes of reserve left), but the geared baby Feigao in it is probably pulling more current, too.

My humble contribution to Champ mods is a pair of tires I found in my wheels collection. I have no idea when or why I bought them, but I assume I got them from Hobby-Lobby, because they say "Graupner AIR-UL 30x12 mm". I had to sleeve them with short pieces of tubing from a Dubro micro aileron linkage to fit the LG wire. I like the way they look. See pics.

Tony
Old Jul 06, 2010, 11:25 AM
leethetreeguy is offline
Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Fly em if ya got em.
leethetreeguy's Avatar
Nice wheels. I sure do enjoy flying my Champ. What a plane. Lee
Old Jul 06, 2010, 01:35 PM
Doug Sipprell is offline
Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
Elfi Flyer
Doug Sipprell's Avatar

Motor exchange


This may have been covered before, and if so, sorry for the repeat. I experienced the stock motor in my Champ to go on a squealing rampage. Not that many flights on the plane, and no dorking in's. So, I have to write it off as a bad motor. I removed the motor, ran it up by itself, less prop, and it would internally go to a partial bind up, and squeal. So, it was definitely motor related, not gearbox.

Installed the UM P-51 Mustang motor in the stock gearbox. Natual fit, must be the same motor as used on the Champ, but a little stronger. Definitely an improvement is speed, but not horrendous. Definitely a gas guzzeler, however, as 10 minutes active flying really knocks down a 160 mA Lipo.

So, if you have a spare UM P-51 Mustang motor handy, consider using it for a replacement in the Champ, should you need to swap motors.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jul 06, 2010, 05:06 PM
Razors edge 29 is offline
Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
QuAd FaNaTiC
Razors edge 29's Avatar
I'll be doing this soon enough.

Are you using stock prop? Apparently this motor and GWS 5043 prop is a great speed/power combo.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
This may have been covered before, and if so, sorry for the repeat. I experienced the stock motor in my Champ to go on a squealing rampage. Not that many flights on the plane, and no dorking in's. So, I have to write it off as a bad motor. I removed the motor, ran it up by itself, less prop, and it would internally go to a partial bind up, and squeal. So, it was definitely motor related, not gearbox.

Installed the UM P-51 Mustang motor in the stock gearbox. Natual fit, must be the same motor as used on the Champ, but a little stronger. Definitely an improvement is speed, but not horrendous. Definitely a gas guzzeler, however, as 10 minutes active flying really knocks down a 160 mA Lipo.

So, if you have a spare UM P-51 Mustang motor handy, consider using it for a replacement in the Champ, should you need to swap motors.

RD
Old Jul 07, 2010, 02:31 PM
Doug Sipprell is offline
Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
Elfi Flyer
Doug Sipprell's Avatar
Yes, stock prop. I fly the Champ at 50-60% throttle most of the time, but if you really go easy on the loud stick, you can get around 12 minutes flying time on a 160 mAh Lipo, according to my experiences. YMMV.

I like the way the plane flys on the stock prop, not looking for 3D or strong verticals.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jul 07, 2010, 04:26 PM
livonia bob is offline
Find More Posts by livonia bob
Heli collector
livonia bob's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
Yes, stock prop. I fly the Champ at 50-60% throttle most of the time, but if you really go easy on the loud stick, you can get around 12 minutes flying time on a 160 mAh Lipo, according to my experiences. YMMV.

I like the way the plane flys on the stock prop, not looking for 3D or strong verticals.

RD
You must be flying to fast then,, I get over 20 minutes with the 160's @ about 40% power..
Old Jul 07, 2010, 04:35 PM
darksiede is offline
Find More Posts by darksiede
Foaming at the mouth..
darksiede's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
Yes, stock prop. I fly the Champ at 50-60% throttle most of the time, but if you really go easy on the loud stick, you can get around 12 minutes flying time on a 160 mAh Lipo, according to my experiences. YMMV.

I like the way the plane flys on the stock prop, not looking for 3D or strong verticals.

RD
anything above 50% on mine induces a steady climb, Even with the weight of a 250mah 1s pack under her, and 1.5 inch tundra tires mine will "cruise" at 42% throttle.

On the 150mah cells I get 20 minutes and never reach the LVC, and on the 250mah I go 30 without hitting LVC.

~Kev
Old Jul 07, 2010, 07:18 PM
Razors edge 29 is offline
Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
QuAd FaNaTiC
Razors edge 29's Avatar
I always fly mine fast usually cause its windy here 24/7
Old Jul 07, 2010, 11:56 PM
Doug Sipprell is offline
Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
Elfi Flyer
Doug Sipprell's Avatar
I'm usually chasing other planes, or pulling inside loops, tight barrel rolls. Also managed an outside loop the other evening. So, I apparently am not that fuel economy orientated. Right now, the Champ is getting all the attention within the micro fleet. Next up, when available, will be the FlyZone Albatros.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jul 08, 2010, 12:32 AM
darksiede is offline
Find More Posts by darksiede
Foaming at the mouth..
darksiede's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
I'm usually chasing other planes, or pulling inside loops, tight barrel rolls. Also managed an outside loop the other evening. So, I apparently am not that fuel economy orientated. Right now, the Champ is getting all the attention within the micro fleet. Next up, when available, will be the FlyZone Albatros.

RD
I had my first lively flights with mine tonight. I had a horde of starlings decide the Champ was fun to dogfight with. At several points the swarm was so thick I could not even see the plane, it had to be several thousand of them. A few times I dove out of the swarm and tried to get the to suicide bomb behind it towards the ground. Many chased but they all pulled up at the same height's I did. I still managed 20 minutes w/o hitting the LVC mixing between 45% and WOT the entire flight.

~Kev
Old Jul 08, 2010, 07:34 AM
Doug Sipprell is offline
Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
Elfi Flyer
Doug Sipprell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksiede View Post
I still managed 20 minutes w/o hitting the LVC mixing between 45% and WOT the entire flight. ~Kev
With the Mustang motor?


RD
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jul 08, 2010, 04:33 PM
darksiede is offline
Find More Posts by darksiede
Foaming at the mouth..
darksiede's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
With the Mustang motor?


RD
Sukhoi XP motor.. same difference though.

~Kev
Old Jul 08, 2010, 04:41 PM
MinneFlyer is offline
Find More Posts by MinneFlyer
Registered User
MinneFlyer's Avatar
I had a little laugh the other day after trying out my new set of Tundra tires... I was doing some touch-and-gos and about the 4th time around I set her down gently then applied throttle to watch her climb back up. This time she left the ground with attitued and decided to ditch her new shoes!! Those Tundra tires kept rolling forward as she climbed into the sky barefoot!

Just a friendly reminder to put a little CA on those wheel hubs if you do the Tundra upgrade.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 12:25 PM
desertdweller is offline
Find More Posts by desertdweller
LOOK MOM! TEN THUMBS!
desertdweller's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinneFlyer View Post
I had a little laugh the other day after trying out my new set of Tundra tires... I was doing some touch-and-gos and about the 4th time around I set her down gently then applied throttle to watch her climb back up. This time she left the ground with attitued and decided to ditch her new shoes!! Those Tundra tires kept rolling forward as she climbed into the sky barefoot!

Just a friendly reminder to put a little CA on those wheel hubs if you do the Tundra upgrade.


Woulda loved to see that!


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article HobbyZone Champ RTF Review dee-grose Micro Ready-to-Fly 898 Oct 31, 2016 06:54 PM
Discussion HobbyZone Champ On-board Video VasMan Aerial Photography 4 Jul 03, 2015 02:09 AM
Alert HobbyZone Champ RTF Group Buy in Middle TN: $87.80 per plane (including tax) PerlAddict Hot Online Deals 5 Jun 16, 2010 07:00 PM
Wanted Hobbyzone Champ pmass23 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jun 01, 2010 02:17 PM
Video Hobbyzone Champ - Short Glide Video VasMan Electric Plane Talk 0 May 16, 2010 11:01 PM