New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Jun 14, 2010, 01:55 PM
kenstogie is offline
Find More Posts by kenstogie
Embargo lifted.
kenstogie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
There is no Rudder channel on the Champs brick.

I looked for it, I couldn't find it. Unless there is some switch to turn it on that Horizon isn't telling us about, the Brick is 3 channel.

Keep your green dots, for now.
Right I got that but use that third channel for ailerons instead of rudder as the ailerons would allow tighter turning.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2010, 01:58 PM
UNGN is offline
Find More Posts by UNGN
Power Wheels Guru
UNGN's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
Right I got that but use that third channel for ailerons instead of rudder as the ailerons would allow tighter turning.
That's hard to do because of the brick location. Hooking the Pushrod and having it work properly would be tough.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 03:31 PM
MinneFlyer is offline
Find More Posts by MinneFlyer
Registered User
MinneFlyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by olthump View Post
Everybody knows that if ya wanna go faster, just paint it red!

And put duals on it, of course.
Olthump - what material did you make your struts out of? Very nice job!!
Old Jun 14, 2010, 03:46 PM
Carl T is offline
Find More Posts by Carl T
CARL T
Carl T's Avatar
I made my exhausts of .062 Black wire insulation with the wire pulled out. That way IF it should bump the nose they will flex rather than crush.
Pictures to come along with a detail addition list.
Carl
Old Jun 14, 2010, 03:47 PM
olthump is offline
Find More Posts by olthump
Occupying RCG
olthump's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinneFlyer View Post
Olthump - what material did you make your struts out of? Very nice job!!
Thanks. 1/16 balsa. Either ca soaked or fine cf rods for reinforcement. Attach with foam safe ca.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 03:49 PM
MinneFlyer is offline
Find More Posts by MinneFlyer
Registered User
MinneFlyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by olthump View Post
Thanks. 1/16 balsa. Either ca soaked or fine cf rods for reinforcement. Attach with foam safe ca.
So no problems with the extra/added weight? I was thinking of using balsa, but thought it might add too much.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 05:12 PM
Ensign Jimmy is offline
Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
The building never ends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinneFlyer View Post
So no problems with the extra/added weight? I was thinking of using balsa, but thought it might add too much.
The Champ doesn't seem to really notice anything less than two or three grams of weight gain. I added struts to mine made from four pieces of 0.05" CF rod and the Champ didn't even notice. And my wings are far stiffer now, to boot.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 05:53 PM
Razors edge 29 is offline
Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
QuAd FaNaTiC
Razors edge 29's Avatar
what positive or ill effects do the stiffer wings cause, if any?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Jimmy View Post
The Champ doesn't seem to really notice anything less than two or three grams of weight gain. I added struts to mine made from four pieces of 0.05" CF rod and the Champ didn't even notice. And my wings are far stiffer now, to boot.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 07:46 PM
restlessswind is offline
Find More Posts by restlessswind
Registered User
restlessswind's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
There is no Rudder channel on the Champs brick.

I looked for it, I couldn't find it. Unless there is some switch to turn it on that Horizon isn't telling us about, the Brick is 3 channel.

Keep your green dots, for now.
the rudder channel is the same as an aleron channel,( rt stick rudder). It is a 3 channel brick, yes. Throttle, Elevator and rudder. Someone mentioned using the rudder channel for ailerons instead, and then fixing the rudder straight.

I don't think this plane will fly well with that type of setup as it probably needs the rudder to make the turns more so than ailerons would.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 08:47 PM
Razors edge 29 is offline
Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
QuAd FaNaTiC
Razors edge 29's Avatar
The Hyperion 160's are great batts was flying mixed throttle closer to top end for 90% of 10 minute flight and hadn't hit LVC.

Climbs a lot better with these batts - come on GWS prop hurry up lol
Old Jun 14, 2010, 09:13 PM
drewwrx is offline
Find More Posts by drewwrx
Ain't Nothing but a Peanut
drewwrx's Avatar
Razor, Thanks for the reviews on the Hyperions. My Hyp 160s just came in today as well. Looking forward to flying with them. My only other batteries for this plane are one of the stock 150 and a turnigy 160. I have heard that the Hyperions are really good!
Old Jun 14, 2010, 09:19 PM
UNGN is offline
Find More Posts by UNGN
Power Wheels Guru
UNGN's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessswind View Post
the rudder channel is the same as an aleron channel,( rt stick rudder). It is a 3 channel brick, yes. Throttle, Elevator and rudder. Someone mentioned using the rudder channel for ailerons instead, and then fixing the rudder straight.

I don't think this plane will fly well with that type of setup as it probably needs the rudder to make the turns more so than ailerons would.
The Ailerons are in the top of the fuse, the Brick and elevator are in the bottom. Hooking up the Pushrods alone would be more trouble than this is worth.

Modding a RET 3 channel plane to still have 3 channels but AET would be silly, since it's easier to to make it 4 channels with an AR6400 and a remote aileron servo.

Even if it flew better with Ailerons instead of rudder, using the installed brick isn't the best way to do it.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 09:25 PM
Razors edge 29 is offline
Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
QuAd FaNaTiC
Razors edge 29's Avatar
No worries


So far I am impressed - doesnt make any faster, but thats expected, but power is definitely there. The GWS prop and this batt, or the 240's which I have yet to wire up will be a great combo as others have reported



Quote:
Originally Posted by drewwrx View Post
Razor, Thanks for the reviews on the Hyperions. My Hyp 160s just came in today as well. Looking forward to flying with them. My only other batteries for this plane are one of the stock 150 and a turnigy 160. I have heard that the Hyperions are really good!
Old Jun 15, 2010, 08:44 AM
kenstogie is offline
Find More Posts by kenstogie
Embargo lifted.
kenstogie's Avatar
Well the swapping of channels (Rudder for Aileron) was an idea but evidentally not a good one.
I have a 5043 w/prop adapter on the way and I'll let you know how much difference it makes.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 09:41 AM
MinneFlyer is offline
Find More Posts by MinneFlyer
Registered User
MinneFlyer's Avatar
I haven't even flown my Champ yet - just took it out of the box last night and went straight to bashing. I made some struts out of coffee stir-straws. Let me tell you, it was a challenge trying to find an adhesive that would stick to plastic straws!! I tried superglue, CA, hot glue, and UHU. Eventually a combination between hot glue and UHU worked, but it was a pain.


Next bash will be wheels, decals, and maybe paint. I suppose I should also try flying the Champ at some point!


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article HobbyZone Champ RTF Review dee-grose Micro Ready-to-Fly 898 Oct 31, 2016 06:54 PM
Discussion HobbyZone Champ On-board Video VasMan Aerial Photography 4 Jul 03, 2015 02:09 AM
Alert HobbyZone Champ RTF Group Buy in Middle TN: $87.80 per plane (including tax) PerlAddict Hot Online Deals 5 Jun 16, 2010 07:00 PM
Wanted Hobbyzone Champ pmass23 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jun 01, 2010 02:17 PM
Video Hobbyzone Champ - Short Glide Video VasMan Electric Plane Talk 0 May 16, 2010 11:01 PM