Thread Tools
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:08 AM
totaldoughnut is offline
Find More Posts by totaldoughnut
Registered User
Thanks alot Lancer. I was actually checking out those micro boards on hobby king earlier. Seems like a pretty sweet setup and very affordable. Heck if I go that route then I can use my old champ board in my balsa rubber power conversion. Would it be possible to run 2s with those boards? Im still a noob to all this brushless stuff.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:38 AM
Lancer31 is offline
Find More Posts by Lancer31
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by totaldoughnut View Post
Thanks alot Lancer. I was actually checking out those micro boards on hobby king earlier. Seems like a pretty sweet setup and very affordable. Heck if I go that route then I can use my old champ board in my balsa rubber power conversion. Would it be possible to run 2s with those boards? Im still a noob to all this brushless stuff.
If you put a small UBEC in place to run the board, (7.4V in, 5V out to the micro board), with a resistor in series, to bring it down to 4.2V, that would work.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:45 PM
UNGN is offline
Find More Posts by UNGN
Power Wheels Guru
UNGN's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer31 View Post
If you put a small UBEC in place to run the board, (7.4V in, 5V out to the micro board), with a resistor in series, to bring it down to 4.2V, that would work.
The Champ brick can't control an external ESC without a PWM translator.

A diode would worked better than a resistor to step the voltage down from 5 to 4.2.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:21 PM
Lancer31 is offline
Find More Posts by Lancer31
Registered User

What he said.


Silicon diode in series will drop about .7 Volts. Just right.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:23 PM
Toklan is offline
Find More Posts by Toklan
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer31 View Post
Here's a float plan. Good Luck!
Thanks! These plans look far easier than some of the others I've seen, look a lot lighter too. I'll be sure to post updates as I make them, I do have one question though, how should I bend the music wire for the landing struts? Would pliers be enough?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:55 PM
Lancer31 is offline
Find More Posts by Lancer31
Registered User

Yes on pliers-bent.


I just pulled the front strut out of the plane, and traced it on paper, then duplicated it, (twice, so I could keep the original wheeled gear), with .032" music wire, using the pliers to bend it. I cut a slit in the bottom of the fuselage, put in the aft strut, and then glued in a piece of 1/32" plywood to hold it in.
The Champ flies fine with the floats mounted, but without the subfin you see on mine, but those are often added to Champs on floats, and it does no harm.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:35 PM
Toklan is offline
Find More Posts by Toklan
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer31 View Post
I just pulled the front strut out of the plane, and traced it on paper, then duplicated it, (twice, so I could keep the original wheeled gear), with .032" music wire, using the pliers to bend it. I cut a slit in the bottom of the fuselage, put in the aft strut, and then glued in a piece of 1/32" plywood to hold it in.
The Champ flies fine with the floats mounted, but without the subfin you see on mine, but those are often added to Champs on floats, and it does no harm.
Awesome, Thanks again! and that rudder idea sounds cool too, hope to see pics of that when you're done
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:21 PM
Doug Sipprell is offline
Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
Elfi Flyer
Doug Sipprell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer31 View Post
Here is a nice little setup. Though I haven't tried it in the Champ, it should do the job.
You wouldn't need the extra servo shown here.
There is also a more square version, the Mx-0104ARX-HBL, which may fit in the Champ better.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._one_5ch_.html
What transmitter are you using with this receiver?

Tnx

RD
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:12 PM
Lancer31 is offline
Find More Posts by Lancer31
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
What transmitter are you using with this receiver?

Tnx

RD
Hi, Doug! I bought a nice Futaba T9CAP transmitter, from Opus44, here on RCG,
and installed this module;

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...a_Module_.html

Just popped out the 72mHz module, put in the new one, and I'm ready for summer!
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:49 PM
litehawkdown is offline
Find More Posts by litehawkdown
Registered User
I think I might have to try some floats out. I have some roof baffles kicking around from a reno I did. these things

Light weight and strong I think they will work well.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 03:59 PM
Doug Sipprell is offline
Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
Elfi Flyer
Doug Sipprell's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer31
Hi, Doug! I bought a nice Futaba T9CAP transmitter, from Opus44, here on RCG, and installed this module;

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...a_Module_.html

Just popped out the 72mHz module, put in the new one, and I'm ready for summer!
Nice. I wonder if HK has the same module for a HiTec Optic 6 transmitter? I'll have to check on that. I bought the Optic 6 a few years back, planning on using it for several of my 72 Mhz planes, but never really did so. I won two Futaba 2.4 Ghz transmitters, the 6EX and a 7 channel unit. Thereafter, discovered the Spektrum DX6i, and as they say, the rest is history. Most of my micro's flying on the Spektrum system.

Wishing you a great summer of flying.......had my Ember 2 #1 out last night in unseasonably warm weather. May put Champ #2 up this evening. Great little plane.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:07 AM
air4prs is offline
Find More Posts by air4prs
Rookie Hopeful
air4prs's Avatar

Champ Motor Install


I just put an order for a champ motor replacement from RCbabbel.

Looking at my old motor setup, what do you do to remove the old motor setup and replace the new motor ? The old setup was potted in with some kind of white material and what do you use when installing the new motor.

Need help and advise.

Regards

Paul
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:18 AM
fishycomics is offline
Find More Posts by fishycomics
Suspended Account
Paul speaking in general and it gets the job done. Want to be technical then you get the right stuff

A nice picking away at the semi one Chaulk on top. Then getting under the Nikon plastic mount will pry up and some foam may come off with it. Replace with general home depot chaulking selicon
Hobbiest will tell you it has agents chems that will harm. I said at the start you want the general way to go about it you got it
Old Mar 19, 2012, 09:50 AM
vmmattil is offline
Find More Posts by vmmattil
Registered User
vmmattil's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by air4prs View Post
I just put an order for a champ motor replacement from RCbabbel.

Looking at my old motor setup, what do you do to remove the old motor setup and replace the new motor ? The old setup was potted in with some kind of white material and what do you use when installing the new motor.

Need help and advise.

Regards

Paul
I did it using this instruction, worked like a charm http://ginnylee.hubpages.com/hub/Hob...-Motor-Upgrade
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:37 AM
The Hog Pen is offline
Find More Posts by The Hog Pen
Go Ugly Early
The Hog Pen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen View Post
I still want to make an EDF Champ...
I now have a 64mm edf, esc, and hollow Champ. I may be the first to own a 10oz, 60mph Champ.

We shall see.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article HobbyZone Champ RTF Review dee-grose Micro Ready-to-Fly 898 Oct 31, 2016 06:54 PM
Discussion HobbyZone Champ On-board Video VasMan Aerial Photography 4 Jul 03, 2015 02:09 AM
Alert HobbyZone Champ RTF Group Buy in Middle TN: $87.80 per plane (including tax) PerlAddict Hot Online Deals 5 Jun 16, 2010 07:00 PM
Wanted Hobbyzone Champ pmass23 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jun 01, 2010 02:17 PM
Video Hobbyzone Champ - Short Glide Video VasMan Electric Plane Talk 0 May 16, 2010 11:01 PM