Hobbyzone Champ Mods - Page 251 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Mar 03, 2012, 08:15 PM
Occupying RCG
olthump's Avatar
RD,

There's an old joke in which the punch line is an old geezer complaining...

But I dont get up 'til 8!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 04, 2012, 01:22 PM
Converting O2 to CO2
Left Coast DJ's Avatar
Flew the Champ with the P51 motor today. Now I can do loops without diving first. And cruise at almost less than half throttle.
Mar 05, 2012, 03:14 PM
Registered User
with two motors like mine you can cruise at almost nothing. Its sweet. Got some serious performance but can also lay back and cruise around the sky.
Mar 05, 2012, 04:01 PM
noob
Veccster's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ
Flew the Champ with the P51 motor today. Now I can do loops without diving first. And cruise at almost less than half throttle.
Did you change the prop?

I added the p51 motor and 5043 prop and flew a couple 160 lipo's. I assume it was the battery but it seemed a bit sluggish. I re-installed the stock prop and it was made a huge difference! Went straight up!

I'm ordering some larger batteries and will try the 5043 again but I'm not too worried about it.....the p51 w/stock prop is fun enough!
Mar 05, 2012, 08:15 PM
Elfi Flyer
Doug Sipprell's Avatar
I hope to try the GWS prop mode one of these days. To date, however, I find the combination of the Mustang motor and the stock Champ prop to be more than sufficient for good agressive (think WOT, windy days!! ) Champ flying. I also use the Hyperion 240 cell. I'll have to try one of the G-force 160's just for comparison purposes. I think I know ahead of time what the results will be.

RD
Mar 07, 2012, 04:53 PM
Registered User
mds47588's Avatar
Here's a picture of my Champ with some fresh touch-up paint. What ya can't see is the new yet-to-fly Mustang motor inside. Still waiting on the glue to dry at the motor cage pegs...and the winds to die down.



As mentioned a few pages ago, the stock battery will choke with anything above 3/4 throttle. What would a good reccomendation battery rating be with using the Mustang motor and stock prop??
Last edited by mds47588; Mar 07, 2012 at 07:40 PM.
Mar 08, 2012, 01:48 AM
Converting O2 to CO2
Left Coast DJ's Avatar
I installed P51 motor with the stock prop. After flying it on Sunday, I think I need to shim the motor a wee bit for just a little down thrust.

Also, after I moved the electronics into the new fuse, whenever I hit the elevator, the rudder als moves. I don't see any physical links. Not sure if I fried the brick somehow when I transfered it.
Mar 10, 2012, 10:42 PM
Converting O2 to CO2
Left Coast DJ's Avatar
So it looks like rudder and elevator pull rods were moving in sync because the brick had come partially unseated. I used super glue initially. This morning I hot glued it. And this afternoon the Champ flew brilliantly. I sure love the Champ.

My goal is to be able to fly it from my back yard, with a bottle of Fuller's London Porter next to me.
Mar 10, 2012, 10:53 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
ridgewalker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ
So it looks like rudder and elevator pull rods were moving in sync because the brick had come partially unseated. I used super glue initially. This morning I hot glued it. And this afternoon the Champ flew brilliantly. I sure love the Champ.

My goal is to be able to fly it from my back yard, with a bottle of Fuller's London Porter next to me.
You should be able to do that,and if it's calm...you can trim the Champ to just keep circling while you use two hands on the bottle of Porter..lol

Ridgewalker
Mar 11, 2012, 03:23 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
leethetreeguy's Avatar
Hahaha, I have done that a couple of times. Sat my tx down and just watched it for a while. Nice.
Lee
Mar 12, 2012, 11:48 PM
Registered User
Looking to convert my champ to brushless. Already installed a 4site motor and gws prop. The motor lasted about a week and is already burning out. Hvae to turn the prop with my finger to get is to start spinning. Went through all the motor swaps in my msr also, sick of it. Ive been trying to search for a brushless converter so I can just use the same brick. Something like the steve converter I see people using in the mcpx. Have not had much luck finding one. Anyone have a link to a converter I can use to do this?
Mar 13, 2012, 04:55 AM
Registered User

New pilot, planning to mod from the getgo.


Looking to get back into the hobby, when I was little I used to fly cheap 2 channel planes. Figured a Champ is a great starter plane from all I've read and heard about it (better too being 3 channel), also want to get/make a float set soon as possible and plan to get a light set too. Thant being said I'd appreciate any suggestions. Can't wait to join in the fun!
Mar 13, 2012, 05:21 AM
Master Of My Universe
scotsoft's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toklan
Looking to get back into the hobby, when I was little I used to fly cheap 2 channel planes. Figured a Champ is a great starter plane from all I've read and heard about it (better too being 3 channel), also want to get/make a float set soon as possible and plan to get a light set too. Thant being said I'd appreciate any suggestions. Can't wait to join in the fun!
Welcome to the forum and I think you will have a great time with the Champ

I still have a few 2ch planes I fy indoors they help keep the thumbs in practice when I can't get outside

Keep us posted on your progress and remember if you have a question please ask it, there is no such thing as a stupid question and we all started out as new pilots at one time

cheers John.
Mar 13, 2012, 09:11 AM
Registered User

Floats, (scissor-cut).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Toklan
Looking to get back into the hobby, when I was little I used to fly cheap 2 channel planes. Figured a Champ is a great starter plane from all I've read and heard about it (better too being 3 channel), also want to get/make a float set soon as possible and plan to get a light set too. Thant being said I'd appreciate any suggestions. Can't wait to join in the fun!
Here's a float plan. Good Luck!
Mar 13, 2012, 09:33 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by totaldoughnut
Looking to convert my champ to brushless. Already installed a 4site motor and gws prop. The motor lasted about a week and is already burning out. Hvae to turn the prop with my finger to get is to start spinning. Went through all the motor swaps in my msr also, sick of it. Ive been trying to search for a brushless converter so I can just use the same brick. Something like the steve converter I see people using in the mcpx. Have not had much luck finding one. Anyone have a link to a converter I can use to do this?
Here is a nice little setup. Though I haven't tried it in the Champ, it should do the job.
You wouldn't need the extra servo shown here.
There is also a more square version, the Mx-0104ARX-HBL, which may fit in the Champ better.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._one_5ch_.html


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article HobbyZone Champ RTF Review dee-grose Micro Ready-to-Fly 918 Oct 09, 2017 08:36 AM
Discussion HobbyZone Champ On-board Video VasMan Aerial Photography 4 Jul 03, 2015 02:09 AM
Alert HobbyZone Champ RTF Group Buy in Middle TN: $87.80 per plane (including tax) PerlAddict Hot Online Deals 5 Jun 16, 2010 07:00 PM
Wanted Hobbyzone Champ pmass23 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Jun 01, 2010 02:17 PM
Video Hobbyzone Champ - Short Glide Video VasMan Electric Plane Talk 0 May 16, 2010 11:01 PM