Aug 10, 2011, 07:02 PM
I make metal smaller.
Whoa! I forgot how long the nose of the champ is supposed to be! Mine might be.... 1/4 of that??
to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2011, 09:53 PM

Champ First Aid Kit

This is hardly a "MOD" in the truest sense, but it's saved me some grief more than a couple times. Scotch tape! Probably the most frequently used thing in my Champ box.

It's good for smoothing roughly ground wing and control surface edges. And I've even done emergency repairs with clear plastic packaging shell for a splint, some glue, and tape to hold it all in place. Tape gets me back in the air when I'd have to go home for repairs without it. Very satisfying for a $90 plane.

My son's Champ and my own have both ejected more than a couple batteries. Understandable for me because I still crash-land at least once every time I fly. He doesn't - never has. But just landing and taxiing on rough surfaces, we've both had batteries simply fall out of the plane, even with fresh velcro. I broke the male connector off one of my batteries in a hard landing that I should've been able to fly away from. So now my plane doesn't roll or fly without a 1" strip of tape across the battery bay (folded under at one end for easy peeling off in pit stops).

I'd be interested in reading here what other things you all keep in your your boxes when you go flying. Here's my list, so far...

Scotch tape
Double-sided scotch tape
Scotch
Scissors
Clear plastic packaging shell or a stiff playing card
Toothpicks
Foam safe glue
Charged batteries and mini charger
Needle nose pliers for bent landing gear or fine tuning control rods
Aug 10, 2011, 10:02 PM
I hate winter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon97239

Scotch tape
Double-sided scotch tape
Scotch
Scissors
I have pointed out why you crash more than your son. Please see bolded item above :P
Aug 10, 2011, 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryclock
I have pointed out why you crash more than your son. Please see bolded item above :P
I got it for him!
Aug 11, 2011, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by teflon97239
I'd be interested in reading here what other things you all keep in your your boxes when you go flying. Here's my list, so far...
My field box has some similar items to yours, except have some extra stuff added....

Scotch tape
Scissors
Toothpicks
Foam safe glue
Charged batteries and mini charger
Needle nose pliers for bent landing gear or fine tuning control rods
Extra AA battery set for the charger
Screw drivers
socket set
tin snips
Oil
Gasoline
Weedwacker
Lawn mower
Couple of cedar boards from house siding
Table saw
Reciprocating saw
Circular saw
Jackstands
Torque wrench
Wheelbarrel
Bycicles.....

Oh, my field box is just my garage, so you may see some oddball items than one would typically have.
Aug 12, 2011, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave
I think he was directing that towards 'RAPER'

Dave

it's my actuall given last name.
Aug 12, 2011, 07:24 PM
Anyone have an idea about how long the stock champ motor lasts? And how much it costs to replace it/ how easy is it to replace it?
Aug 12, 2011, 07:29 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivcal
Anyone have an idea about how long the stock champ motor lasts? And how much it costs to replace it/ how easy is it to replace it?
No idea on longevity other than it lasts a LONG time if you get a good one. Costs $10 (if that...the higher performance UM P-51 motor is $12 or so) and it's simple to replace if you know how to use glue.
Aug 12, 2011, 07:30 PM
Do the turnigy nano-tech 160's fit in the battery compartment without mods? How are they compared to the hyperions?
Aug 12, 2011, 07:35 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Do the turnigy nano-tech 160's fit in the battery compartment without mods? How are they compared to the hyperions?
Hyperion 160s fit and work very well...just shift them back a bit so your Champ isn't nose heavy. Don't know about the Turnigys.
Aug 12, 2011, 09:16 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Quote:
Hyperions are better, but the Nano-Techs are less expensive and work fine. I bought a handful from HK in early May and they are still working fine in my Champ and Corsair.
The Hyp will run longer and stronger, but I just run the Nano's for 6-7 minutes and then change 'em out.

I think I paid $2.45 each and very little shipping too.

THEY BOTH FIT WELL UNDER THE CHAMP.

Check out HobbyPartz.com and their Sky Lipos. I think their 160s are only $1.90 each!
Aug 12, 2011, 10:18 PM
You can't take the sky from me
I'm getting my champ Sunday, when I get home!! Can't wait! Also, I'm getting tundra tyres, a 5043 prop, prop saver, mustang motor, and 2 350 mah batts. Hehehe
Aug 12, 2011, 10:18 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-X-3-7V-150mAh-...item3369df5403

Looks too good to be true.....anyone else?
(3)-150mah 3.7v 10c LiPo for $3.38 shipped!
Aug 12, 2011, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperbricks
I'm getting my champ Sunday, when I get home!! Can't wait! Also, I'm getting tundra tyres, a 5043 prop, prop saver, mustang motor, and 2 350 mah batts. Hehehe
First plane?
Aug 13, 2011, 11:56 AM
You can't take the sky from me
Quote:
First plane?
No, I've had a vapor, and I've been flying airhogs for years. My first real outdoor plane, though. Arhogs thrust vector planes don't really count. I think I'll be okay though, I read this whole thread, and I've got a huge field to fly in.

Quick Reply