Feb 19, 2011, 06:23 AM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdlcar
Do you think this charger will work "E-Flite Celectra 4-Port 1s Charger with AC Adapter" I think it will.
Exact charger I have, works great! And plugs into the wall, which is a huge PLUS!!!

petestorm, HOLY CRAP 8!! What are wanting a permanent tan on the roof of your mouth??? hehe, you will be flying all day without a single charge lol
to remove ads between posts
Feb 19, 2011, 06:45 AM
I love HAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by retropilot69
Thanks for all the compliments guys. Maiden flight started with a porpoise followed by a pretty hard landing as the airplane was severely aft CG but I wanted to see how it would fly before modifying/adding nose weight.

Carefully opened the battery compartment farther forward and unfortunately even with that had to add dead weight to the nose (a penny). Once that was sorted out the plane flew beautifully. The Champ has very nice indoor manners and I was comfortably doing slow circuits at less than half throttle.

Big thanks to Hydro Pyro for helping me sort out the CG issues at the gym.

Chuck
Great work Chuck! She's a real looker, and a good performer as well; what more can you want?
Feb 19, 2011, 09:26 AM
aka RTF
Is this common our just me.My Champ motor doesnt pulse when battery is low,just cuts out.When this happens i see the red rx light blink like it lost bind, but only motor cuts out not control surfaces.This happens only on full throttle but when i lower throttle it resets to solid red light on rx.I swapped in a rx from a um P51D and it was pulsing like crazy but didnt cut out like the champ brick did.Making me nuts.Any suggestions.Bad champ brick maybe.I was using same Hyperion 160 for both tests.Even tried binding to DX6i to see if binding was issue,wasnt that .
Feb 19, 2011, 09:36 AM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
The champ doesn't pulse, I don't think any of them are designed to pulse, that's just an accidental characteristic.

My champ just flies, sounds fine (but you can tell the power is less), then cuts off.

Dave
Feb 19, 2011, 10:00 AM
HBZ Champ Bush Edition + DX6i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuFlya
Is this common our just me.My Champ motor doesnt pulse when battery is low,just cuts out.When this happens i see the red rx light blink like it lost bind, but only motor cuts out not control surfaces.This happens only on full throttle but when i lower throttle it resets to solid red light on rx.I swapped in a rx from a um P51D and it was pulsing like crazy but didnt cut out like the champ brick did.Making me nuts.Any suggestions.Bad champ brick maybe.I was using same Hyperion 160 for both tests.Even tried binding to DX6i to see if binding was issue,wasnt that .
Mine does the same - near cutoff on full throttle the motor shuts down. I think this is how it should be - I usually try not to fly that far, to not to damage the lipo.

@LaneVT, @Schermvlieger; Thanks! It's lots of fun shooting the videos, gives a whole different angle to flying.
Feb 19, 2011, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_poppa4904

petestorm, HOLY CRAP 8!! What are wanting a permanent tan on the roof of your mouth??? hehe, you will be flying all day without a single charge lol
Lol, ya I do tend to overdo things. When I'm in I'm all the way in, ha! Figure that way I can fly the Champ, T-28, and future Mosquito, Corsair, and Mustang all in one outing if I feel like it.
Feb 19, 2011, 10:15 AM
Go Ugly Early
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuFlya
Hey...I had the same thing happening here.

The Champ brick is "simple" enough, and the stock 150mah/10C battery is small enough that it doesn't really pulse...it just cuts the throttle when the battery gets low. You still have functional control surfaces to land the plane. You can throttle back up for a few seconds per burst, but after a few of those, you are done flying on that battery until you charge it.

As for the pulsing AR6400 brick, it's more than likely because you're trying to use a stock 150mah/10C battery...which only provides 1.5 amps, and it's designed (if I recall correctly) to run on 2 amps. I had this exact same issue trying to test my 6400 brick in a scratch-build...and swapped it for my Tenergy 160mah/15C (for testing) because it delivers up to 2.4 amps...no pulsing. Once I installed the actual flight battery, a 500mah/10C (delivering up to 5 amps) the 6400 never pulsed until the battery was getting low.

In short...to run the UM P-51 brick, you'll need a bigger battery, as far s C-rating is concerned. Hyperion has 160mah/25C batts that UM fliers love...dunno if that's what you were using. Personally, I like a bigger battery for flight time.
Last edited by The Hog Pen; Feb 19, 2011 at 10:25 AM.
Feb 19, 2011, 11:43 AM
From a Different Planet!
Here is my new Champ, flew it at E-Fest quite a bit. Got alot of compliments on how scale it looked.
Last edited by edge_pilot; Dec 25, 2013 at 06:43 PM.
Feb 19, 2011, 11:52 AM
LOOK MOM! TEN THUMBS!
OMG Wow! All the beauty Queens are coming out now.

Those are awesome!

Hey edge, how does she fly? did you completely strip the paint off the fuse before you painted her? Whats she weigh with all her new clothes?
Feb 19, 2011, 11:54 AM
♫ Learning to fly ♫
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge_pilot
Here is my new Champ, flew it at E-Fest quite a bit. Got alot of compliments on how scale it looked.
Wow...that's incredible work.
Feb 19, 2011, 12:17 PM
road wart
Quote:
did you strip the yellow or sand it off? looks really good in that paint scheme!
Feb 19, 2011, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Holy smokes that thing is gorgeous! Nice touch with the exhaust.
Feb 19, 2011, 01:24 PM
I love HAM
Quote:
Gorgeous! How did you make the struts? Would you mind posting some pictures of the build and more details of how you made her look so good?

Sandor
Feb 19, 2011, 02:10 PM
aka RTF
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen
Hey...I had the same thing happening here.

The Champ brick is "simple" enough, and the stock 150mah/10C battery is small enough that it doesn't really pulse...it just cuts the throttle when the battery gets low. You still have functional control surfaces to land the plane. You can throttle back up for a few seconds per burst, but after a few of those, you are done flying on that battery until you charge it.

As for the pulsing AR6400 brick, it's more than likely because you're trying to use a stock 150mah/10C battery...which only provides 1.5 amps, and it's designed (if I recall correctly) to run on 2 amps. I had this exact same issue trying to test my 6400 brick in a scratch-build...and swapped it for my Tenergy 160mah/15C (for testing) because it delivers up to 2.4 amps...no pulsing. Once I installed the actual flight battery, a 500mah/10C (delivering up to 5 amps) the 6400 never pulsed until the battery was getting low.

In short...to run the UM P-51 brick, you'll need a bigger battery, as far s C-rating is concerned. Hyperion has 160mah/25C batts that UM fliers love...dunno if that's what you were using. Personally, I like a bigger battery for flight time.
Thanks all for your reply's.Appreciate the info.I think its just a combination of the cold/wind and maybe my imagination that thinks something feels different when i flew her today.
Feb 19, 2011, 02:14 PM
aka RTF
Edge Pilot,all i can say is AMAZING>please share with us were you got those wheel pants and wing struts,or how and what you used to make them. Just a perfect fit.Paint scheme is a real standout also.Thanx

Quick Reply