Feb 17, 2011, 04:22 PM
Go Ugly Early
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob
Was that beer made by a American owned company? How about the radio where was it made??
Well...I used a TX in Texas (TX), and I'm from TX...so that has to be a sign that it was all Uhm-erkuhn made.

<ka-chssss> ...just opened another one. I've never flown while impaired...maybe I'll cross that off my list this weekend.

What were we talking about?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 17, 2011, 04:43 PM
Heli collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen
Well...I used a TX in Texas (TX), and I'm from TX...so that has to be a sign that it was all Uhm-erkuhn made.

<ka-chssss> ...just opened another one. I've never flown while impaired...maybe I'll cross that off my list this weekend.

Drinking a nice cold beer..
Feb 17, 2011, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdlcar
I'm new to RC and I have an Super Cub LP RTF. I got it last year it only flew it 3 times with no luck then I got it fix. So this year I got the lipo battery out and try to charge it with no luck 2 cell can hold a charge and 1 won't. Now I'm going to buy the champ and maybe have better luck. I just hope it would carry my 808 #3 camera which I was told it would.
Sorry about your Supercub LP; LiPo batteries can only be discharged below a certain voltage or they will be damaged. They also should not be stored with a full charge, but rather about 60% of a full charge.

You should have fun with your Champ, and it will carry the 808 camera, but I think you might have to remove the plastic case of the camera to reduce the weight before you attach it to the Champ. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Then when you get good at flying your Champ you can buy a new LiPo and a float kit for your SuperCub and have a blast with that too!
Feb 17, 2011, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk989
They also should not be stored with a full charge, but rather about 60% of a full charge
Not to start an argument, but I find conflicting info on the internet. Many people and some companies say you can store lipo's @ 100%. Just not at high temperatures. Even more people say you can't. But I get the impression that everyone is just parroting what someone else said. (It's the internet, DOH)

Anyone have a link to a lipo manufacturer FAQ, or a reputable scientific source? No opinions, please. We have those by the dozens.

I for one always keep my Champ lipo's charged. But I pay a big $1.60 for them so don't have much to lose. (and have yet to lose one) My hard-case truck Lipo's cost big bucks, so I store them at 3.85V per cell, just in case.
Feb 17, 2011, 09:17 PM
Go Ugly Early
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM74
Not to start an argument, but I find conflicting info on the internet. Many people and some companies say you can store lipo's @ 100%. Just not at high temperatures. Even more people say you can't. But I get the impression that everyone is just parroting what someone else said. (It's the internet, DOH)

Anyone have a link to a lipo manufacturer FAQ, or a reputable scientific source? No opinions, please. We have those by the dozens.

I for one always keep my Champ lipo's charged. But I pay a big $1.60 for them so don't have much to lose. (and have yet to lose one) My hard-case truck Lipo's cost big bucks, so I store them at 3.85V per cell, just in case.
I'm with you...I leave my lipos fully charged...all the time.
Feb 17, 2011, 09:30 PM
How many times can you charge lipo before they die all together?
Feb 17, 2011, 09:33 PM
My local club members leave their lipos charged ...
I do too now...Except for new ones I keep stored until I want them.
Feb 17, 2011, 09:44 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen

8 hours between bottle and throttle!!
Feb 17, 2011, 09:55 PM
Heli collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha
8 hours between bottle and throttle!!

Unless you are a airline pilot,,,, for them it's just can you find the plane..
Feb 17, 2011, 10:05 PM
Quote:
I'm new to RC and I have an Super Cub LP RTF. I got it last year it only flew it 3 times with no luck then I got it fix. So this year I got the lipo battery out and try to charge it with no luck 2 cell can hold a charge and 1 won't. Now I'm going to buy the champ and maybe have better luck. I just hope it would carry my 808 #3 camera which I was told it would.
*tip* Spend a bit of time flying your champ ... before you attach the camera. A bit of time on a flight sim won't do your efforts any harm either.

I have not removed the camera case on mine and use a little round Velcro sticky to attach the camera. I put the camera pretty much on CoG on the underside of the fuselage. I also put a piece of cotton through the key-chain loop and tie it up and behind the wing to angle the camera down and forward (also acts as a fail safe if the Velcro lets go). [don't tie it too tight! I have also used a rubber band] This lets the camera face forward and miss the prop (no lines in video). I sanded the case of the camera a bit where I mount the Velcro to it and used hot glue to ensure the little sucker stays on the camera. The thing to remember is that the camera is about 18grams and this is nearly 40% of the Champ's standard AUW. The camera does cause a little drag and the little plane notices the extra weight but I have had really good footage from 60 plus feet ... just be gentle with getting it up there ... a 5043 or 5030 prop helps but I originally did it with the champ bulk standard. Try a 160mah battery instead of the standard one ... (they are cheap)
Feb 17, 2011, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Unless you are a airline pilot,,,, for them it's just can you find the plane..
lol
Feb 17, 2011, 11:11 PM
Quote:
How many times can you charge lipo before they die all together?
My guess is there's no magic number -- too many variables. Biggest two I can think of is how often do you get to or below LVC? And the other is how well was this particular battery built? Gotta be good ones and bad ones like anything else.
Feb 17, 2011, 11:25 PM
Go Ugly Early
Quote:
Drinking a nice cold beer..
LOL...I'm having a nice vodka and coke. Hey...is that a full moon? I can see my planes at night...be right back...

Ok...seriously...hey Bob...I used to live in Ann Arbor...I know how you Michiganoids are...
Feb 18, 2011, 10:28 AM
aka RTF
Hey people,long time Champ fan,still loving it.Just thought i share a simple upgrade i just did to keep the mustang motor i just put in, cooler. Hopefully it will last longer.Just a piece of laminated old business card and some adhesive.Also just got a NE solo pro motor,so when the mustang motor bites it, i am ready to try this one.Heard they last longer and have a bit more power than stang motor.5043 prop and Dubro 123 wheels.
Feb 18, 2011, 03:29 PM
HBZ Champ Bush Edition + DX6i
Switched the stock motor to P-51, and I like it - more power, flies now so effortlessly with the 808 cam attached (stock was ok as well).

HBZ Champ - Bush Edition V2 - Flying high and low (1 min 29 sec)

Quick Reply