Dec 31, 2010, 09:41 PM

Wiring Help

I have searched the groups but have not found this.

Can anyone tell me what type of plug is used for the small batteries that we use in the Champ?

I would like to either buy or make an extension wire from my charger to my battery but I need to know what type of plug to buy.

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2010, 09:45 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoat

Can anyone tell me what type of plug is used for the small batteries that we use in the Champ?

I would like to either buy or make an extension wire from my charger to my battery but I need to know what type of plug to buy.

Thanks
HK battery extensions
Dec 31, 2010, 10:00 PM
Go Ugly Early
Quote:

Thanks
They're called "pico" plugs...pico means "beak" in Latin, denoting the tiny size.
Dec 31, 2010, 10:02 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen
I flew into the side of the house (brick)...at full throttle. I have no idea what the plane was thinking...it just dove left, and down.

On a happy note, I traded an extra Champ brick for a Sukhoi - servos/rx.

Damage to the Champ...busted the BRICK...kinda like the one I just put in the mail yesterday. Thank goodness I got rid of my other brick before I had a chance to fix this one...

OK...in all seriousness...I think I can fix it, if I can get a new gear for the elevator servo. The bigger gear is missing a quarter of itself...but everything seems to want to work...but with a gap if a half dozen or so teeth, I'm gonna hafta wait to find that little gear.

Anyone know where I can get one?
Winds near buildings are tricky... with what I have done to mine, how on earth did you break the brick?!?? I haven't done anything like that, and my fuse is wrinkled back to the windows.

Dave
Dec 31, 2010, 10:14 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hog Pen
I flew into the side of the house (brick)...at full throttle. I have no idea what the plane was thinking...it just dove left, and down.

On a happy note, I traded an extra Champ brick for a Sukhoi - servos/rx.

Damage to the Champ...busted the BRICK...kinda like the one I just put in the mail yesterday. Thank goodness I got rid of my other brick before I had a chance to fix this one...

OK...in all seriousness...I think I can fix it, if I can get a new gear for the elevator servo. The bigger gear is missing a quarter of itself...but everything seems to want to work...but with a gap if a half dozen or so teeth, I'm gonna hafta wait to find that little gear.

Anyone know where I can get one?
I'm out of town until tuesday, but PM your address and I can send you some gears when I get home.
Dec 31, 2010, 10:15 PM
Go Ugly Early
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY_Dave
Winds near buildings are tricky... with what I have done to mine, how on earth did you break the brick?!?? I haven't done anything like that, and my fuse is wrinkled back to the windows.

Dave
I was probably stressing the elevator servo trying to get the plane's nose up...then the full-frontal impact...that's the best I can come up with. Funny enough...but the only thing holding the nose of my Champ together now is the tape from previous "accidents", and the little bit of glue that didn't break free on the motor mount. I popped the top off...and the Champ now has a fully functional hood...I can fold it back to rest on the windshield.

Just once...I would like to repair damage from a crash that wasn't some sort of malfunction...you know...to be able to post up and say, "I was performing knife-edge maneuvers flying between cars in a parking lot with my Champ, when a grashopper jumped up, and vaporized in the prop...I was able to keep it inverted off the deck a couple of inches, and ground down the v-stab to a nub...until the entire plane exploded."
Dec 31, 2010, 10:16 PM
Go Ugly Early
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN
I'm out of town until tuesday, but PM your address and I can send you some gears when I get home.
In my best Jim Carrey (AceVentura) voice - MY HEEEEERO!
Dec 31, 2010, 10:51 PM
Quote:

Horizon Hobby sold me a couple of HobbyZone micro battery pigtails...the same piece that's on the plane. What I like about those is they have that little "wing" on them that keeps you from trying to plug in backwards.
Dec 31, 2010, 10:57 PM
Go Ugly Early
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAM74
Horizon Hobby sold me a couple of HobbyZone micro battery pigtails...the same piece that's on the plane. What I like about those is they have that little "wing" on them that keeps you from trying to plug in backwards.
I agree...that is nice. I just dot the correct sides with a Sharpie to make sure I connect the right sides.
Jan 01, 2011, 04:01 AM
Boost rules!
Quote:

Thanks
RC,

It's called a mini JST connector.

If you want to buy one, contact RCBabbel: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13555751&postcount=643

If you want to make your own, Glenn @ RC-Connectors has what you need - and much, much more. US-based, super service, great workmanship, and free shipping within the US.

Battery side connector w/pigtail: http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...roducts_id=188

Charger side connector w/pigtail: http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...roducts_id=191

Joel
Jan 01, 2011, 09:18 AM
Quote:

Thanks
To all those that replied to my question... UNGN, The Hog Pen, Wam74 and Turboparker... Thanks for the quick replies.

I have bought more batteries for my Champ but have only thicker velcro to use on them. As such I was going to use the extension wire as a way to easily charge my batteries.
I have even had my local hobby shop looking for the extension wires but they have had trouble locating somewhere they could buy them from as well.

Thanks again.
Jan 01, 2011, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Regarding the Hyp 160s - back in September, Hyperion announced that a bad batch of 160 mAh UM cells made it to the vendors. Hyperion pulled the 160s from the shelves & told their vendors to do the same; however, some vendors may not have done so. It is possible that some of the bad Hyp 160s are still on the shelves.

See below:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=302

Joel
Thanks for shedding some light on that Joel. I hate it when 2 + 2 doesn't quite add up to 4 in a post (dud Hyperions - WHAT?!?) especially when I was just womping up an order for that item! Now all is right with the world.

LaneVT
Jan 01, 2011, 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob
47F today and I flew 19 minutes with a TP 160 taken from my shirt pocket...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksRC
I managed three flights this morning before the winds started, temperature was around 58 F...
47 F in Michigan and 58 F in Florida!? Stupid weather.

We're supposed to get that 40 F stuff today along with rain showers. I better get off my a$$ if I want to get in my first Champ flights of the year!

HAPPY NEW YEAR FELLOW CHAMP-IONS!

LaneVT
Jan 01, 2011, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksRC
Sorry, I must have missed your mod, did you use the mini rare earth magnets?
I've been thinking about using them, but I concerned they will pull out of the foam. It'd be great to just pop the top off.
True but taping the two halves together adds back in some structural integrity lost by virtue of the split fuse. See UNGN’s post
on this subject here (posts 9 & 10):

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1284545

LaneVT
Jan 01, 2011, 11:24 AM
Kamikaze Ace
MarksRC and others, Excuse the mess that Gorilla Glue foams up like crazy.
Next one if ever will be neater, I promise. But here's my quick disconnect top. And you should have all the stuff laying around to do it.

Pretty simple, uses 3 CF rods to lock it in place. Tail section is a pin on the top that goes into a leftover GWS parts tree part. One of those never knew what it was but I'll hang onto it anyhow things. Snipped off all but about 3/8" of it.
Poked a hole in the bottom fuse and glued it into place.

Two pieces of foam, one center and one up front support some old control rod tubes for strength in the top section. What I did was install the foam, making sure it cleared everything inside. Put the top back on the bottom of the bird after the glue was dry, then took a long sharpened control rod and and pierced through the bottom sides, and the foam, trying to keep it level and centered.

That gave me my reference holes. Pull it back apart, install the control rod tube in the foam inserts on the top section.

For pins, just tiny 1/16" CF rods with a sliver of control rod tube CA'd to them for a handle/stop. Then it was just a matter of reinstalling the top and pushing the CF rods in place.

The control rod tubes when glued in, give you a guide for the pins, and make a strong support for the surrounding foam. If you just used foam, the pins would tear and wear on the foam and soon you'd have a sloppy/weak fit.
Glued in the tubes push and pull at the foam, top/bottom/sides, at least doubling the foam's strength at deforming.

I'm going to add some tubes to the lower half of the fuse for the same reasons, where the pins go through.

But at least you get the idea. Take it from there. It's strong, light, and makes top removal a just pull two pins and you are done.

Quick Reply