Jun 15, 2003, 01:14 AM
Thread OP

Switchback re-build thread (or What the $#*& was that!)

Well, it was inevitable, after ~60 flights, I pranged my SB3d. I've been getting better and better, flying it with more control throws than Doug recommends, no expo or D/R and a Hacker B20 12L in front. Just getting the hang of hovering too. 'Get to the point!' I hear you cry.
I've mastered the plane, I am perfectly comfortable doing anything with it, except, as I found out today, flying it over a tin roofed baseball dugout, which I found makes some fantastic radio interference! the plane dropped out the sky, cartwheeled and bounced off the nose. After that sickening crunch, I was actually not even upset! the first thought that went through my mind was 'I can do a re-build thread, and those wonderful lads on EZone can join along and put in pointers so we can all learn from this'.
I'm excited. A little dismayed that I am grounded for a few days (I love that hacker!)
So, here goes with the damage. Fortunately no electronics were harmed.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 15, 2003, 01:15 AM
Thread OP
Another shot detailing the fuse better
(BTW, these shots were taken with my GSmart Mini3, which I think is truly surprising. I have daylight bulbs on my painting desk, and the combination meant absolutely no light level touch ups on the photos!)
more tomorrow!
Jun 15, 2003, 09:40 AM
Mountain Models Wannabe
I keep thinking of that Monty Python line: "It's just a scratch!"

Definitely looks rebuildable. Thin CA is your friend.

Doug
Jun 15, 2003, 09:48 AM
Ouch Biggles, at least it looks like an easy rebuild.

Speaking of baseball fields, don't try to fly on the other side of a chainlink backstop. It seems the radio waves don't pass through chain link very well. You can guess how I learned this little tidbit.

BC
Jun 15, 2003, 10:42 AM
D W
D W
I love you man.
Here's mine. All fixed except for covering. I find that Probond glue is ideal for these type of repairs. Really light and expands to fill gaps. If you don't have some, get some. Soooo much better than epoxy.
-David-
Jun 15, 2003, 12:07 PM
Uhhh, David,
You might want to take a look at the pic posted. I don't think you've got it fixed yet!

JT
Jun 15, 2003, 12:11 PM
DW, you're right. That Probond really did the trick

m
Jun 15, 2003, 02:16 PM
GRAVITY... Just Say NO!
Hey, DW where did you get that cool cowl? Looks like the bottom of a pop bottle.
Jun 15, 2003, 08:30 PM
D W
D W
I love you man.
AA,
searched far and wide and this fits perfect:
Jun 15, 2003, 08:35 PM
D W
D W
I love you man.
Painted inside so it is bulletproof. Attached with two pieces of spongy foam, covered with small square of lite-ply. Glued on either side of plane and cowl screwed to them. Foam needs to be spongy, kinda like stuff they make kids flip-flops out of, so you can squeeze cowl over them. No failures at all yet even though fuse has taken a beating!
-David-
Jun 15, 2003, 09:49 PM
Very creative DW, nice job. That really gives the switchback that extra something it needs!

-Alex
Jun 23, 2003, 04:50 PM
Thread OP
Well, I took it out for it's new maiden last night and it worked fine, I was going to post pictures but didn't bring my camera. I took it out at lunch today, nice and warm, no wind, and after about 10 minutes of flight, the plane suddenly flipped and piled into the ground. I wasn't doing any aerobatics, and there is only three possible scenarios for what happened:
1: Sudden gust of wind, there were a couple while I was flying, but they didn't seem bad.
2: The 3d wing spacers that are supposed to be glued to the fuse, were glued to the wing so I can fly both wings, I noticed that one of them had broken free.
3: At the exact moment that I went out of control, there was a park maintenance guy, who fired up his lawnmower (Does that cause noise?)

Oh well... How many times can you re-build a SB?
Jun 23, 2003, 05:00 PM
Some types ignitions can cause RF interferance.
I remember when I was a kid, I had a shortwave radio.
Sometimes the radio would emit a popping sound as a car passed by. Dad said it was the spark plugs firing.

Why is it I can remember something 40 years ago, but not what I did a week ago?

Sorry about your SB,
Bil
Jun 23, 2003, 05:11 PM
characters welcome!
According to Doug, the 3D spacers indeed go on the wing otherwise, how would you be able to switch wings? Hence the plane's name.

mw

Quick Reply