Aug 08, 2011, 11:24 PM
Master of the Wind
Thread OP
Finished the wiring harness, RDS, and joiners. All that is left is assembly and balance. Looking really good.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 09, 2011, 11:18 PM
Master of the Wind
Thread OP
All balanced and still a few hundred grams under. Just the wipers on the hinge lines and we are ready to fly.
Aug 10, 2011, 10:43 AM

XC#10 Flys Again

Glad to hear the fix is coming along nicely. It will be nice to get some test flying in before Cal Valley.
Aug 10, 2011, 12:33 PM
Bay Area Model Flyer
Maybe in a couple weeks we can test fly and get distance pins. SVSS in a couple weeks??
Aug 13, 2011, 11:12 PM
Master of the Wind
Thread OP
All fixed and we have a winch tomorrow.
Sep 23, 2011, 09:16 PM
"Flying is my life!"

Update

Awful quiet. So?

Whats next? We're all ready for your next project.
Sep 23, 2011, 11:49 PM
Master of the Wind
Thread OP
At Cal Valley now. Good run today. Neck and neck with the Supra. Next will be a second copy but that is a winter project. Supra is easier to fly but #10 may have a little edge in speed. Mostly comes down to pilot at this point.
Mar 15, 2012, 11:02 PM
Hi Greg, I have been lurking on your XCracer series for over a year. I fly genies (Harley) which are slightly smaller.

I am writing this to warn you that over winter my RDS coupler crumbled from acid residue I left inside the tube when I soldered the wiper arm in. New procedure calls for soaking the shaft in baking soda (2 tbs/pt) solution overnight.

Thanks for all your hard work, and also for documenting your work.

I am very interested in XC, maybe we shall meet someday.

Doug Wallace, Kelowna, Canada
Mar 15, 2012, 11:02 PM
Hi Greg, I have been lurking on your XCracer series for over a year. I fly genies (Harley) which are slightly smaller.

I am writing this to warn you that over winter my RDS coupler crumbled from acid residue I left inside the tube when I soldered the wiper arm in. New procedure calls for soaking the shaft in baking soda (2 tbs/pt) solution overnight.

Thanks for all your hard work, and also for documenting your work.

I am very interested in XC, maybe we shall meet someday.

sorry for duplicate post

Doug Wallace, Kelowna, Canada
Last edited by rrcdoug; Mar 15, 2012 at 11:08 PM. Reason: duplicate
Mar 16, 2012, 02:59 AM
Pure soaring - no motor
Greg,

do you know these articels:

http://scherrer.pagesperso-orange.fr...el%20flies.pdf
http://scherrer.pagesperso-orange.fr...late_OSTIV.pdf

I think it can help you in the developement of #11. Great job!

Bernd
Mar 16, 2012, 02:09 PM
Master of the Wind
Thread OP
I did clean the RDS well in water after I made them. Hope all the acid came off. Baking soda is a good idea. I should check them after sitting this winter.

I did read those articles a while back. Very interesting. For now #10 will have to do until somebody goes faster than me. Season starts in about a week, weather permitting.
Mar 16, 2012, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Norsworthy
I did clean the RDS well in water after I made them. Hope all the acid came off. Baking soda is a good idea. I should check them after sitting this winter.
I did read those articles a while back. Very interesting. For now #10 will have to do until somebody goes faster than me. Season starts in about a week, weather permitting.
I use this SS soldering method to completely eliminate corrosion risk:

First, clean all the SS components, and tin with solder using acid flux. This includes the inside of the SS tubes. Then clean off the parts completely, first using baking soda in water, and then some sort of solvent like acetone. Then assemble/solder the components using rosin flux.

Because the SS tube is tinned inside, and the wiper is tinned outside, you have to heat them while putting the wiper into the tube. But this is a not difficult if you have a big soldering iron.
Mar 31, 2012, 01:37 AM
Pure soaring - no motor
Greg, how do you have calculated the horizontal tail (size, AR,..)?

Bernd
Mar 31, 2012, 01:01 PM
Master of the Wind
Thread OP
Bernd,

I was fortunate enough to get the design as a package from Philip Kolb. The design is proprietary but I can say that the tail volume coefficient is .43.

That is a good number to start with for a T tail. I would stick with .42-.45. You can make a plane fly with a smaller stab but it may have problems on the launch.

The best reference for design is the Supra plans, both for aero and structure. Also you can take any of the popular J planes and use the fuse/tail proportions as long as you like the handling. The next step would be to use XFLR5 but I am not sure there is a lot to be gained in this area for the effort.

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articles/supra/supra.htm

Good luck,

Greg

Quick Reply