What could possibly go wrong?
Quote:
"great minds seldom differ"
Or "fools seldom differ"?

to remove ads between posts
Dec 02, 2011, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vykhan
Food for thoughts: I ran accross this plane design from the 80's, the Ligeti Stratos, and there's something in it that could be really interesting for WIGs: "By mixing split flap rudder/ Nose wheel faring it can achieve a flat turn or orbit around a target while remaining level in pitch/roll ". See here: http://www.lgtaerospace.com/index.ph...os-performance

No more wing tips in water. I haven't thought about how this could be implemented in a WIG design but as I said, it's just "Food for thoughts" for now.
Dec 03, 2011, 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchud
Or "fools seldom differ"?

Exactly!
Dec 03, 2011, 06:46 AM
если такие вам не интересны
Last edited by qxev; Dec 03, 2011 at 04:50 PM.
Dec 03, 2011, 08:15 AM
Suspended Account
: eek:
Dec 03, 2011, 08:21 AM
Thread OP
What is the benefit of this closed wing configuration in ground effect? The main wing shouldn't be swept or high aspect ratio. So it's not suitable for WIG flight.
Dec 03, 2011, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdsG
What is the benefit of this closed wing configuration in ground effect? The main wing shouldn't be swept or high aspect ratio. So it's not suitable for WIG flight.
Doesn't approach for such devices.
Which fly only at low height always
Last edited by qxev; Dec 04, 2011 at 06:17 PM.
Dec 03, 2011, 03:26 PM
Thread OP
I am sorry but I don't understand you.

For example the Ivolga is a B type WIG, so it's able to fly continuously in weak ground effect. And I don't understand the connection between flying height and the box/joint wing configuration.

I just said that this box-wing configuration is the opposite of ground effect configuration, so I think it's not relevant to the forum. As FlyNano, basic box-wing planes are not WIG crafts, so please do not post things which do not belong here.

Gabriel
Last edited by RdsG; Dec 03, 2011 at 04:24 PM.
Dec 03, 2011, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdsG
I am sorry but I don't understand you.

For example the Ivolga is a B type WIG, so it's able to fly continuously in weak ground effect. And I don't understand the connection between flying height and the box/joint wing configuration.

I just said that this box-wing configuration is the opposite of ground effect configuration, so I think it's not relevant to the forum. As FlyNano, basic box-wing planes are not WIG crafts, so please do not post things which do not belong here.

Gabriel
There are cars which use the screen
Basically - on landing.

(Though they can and fly constantly at small height)

Quote:
.... In 1967 has been designed single экранолет (the device, capable to fly at a great distance from the screen) ХАИ-25. It has been executed on offered SibNIA to the scheme - "a compound wing". Feature of such aerodynamic configuration consists that the device wing is executed from developed центроплана with the big chord. In this case центроплан has the big area and small lengthening - 0,5-1,5, and пристыкованные to the tsentro-plan of the console of a wing have the big lengthening and, of course, small root and trailer chords. Such "the compound wing" provides the big aerodynamic quality of the device at flight over the screen thanks to developed центроплану with the big chord that increases action of screen effect practically to height, its equal chord. In the free weed preservation set aerodinamiche-skogo qualities provide consoles of a wing of the big lengthening.
Subsequently the layout scheme of the flying machine "a compound wing" was confidential up to 1980-1985, before occurrence of "the integrated scheme" which underlies aerodynamic configuration of all maneuverable planes of the fourth generation (MiG-29, Su-27, F-16, F-18 and etc.).
"The compound wing" with rather big thickness центроплана allows to arrange easily a cabin of crew and the engine with the air screw in a contour центроплана. As it has been used in aerodynamic configuration экранолета ХАИ-25. On lateral chords центроплана floats, a tail part them settled down passed in vertical plumage on which the horizontal plumage has been established. In the course of work have made кордовую flying model экранолета ХАИ-25 with компрессионным the aviamodelling engine. It was steady in flight over the screen, on transitive modes and in free flight.

If such to you aren't interesting
Dec 03, 2011, 06:18 PM
Thread OP
ELA-01(ХАИ-25) is c-type WIG. But not every airplane is a WIG craft which use wing in ground effect (chord dominated ground effect) to take off or land.
The most important requirement that a WIG should meet is the hands-off stable ground effect flight.

On the other there are some plane which has the C-type WIG classification, but they are not real WIGs. For example the Aron-7 which flight height is limited to fulfill the regulation of IMO, but its not a real WIG craft.
Dec 04, 2011, 02:53 AM
Hey Qxev, don't get Gabriel wrong, we are always happy to see new enthusiasts posting their ideas in this forum!

However, for the last week you have been randomly posting pictures of Ekranoplans (which to my believe all have been posted here earlier), but you're not really adding any value like this. I mean I've got... 4.679 Photo's and documents on Ekranoplans on my computer so I could also just keep on posting new photo's, but this wouldn't really lead to anything

This is what Gabriel meant, Surely it's not wrong to post pictures of a Boxwing even if it's not a WIG, but then you would need to post it because you're trying to prove a concept/idea/model of yours or you want to aid to a discussion. Now you're just posting pictures on and on without any lead..

So.. Maybe you could start by telling what your ideas are, or if you have built a model yet?

@ Gabriel - I really liked your Canard glider, it was really weird to see that it also was stable at higher flying heights. Only goes to prove that I haven't got a clue how these vehicle's work..(I thought I did)

Best regards

Marijn
Dec 04, 2011, 05:38 AM
Hello.
Here are some pictures of my old\new rebuilded Orljonok. Progress is very slow, I have not much free time
It will be powered with cheap 3x "400" motors and 3cell 2200mAh Lipo.
It have more than enough power. The takeof on grass is instant
I also made some gliding tests on the grass - the directional stability is bad because the unfinished stabiliser - but already now Orljonok flyes 10 - 15meters
I´m planning to add under the sponsons little watersky - it´s cheat, but in the turning it will help. Like on the hoverwing.
Dec 04, 2011, 07:44 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Marijn!

Well, I thought WIGs without a high T-tail can't be really pitch stable, especially the canard WIGs. I was wrong. But I am still skeptic...

@Pedrc: It looks nice!
Why waterski is a cheat?

Gabriel
Dec 04, 2011, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoverman
Hey Qxev, don't get Gabriel wrong, we are always happy to see new enthusiasts posting their ideas in this forum!

However, for the last week you have been randomly posting pictures of Ekranoplans (which to my believe all have been posted here earlier), but you're not really adding any value like this. I mean I've got... 4.679 Photo's and documents on Ekranoplans on my computer so I could also just keep on posting new photo's, but this wouldn't really lead to anything

This is what Gabriel meant, Surely it's not wrong to post pictures of a Boxwing even if it's not a WIG, but then you would need to post it because you're trying to prove a concept/idea/model of yours or you want to aid to a discussion. Now you're just posting pictures on and on without any lead..

So.. Maybe you could start by telling what your ideas are, or if you have built a model yet?

@ Gabriel - I really liked your Canard glider, it was really weird to see that it also was stable at higher flying heights. Only goes to prove that I haven't got a clue how these vehicle's work..(I thought I did)

Best regards

Marijn
http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/on...e-retirem.html
Dec 05, 2011, 03:41 AM
Thread OP
Just a few new findings:

Attempts for towed WIG without stabilizer:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ElmTechD.../1/_U7pzBdLkWA

1:1 Cushion Crow (it's not flying yet):
Cushion Boat Sea Trials (7 min 0 sec)

RC version:
http://www.youtube.com/user/cushionb.../0/tWUmnMKOzeA

Edit:

Tandem airfoil jet "boat". (yet unfinished ):
http://www.lafavinie.f2s.com/Models/page2.html

And a proposed anti-submarine version of the KM:
Last edited by RdsG; Dec 05, 2011 at 04:40 AM.

Quick Reply