Aug 08, 2010, 02:11 PM
Very interesting work here!

Hoverman, how did the red one with the 3 props work out?

I take it the "caspian sea monster" is maybe not really a viable design for a model wig?

The tandem Jorg one, so this design does not rise high enough if i understand correctly? But it is very stable?

Sorry for the noob questions, im trying to get up to speed on this stuff, very cool.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2010, 02:52 PM
Hey Silenthunter,

The red one wasn't very succesfull, it worked..but it's a bit old generation, designed for heavy accu's and brushed engines. It needed full power and pivotting engines for PAR(Power Assisted Ram), to come even close to a Take off.

The design is valid, I would just advise everyone to not use pivotting engines on their model, as the pitching moments will drive you crazy during TO.

The caspian sea monster is a very nice design for an RC WIG btw, did you see my Spasatel model?

Works great, once you learn how to correctly design hydrodynamic planing hulls The model worked just fine, but I experienced some trouble with the planing bottoms, which made the model crash after a few runs. But it will fly again

The tandem jörg boet is véry stable, but it's longitudinal stability is limited to a small flying height and low pitch angles. Great system, for small fast Wigs on flat waters.

greetz
Aug 08, 2010, 03:11 PM
Yes i just looked at your Spasatel. looks great!

How about a few ducted fans up front, angled down somewhat to blow air back and under the wings? maybe would make flight easier...Certianly would look the part. Just a thought. These craft are pretty new to me

I do like your red one. I wouldent mind giving one a shot with brushless power. Woul you be willing to share some spects on it?

Thanks,

Rick
Aug 08, 2010, 08:02 PM
hoverman, my AIRCAT not designed to fly in water as I have no lake or river nearby, it only works on the ground, I had some problems and has only flown for about two seconds before crashing due to a problem of direction.
the next test the engine and stop damage to the hull.

regarding your spastel think that as you avoid what happened to land on Mon / original spastel had a retractable ski in addition to helping on takeoff when a lot of wind helped to stop contact with water to avoid what you you pass, the plan would touch water and go slowly losing speed until just touch the water skiing and tail.
Aug 09, 2010, 03:04 AM
@ Silenthunter - Ducted fans would be really cool ofcourse, but then you would need 8 for the real deal Cool, but expensive!(8 not very water resistant Esc's) I was thinking of putting two emax 2822 outrunners onfront, angled upwards. Maybe in the near future..

About the hydroski, you're quite right Jorge, but I actually placed a sort of hydroski on the bottom during testing:

This helped, but it didn't solve the problem completely. What happens during landing is that the hydroski/bottom skins drag along the water, which pulls the nose into the water. As the hull is very long, this drag caused by the front part of the hull, makes the model directionally unstable, trying to make it go anywhere but forward.

Now I actually do know some solutions to this problem, so it's not that bigadeal. The real problem was that before I could get to the point of solving it, it crashed and destroyed nearly everything onboard ( brushless motor, 100A esc, AR7100 full range reciever, 3 servo's).

So at that point my motivation to repair it sank straight through my pants.

About the red one...

you can find plans for it at:
http://www.grahamktaylor.com/models/...%20models.html

Currently Graham misses the link to order the plans online, but if you email him he will probably be glad to help you. I have the plans myself and would gladly scan them and post them here, but I don't think Graham would feel very well about that

I can give you quite some pictures though:

About specs..uuhm well I am sitting on the side of a pool in france at the moment so I can't measure it up at the moment, but it is about 1,10m long, wingspan..50cm approximately. Angles are something like 6 or 7 degrees for the main wing, the canard 2 degrees higher. The stabiliser isn't fixed, you''ll have to find a correct position yourself.

Greetz,

Marijn
Last edited by hoverman; Aug 09, 2010 at 06:01 AM.
Aug 09, 2010, 04:13 AM
hey friends.

Find information about the European competition ekranoplanos in Madrid, apparently were made by two TV broadcasts, even if I'm looking for and can not find them I send an email to any component of the jury or the building of naval sure some copy will have on their pc.

I sent a long e-mail but I'm wrong and send them to recepcción of the entire university and not to building correct, then problems with my mailing tube until a week ago I could not use, I hope to get the two videos and some photo

@ Marijn, it would be interesting to have those plans
Last edited by jjjasesino; Aug 14, 2010 at 04:50 PM.
Aug 09, 2010, 06:35 AM
Gabriel,
what a fantastic link to the e-books. Many, many thanks for that.

Regards
Achim
Aug 09, 2010, 11:07 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by coast-flyer View Post
Gabriel,
what a fantastic link to the e-books. Many, many thanks for that.

Regards
Achim
Your welcome

You can find more there: http://www.wuala.com/groundeffect/Do...ound%20effect/

képek means pictures (photos, drawings)
könyv és dokumentum means books and documents
videók means videos

Gabriel
Aug 09, 2010, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the info Marijn! Im going to give it a try.

Yes i hear you, 8 edf's yould be a pain.

You might consider putting some small transverse ribs on the bottom also, to help break the water adhesion.
Aug 09, 2010, 04:52 PM
Marijn,

I tried emailing him for the plans, but it got sent back... If you know of his email, please PM me.

thanks!
Aug 10, 2010, 03:15 AM
Well, on the site it sais this should be his email adress:

grahamktaylor@grahamktaylor.com

But on the WIG group he uses this:

home.taylor@virgin.net

Aug 10, 2010, 08:55 AM
I found this: http://www.wigetworks.com/
Aug 10, 2010, 09:47 AM
Hey Jorge,

That site has been discussed before here, Gabriel posted some High Res pictures of the FS-8 a few weeks ago. I send those guys an email, asking for some more detailed information about the Airfish 3, which as far as I know is also in their collection. I didn't get a reaction though..

At least cool to know that the FS8 isn't just falling apart in some dusty hangar, but there are still people who believe in it!

Marijn
Aug 10, 2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks!

when do you expect you'll next run your "sea monster" ? Cant wait to see it, please get some video at some point.
Aug 10, 2010, 12:50 PM
I don't know, to be honest, it is currently hanging on the wall in my room, next to the red one, and it looks good like this haha.

I am still eager to build a tandem wig, after all the extensive testing on non rc models the last few weeks.

Still, firstly there will probably be another project, the Heliferry.

http://users.telenet.be/heliferry/

Luc de Keyser(Belgium) came up with this type of WIG, and after I posted the progress on the Blue Lippisch models he contacted me with the request to see if it was possible to, and then build, one or two RC Rotorwigs.

Here are some drawings I made, they don't all represent valiable ideas, they are just simple sketches of possibilities. The models will probably resemble the model on the last drawing.

Please, don't overthrow me with questions about if this project is commercially viable, or if you think it looks stupid, I have to admit that after mailing with Luc for some weeks now, this concept is more thought out than it looks, and I am wondering how a model would work!

For people wondering, Yes..the hulls are wavepiercing, not hullstepped, and yes it's a Bixel shape(the lippisch shape was rejected as the bixel shape seems to suit this concept better)

Greetz,

Marijn

Quick Reply