May 25, 2019, 09:28 PM
Really?
I found this interesting: http://www.ussr-airspace.com/index.p...oducts_id=2243

The idea of hydroplanes to break loose of the water is intriguing.

They also have various other models I never heard of:

http://www.ussr-airspace.com/index.p...ort=20a&page=1
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2019, 12:57 PM

Hovercraft-ekranoplan LUCH-5, the first test

Экраноплан ЛУЧ-5 (ekranoplan LUCH-5) (0 min 10 sec)
Jul 16, 2019, 12:25 AM
Ekranoplan LUCH-5 - the continuation of the tests

Экраноплан ЛУЧ-5/Ekranoplan LUCH-5 (2) (0 min 12 sec)
Jul 29, 2019, 05:26 AM

Ekranoplan LUCH-5 - some more video:
Экраноплан ЛУЧ-5/Ekranoplan LUCH-5 (3) (1 min 13 sec)
Feb 20, 2020, 04:51 PM
Intermediate Multi
Here's Peter Sripol having success with a Caspian Sea Monster:

GIANT RC Ekranoplan (Secret Russian aircraft?) (14 min 38 sec)
Feb 22, 2020, 10:35 PM
Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisquire
Here's Peter Sripol having success with a Caspian Sea Monster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY3PgBXeV9Y
Impressive! I wonder how it would have worked with the motors mounted a little higher (the wing to). Also end plates that extended more under the wings?
Feb 25, 2020, 08:55 AM
Intermediate Multi
Yeah, it does deviate from scale a bit, doesn't it.
Feb 25, 2020, 11:34 AM
dare to be dull
Quote:
Originally Posted by dll932
Impressive! I wonder how it would have worked with the motors mounted a little higher (the wing to). Also end plates that extended more under the wings?
I've wondered about that as well. Top mounting the wing would make it easier to remove for transport..

I've also wondered about just mounting the motors on nacelles in front of the wings.
Feb 28, 2020, 05:37 PM
Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn
I've wondered about that as well. Top mounting the wing would make it easier to remove for transport..

I've also wondered about just mounting the motors on nacelles in front of the wings.
Also interesting ideas.
Mar 01, 2020, 01:40 PM
As someone said in the video comments, it would have been nice to have the front motors on pivots and then a much smaller motor/prop on the tail. Demonstrate that the tail motor isn't enough to get it off the water by itself and you need the power assisted ram effect from the front fans to do the initial takeoff. Once in ground effect shut off the front motors and cruise just on the small tail once, again demonstrate how much more lift and less drag there is in ground effect, it would also help limit the craft to ground effect and not make it so keen to lift off. Seems like a bit of a missed opportunity there but the video is great all the same.

I noticed an uptick in people watching my ekranoplan videos following the publication of the video so it looks like we got a bit more attention.
Mar 02, 2020, 06:35 AM
AnhedralFSWGEV -- with canards
I saw the video... He kept complaining that he had to put the nose downwards and reduce the power, which actually confirms how well the design works.
There is a documentary (I think it's something like the Top 5 of weird USSR planes) where it explictly states the front reactor are only used to blow air under the "winglets" to help get it airborne and shut down once it's achieved. From what I understood, Peter Sripol's design only has the front blowers (one each side) and nothing at the back.
Beautiful little bird, tho.
Mar 02, 2020, 07:22 AM
Intermediate Multi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marabiloso
I saw the video... He kept complaining that he had to put the nose downwards.............
As I understand it, the lifting stab is what helps keep the nose down. Peter's stab doesn't appear to have an airfoil.

Quick Reply