Dec 02, 2010, 01:12 AM
Retardedly intelligent
thats what i'm thinking too, the op seems to ignore the fact that a quad layout is the easiest and safest way to do this project. I find it humerous that when another member read in the comments section of the martin jet pack video that stated that it was computer controlled, the op never replied back. There would be a greater chance of success if he'd discuss this project in more detail rather when he realized that the martain jet pack did have gyros, he never said a word?... Im sure he'll be able to be lifted up with his creation as long as he has two helpers next to him to stabilize the craft, similar to the martain jetpack before it was computer stabilized. Free stabilized flight? Not a chance...
to remove ads between posts
Dec 02, 2010, 01:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by foam and tape
thats what i'm thinking too, the op seems to ignore the fact that a quad layout is the easiest and safest way to do this project. I find it humerous that when another member read in the comments section of the martin jet pack video that stated that it was computer controlled, the op never replied back. There would be a greater chance of success if he'd discuss this project in more detail rather when he realized that the martain jet pack did have gyros, he never said a word?... Im sure he'll be able to be lifted up with his creation as long as he has two helpers next to him to stabilize the craft, similar to the martain jetpack before it was computer stabilized. Free stabilized flight? Not a chance...
the thing is, I don't think you even need great gyro's for stabilization, I've seen these style rc quad/hex-copters using cheap HK 401 gyros... so it should be very possible to just upscale the design, add a seat, and fly in the thing... at least, that's how I see it (from a point of view of a guy with zero knowlege in quadcopters)

here's an interesting pic (bogoframe)

SK
Last edited by ministeve2003; Dec 02, 2010 at 01:30 AM.
Dec 02, 2010, 01:29 AM
Retardedly intelligent
Yup, he could get away easily on one of those ready made units too. all he'd have to do is take 4 servo testers and plug them into the unit and voila instant human carrying quad copter or hex or octo copter.....
Dec 02, 2010, 01:36 AM
I think a quad layout would be much more stable also, but, Im curious to see just how this thing turns out.

LOVE the plans for the TV.... looks like you have it all figured out too!

Laine.
Dec 02, 2010, 01:52 AM
is there any benefit to having the motors push or pull?

SK
Dec 02, 2010, 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmopar69
I think a quad layout would be much more stable also, but, Im curious to see just how this thing turns out.

LOVE the plans for the TV.... looks like you have it all figured out too!

Laine.
I will just sit back and watch from here on out, i promise.

Imopar69- Maybe KDH would be a good place to test this? Nice and calm, it's only got a single runway for cripes sake.

Good luck wise Guys.
Dec 02, 2010, 02:38 AM
Retardedly intelligent
Yup, we'll just have to see just how things pan out. I can definitely assure you an action figure sized scale model of this wouldint hover or even stay up right for more than a few seconds without some method of stabilization. The full scale may be diffrent since its alot larger and the controls may be dampened out a bit.
Dec 02, 2010, 03:39 AM
What's a servo?
This thread is full of win.
I would have never visited the Giant Electric Planes forum if it wasn't for this epic attempt.

I would post a YouTube vid of a Texan who built his own jetpack.
He purchased 8 x Wren 36lb jets. Constructed them 4 per side, angled 45 degrees downwards and outwards.
Basically the guy advanced up to tethered manned flights, and yes, the machine looked like it has plenty of potential with good power in reserve and about 20 minutes endurance.
The video is no longer available from YouTube now though. The bloke only built the machine for a proof of concept. The machine was definitely as practical as the Martin Jetpack, just MUCH louder.

For this effort. I am sorry to say, I have to look and smile.
There are some engineering hurdles which I suspect are not entirely thought through.
I will offer my utterly worthless 2c though.
For this attempt to even come CLOSE to a working proof of concept, I believe that a design in which the motors are installed in a hexocopter or octocopter configuration is required.
Larger geared props are a must. Check the paragliding industry for suitable props.
Gyro stabilization is a must.
You can control yaw by tilting props, just like the tricopter fliers do. Essentially a gyro stabilized hexo or octo frame, with two linked props tilting to control yaw, these dont even need to be servo controlled, simply an operator controlled mechanical yaw linkage on two props.
Then, the payload can sit in the middle/low in the airframe, and control the thrust direction via weightshift.

The operater controls (once gyro stabilized) are then throttle/thrust. yaw. weightshift. Simple enough to handle.

However, I suspect none of these design parameters will be considered by the OP.

I have my doubts about electric rotary wing aviation.
Heck, even the modern electric fixed wing ultralights are only getting about 20-40 minutes of endurance.
I thank you for making my afternoon. I look forward to the photos of the finished airframe and design.
Dec 02, 2010, 06:35 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentP
Man Wise Guy must be tempted to blow off posting here, with all the "your gonna die" support some are giving.
Neh...

It's a bit like saying "break a leg" - meaning that's the last thing we want to happen...

BJ
Dec 02, 2010, 08:17 AM
byte me!
How can anyone think something negative could happen? There will be only ONE outcome, FLIGHT!!
Best of luck wise guy!
Dec 02, 2010, 09:03 AM
fly until you die!!!! :)
Wise guy any update?
Dec 02, 2010, 09:49 AM
Sussex, UK
Quote:
is there any benefit to having the motors push or pull?
Props on the top are less likely to get broken, but slightly less efficient as the air is moving faster below the props than above them.
Dec 02, 2010, 11:08 AM
"Where are the shovels?"
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by foam and tape

Unfortunately I've been packed in this week, and have literally only read this thread on my iphone while walking or drivng (when I'm not behind the wheel of course)- I will reply soon in length to the many kind responses from the past few days, but let me address you first-

The Martin jet pack ***was successfully flown at length with no gyros.**+ the video I posted shows this from takeoff to landing. Glenn Martin decided on using a servo/gyro setup on the soon-to-be production version because his buying audience are primarily not pilots, they are your typical Beverly Hills/Grosse Pointe/West Palm Beech citizens who want to wash their jet pack in their driveway next to their Icon light sport plane, while their friendly neighbors wash their F430 on the other size of the street. Servos and gyros are an inexpensive and reliable solution to this problem of training pilot-illiterate customers.

I promise I will post tomorrow or Saturday when I get to my home desktop...bye
Dec 02, 2010, 11:35 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP
Anyway, I agree we need more pictures!
Hows about this one......
Dec 02, 2010, 12:31 PM
Retardedly intelligent
Cool, very cool! Still unsure about the layout and how it will playout at a larger scale, best of luck to ya though. You must post pics soon I really want to see this thing

Quick Reply