Personal "Jet Pack" Build Thread - RC Groups
Jun 05, 2010, 12:13 AM
"Where are the shovels?"
Discussion

Personal "Jet Pack" Build Thread

The last few months I've been heavily considering building a jet pack using standard rc parts.

Originally I thought about using eight of hobbyking's 7500 watt outrunners, however the price would come out to over $3000. I've done research and have decided to either go with a $2000 setup involving four of the da112 engines + walbro carborators, or six 5.5hp for $1200.

The downside to the nitro over the brushless is it could be difficult to tune all six of the engines to operate as closely as possible so thrust differences will not cause stability issues.

I'm still considering going with electric because of perfect timing.

Of course I will operate this as a giant rc heli, until I (if ever) strap it on and take it for a 5 foot test flight. No doubt it would make a good $2000 photo.

The dream setup would be to use a single 100hp motor with counterrotating blades like you see in the youtube videos. Unfortunately there are not many options for air-cooled motors with prop mounting. Would like suggestions on this though.

A note to all of the idiot arm-chair pilot trolls posters who will tell me "how do you plan to control pitch/roll/yaw?" "if there is no parachute, you will come down like a rock," "ducted fans will be the only choice, idiot," "you will get a disturbing the peace ticket for trying this in your backyard, let alone get in trouble for flying an unregistered ultralighht...because ultralights have to be registered...or is it certification?" "good luck, evil knevil." -do not bother posting on this thread. I enjoy taking this hobby to the next level. The goal is to create something unbelievably cool, not something that is practical or that even works safely beyond ten feet of altitude. I'm an engineer at heart and fly my own 177rg. I think I'll suffice no more than a few scratches from building the thing.
Last edited by wise guy; Nov 19, 2010 at 10:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 05, 2010, 12:29 AM
beginning night flyer
i think this is a cool idea, good luck!
Jun 05, 2010, 12:54 AM
Hey wise guy, just use a ducted fan
Jun 05, 2010, 08:20 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
But then, why do helicopters use big diameter blades instead of ducted fans ?.

There's quite a few 'personal helicopters' on YouTube, this one looks feasible as electric -

Personal Helicopter (2 min 6 sec)
Jun 05, 2010, 08:22 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
But then again, there is always someone who will use ducted fans -

Personal Jet Pack Makes Debut at Air Show (1 min 27 sec)
Jun 05, 2010, 12:03 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I'd find me some sponsorship for this one!
Jun 05, 2010, 10:09 PM
"Where are the shovels?"
Perhaps Jim B would be willing to sponsor... Hmm...
Jun 05, 2010, 10:25 PM
Heres a link to a Back-Pack Thread;

http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6405
Jun 05, 2010, 10:38 PM
You could build a 10-20ft off the ground, back-pack heli these days quite easy. Probably alot cheaper than a Jet-pack and easily have 10 minutes or more flight time. You just need money, time, research talants and a big set of you know what.
The Mosquito ultralight heli is 254lbs, 18ft rotor, 60hp, 75mph, 8000ft ceiling with a 250lb pilot and is a fully operational heli.
If you just copied/enlarged a decent Walker type co-ax heli, run it on 2 outrunners, about 12ft rotor span and keep it real simple, it should be easy! Butch
Jun 05, 2010, 11:40 PM
What's that button do?
Without putting any effort into running accurate numbers, couldn't you use something like a Hacker A60, 4:1 reduction, and a 4-5ft rotor? (VERY) Roughly 10-12 kW, 180lbs thrust.

Maybe order a custom pair of A60's with custom shaft for counter rotation, and super low KV. Just throwing random ideas around, no real thought put into it.
Jun 05, 2010, 11:59 PM
HobbyKing has a 6500 watt motor, about 1500 grams. 4 of those, 2 for each rotor, would be plenty of power.
The video above, with the gas powered heli, is only about 30hp or so.
Neu motors also has some small 10-20hp motors there going to build soon.
Some special wound outrunners could reduce the need for such high reduction gearing.
Jun 07, 2010, 01:05 PM
For those less than perfect landings, one could make the seat out of EPP!!
Jun 07, 2010, 02:14 PM
Beware the Axis of Weasel.
I love the idea, do it. My largest motors are below 60g so I have no experience with the larger stuff, but have a look here. I buy a lot of my stuff from this site and have never had a single problem with anything.http://www.giantcod.co.uk/400grams-a...25_84_199.html
Jun 11, 2010, 12:29 AM
The Japan version, the Gen-4 I think, uses 4-10hp motors and 13ft counter-rotating blades. I don't really concider it a back-pack heli as it weighs 175lbs.
If you built one about 60-70lbs, maybe 30hp, it would be enough to just buzz around!
Jun 11, 2010, 12:38 PM
Trying to defy gravity...
MythBusters built one via two HUGE (gas powered?) ducted fans. If I recall it was loud, cumbersome and not very practical...but fun I'm sure.

Jimsky