May 30, 2010, 07:56 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Four reason not to buy a Headplay goggle for FPV

Hi

I started to fly FPV a couple of months ago, just like many people I wonder at first what kind of video goggle to buy, then I chose the best picture quality that I can afford it, a Headpaly, but now I have four important reasons not to buy a Headpaly for FPV.

1- your video quality is limited by the Camera and AV transmitter so first of all you should not be very obsessive about the goggle quality.

2- Headplay has a very bad problem with Pal video system or low power video RF signals, its freezing picture in case of losing RF signal or pal systems, many times you must restart it and it takes about a minute to start up again, then you must go though the menu and select input device and pages, its almost impossible while flying.

3- These goggles has a central box named Liberator that is designed to accept different devices like USB flash disk or CF memories, this box is a pain when you go out in the field to fly, this system may be is good to sit on sofa and watch movies but is not good in field.

4- The most complain part is the stupid connector who connect goggles to the liberator, Headplay has an stiff cable for goggles and at the end a very fragile connector, its clear that rough cable will smash that connector and many peoples who use this goggle have problem with that connector.

If you are going to buy one of these goggles for FPV then select a Fatshark that is designed for FPV or even simply a 640x480 iTeheater or similar cheep one.
to remove ads between posts
May 30, 2010, 08:22 AM
Only four ?!!! This thread found EIGHT !
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1141077

I second opinion about iTheater, mine were tried last year at L'Aigle by one of the major vendors present there, and the verdict was they are a bit better than the RV920 he stocks.
May 30, 2010, 08:26 AM
Praying for better weather
Very interesting and informative review, seems like its not too FPV friendly at all from that perspective.

I personally use VR1400 VR headset 640x480 also braned under other names internationally. I find this headset is fine, cheap, does what it says on the tin.

There have been a few accounts of the frame cracking after time but nothing that a bit of epoxy cant put right, anyhow after some time ill probably be fitting them to ski goggles as the rubber surround to shut out sunlight isnt that effective at all.
May 30, 2010, 11:07 AM
Crashomatic
I also have headplays and other brand of Goggles.
All this is true and I think written a bit everywhere (and the other reasons like "sun" too).

Still I would like to point out 2 things:
* Other goggles (at least all the 640x480 i used) do not match picture quality, regardless of the camera, by a noticeable margin.
* Headplays are very comfortable on the head.

So if you don't move a lot and you have a camera that works well with the headplay, and don't mind the box, it's not so bad. But unless you can test it before-hand I would not recommend headplays either.
May 30, 2010, 11:33 AM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashMeUp
I also have headplays and other brand of Goggles.
All this is true and I think written a bit everywhere (and the other reasons like "sun" too).

Still I would like to point out 2 things:
* Other goggles (at least all the 640x480 i used) do not match picture quality, regardless of the camera, by a noticeable margin.
* Headplays are very comfortable on the head.

So if you don't move a lot and you have a camera that works well with the headplay, and don't mind the box, it's not so bad. But unless you can test it before-hand I would not recommend headplays either.
1) +1 on the picture quality. If picture quality isn't important to you there are a lot of goggle choices but to me its one of the most critical factors to enjoying the flight.
2) In the U.S. the pal problem is a non-issue.
3) The plug problem can be fixed if done before problems develop. This is a known problem. Use them without doing anything and chances are the connection will fail. It is just a matter of time.
4) That leaves the big box and there is no way around that but IMO that is a lot less important than picture quality.
May 30, 2010, 11:58 AM
My Karma ran over my Dogma
I have them and love them. Even made my own custom setup as shown here. The only 2 negatives I see is the fragile connector, which I'm going to reinforce, and the length of the cable going to the Liberator unit is short. I think I'm going to mount a metal belt clip to the bottom of the unit so I can just clip it to my belt. Then just use a long RCA cable between the reciever and the Liberator.

I'm in the U.S. so PAL is no problem for me. The video quality is excellent. And with my custom helmet I can still use it for immersive PC gaming.
May 30, 2010, 04:34 PM
They have firmware to work around the PAL issue.

Works for me!

//Matte
May 30, 2010, 06:33 PM
I use Composite-to VGA convertor to avoid PAL issue. Fragile connect is a problem, agree. But HeadPlan has dioptry, IPD correction which no ones has, I tried FatShart but can not use them.
May 30, 2010, 08:09 PM
Thread OP
There is one more issue, when you looking straight in sun with your camera, (that is not avoidable when you fly in sky) the whole screen turns to gray and you will lose picture, it is happening no matter what kind+quality+system camera you are using. its a kind of shock when you're flying, for one moment.

About freezing picture it is happening even in lose of RF signals, no matter PAL or NTSC, at the top of that, you can choose and use NTSC system every where in or out of US, its not concern about public broadcasting, you are transmitting a video for yourself, you can choose either PAL or NTSC.

I said four reasons not to buy it for FPV, notice, I did not said four resons not to use it.

Some dude who already have it (like me) must make it work anyhow, I'm personally trying to bypass that connector and connect the goggles to the Liberator directly and try to find a way to put it on belt or helmet in some way.

But if I am going to buy a video goggles today, after all my experience with them, I will choose a different one.
Last edited by Talajouy; May 30, 2010 at 09:19 PM.
May 30, 2010, 09:13 PM
Headplay goggles are great to fly by

What sucks is that connector that connects the goggles to the " Liberator " box. Mine broke with very little use and they would not fix it Headplay really screwed up on thier design, they should have used a more flexible cable, and had it permanently attached to the " Box ". Who really cares if that cable will unplug from the box or not, the connector is just a HUGE problem with no advantage. It is very poor management that does not realize this is a very real and frequent design problem and change the design immidately.

So they have really good goggles, but poor management unable to address a design problem, I do not hold out much hope for them as a company... I have several 10 year old sets of Sonys goggles where the goggles are on a flexible cable permanently attached to the " Control Box ", they are reliable and perfect !!!

Mike
May 31, 2010, 05:21 AM
Crashomatic
What would be awesome is if it was possible to bypass the liberator.
You know, liberate us from the "liberator".
May 31, 2010, 05:22 AM
Thread OP
I started to fix the connector problem by bypassing it.
Mine problem was when I moved the cable, picture disconnect and to make it work must push and move the connector around and in one point the picture would come back again.
First I tied to fix the connector in there by adding a drop of CA while the picture is right.
First it looked to be Ok but the disconnect happened again, then I opened the Liberator and removed the connector, ohm test the cable to find the wiring layout and now its ready to solder wires directly to the circuit board.
Now its getting dark and I must leave the rest of job for tomorrow because the circuit is so fine and I need day light to do it.
Here is some photo.
May 31, 2010, 06:46 AM
FPV Desert Beta Test Center
Thatís one scary looking connector but your right its the only way to fix it now. Not for the faint of heart though.
Jun 01, 2010, 03:34 AM
At what point do some of these video goggles switch to blue screen?

For example, if your Video telemetry started snowing / lines, but you could still see the picture beneath (and still fly), at this point would the goggles still display the picture, or switch to blue screen?

It would be nice to have a list of the many video goggles available, and what they do and dont do, so we dont make a mistake making a purchase on a particular (not FPV friendly ) product?...

Quick Reply