Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 14, 2018, 07:41 PM
flyin' fool
Something you might want to try is a delta, there's a lot of ideas and designs here in these threads, pushers, pullers and prop in a slot. Personally I prefer a tractor/puller because of it's aerobatic capabilities. You can take any platform and put the motor where you prefer, just keep the CG the same.

The beauty of a modified delta is that it has lots of wing area, can be build light and is the best design for windy days.

Here's a real good platform to start with ................ https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...h-simple-plans
to remove ads between posts
Apr 16, 2018, 10:29 AM
Excellent, Gil. Glad you got something to fly before giving up on this design.

I never asked what the AUW of the 24" version was. I assumed that after your experiments with the small motors BorC gave you, you'd have a good feel for the right weight at that size. Out of interest, what was the RTF weight?

Suggest you also calculate the Cube Wing Loading (google the formula) for both your small and large planes. This will give you good data points for what CWL you are comfortable flying at this stage of your RC journey. CWL is a dimensionless numbers that allows you to compare the wing loading of planes of different sizes and is a good predictor of how a plane will fly. Generally as a beginner you want something below 5 or 6. My guess is your EZfly was even lower. Much above 8 starts to need to fly faster than most beginners or intermediates can manage.
Jun 14, 2018, 08:35 PM
Hey all. I've been out of the scratch built world for some time. I'm blown away that my designs are still getting built. I always loved flying my wings and sadly I recently retired my 36" DS2 wing. Seeing pics of all these DS wings makes me want to do a new build. I think I have 4 motors kicking around in a drawer somewhere

Thanks for keeping the DS 24 alive!
Aug 15, 2018, 10:31 PM

transmitter

How do I program a transmitter for this??
Aug 18, 2018, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by forlack
Hey all. I've been out of the scratch built world for some time. I'm blown away that my designs are still getting built. I always loved flying my wings and sadly I recently retired my 36" DS2 wing. Seeing pics of all these DS wings makes me want to do a new build. I think I have 4 motors kicking around in a drawer somewhere

Thanks for keeping the DS 24 alive!
There is definitely interest. I did a video on the build and flight of your wing last year and it has over 20,000 views!

24" flying wing! the Dead Simple 24 $5 scratch build challenge (5 min 12 sec)
Aug 25, 2018, 04:27 AM

DS Wing 30'' (75 cm)

I built 30 inches DS Wing by increasing the original drawing 123%. It flies well. I published some HD photos, video, and text here: http://ausleuchtung.ch/kfm2/.
Last edited by Alex M.; Aug 26, 2018 at 07:59 AM.
Aug 27, 2018, 08:17 PM
Nice wing!. Your prop choice is interesting How do you land the wing without hurting the prop?
BTW, I use same props on my Orka twin pusher.
Sep 08, 2018, 04:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elewon
Nice wing!. Your prop choice is interesting How do you land the wing without hurting the prop?
BTW, I use same props on my Orka twin pusher.
I have built a new design of DS-30 by now. This time it is a twin engine puller (or a tractor):
KFm2 DIY flying wing, 75 cm DS 30 (0 min 49 sec)

I've made several flights with it already, and there is no problem with propellers at landing so far. The twin engine puller flies much better than a pusher.
Last edited by Alex M.; Sep 08, 2018 at 05:13 AM. Reason: adding images

Quick Reply