24" DS (Dead Simple) Flying Wing - Pics, Video, Plans - Page 5 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 04, 2010, 09:36 PM
Shibbyshwank
I stripped the foam today, but probably won't cut out the pieces until later this weekend. I need to stop by the hobby shop for more glue. I am excited to put my plane together after seeing the success that you are all having with this design!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 06, 2010, 06:37 AM
I'm building one of these now Simple and nice design! The wing tips, what angle should they have? It seems like it's 90 degrees, but I want to be sure.

I like your drawings, no need to print, just draw it straight on the depron I missed some angles, but I calculated them myself.
Jun 06, 2010, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardleopard
I'm building one of these now Simple and nice design! The wing tips, what angle should they have? It seems like it's 90 degrees, but I want to be sure.

I like your drawings, no need to print, just draw it straight on the depron I missed some angles, but I calculated them myself.
Use the sweep distances and then you dont need angles. The winglet dimensions are shown. It is an Isosceles triangle so just draw it as it looks with the right dimensions and the angles will come out fine.

Excited to see the final plane. Good luck.
Jun 06, 2010, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by forlack
Use the sweep distances and then you dont need angles. The winglet dimensions are shown. It is an Isosceles triangle so just draw it as it looks with the right dimensions and the angles will come out fine.

Excited to see the final plane. Good luck.

Thanks, the angle I wanted was the tip vs the wing, when gluing not cutting. I've glued them on 90 degrees now. I'll post some pics when shes done
Jun 06, 2010, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardleopard
Thanks, the angle I wanted was the tip vs the wing, when gluing not cutting. I've glued them on 90 degrees now. I'll post some pics when shes done
Oh ok that makes sense. Looking forward to it.
Jun 06, 2010, 11:16 PM
Got my motor and ESC in the mail yesterday from HobbyKing which I'll be mounting in the next day or so. Waiting on the batteries and power connectors from DX which should come later this week. I better get my wing painted before the stuff shows up or I'll be forced to maiden it bare.
Jun 07, 2010, 03:26 PM
Forlack,

I watched your video in the first post and it looks like you're using push rods thicker than 0.032''.
May I ask what size they are and where did you bought them (also the clevises) ?
I'm also interested in how the clevis attaches to the push rod: could you post a picture of that area ?
Jun 07, 2010, 06:25 PM
Forlack, I am up to mounting the motor on my DS flying wing should have it flying later this week. What are you using for your control throws, I had my son, who knows l lot more about this than I do,look at the plane and he thought about a quarter inch up and down. Does this sound in the ball park? Thanks for sharing the great design.

Rick
Jun 07, 2010, 10:23 PM
Quote:
I watched your video in the first post and it looks like you're using push rods thicker than 0.032''.
May I ask what size they are and where did you bought them (also the clevises) ?
I was using the shaft of construction flags. Like these

The clevises are metal solderable clevises I picked up at the LHS. I would mark the right length and then solder them in place. If you look at the pictures of version 2, I am now using some replacement control rods and nylon clevises that are for a hobbyzone plane. It was like $2 for 4 control rods with clevises at my LHS.

Quote:
Forlack, I am up to mounting the motor on my DS flying wing should have it flying later this week. What are you using for your control throws, I had my son, who knows l lot more about this than I do,look at the plane and he thought about a quarter inch up and down. Does this sound in the ball park? Thanks for sharing the great design.
It depends on how fast you are planning on going. My throws are pretty large, but it got me into some trouble last week. If you have dual rates than that is the way to go. Otherwise start at 0.25 to 0.5" and go from there (if it is easily adjustable) I don't know what mine is exactly but they are close to 45 degrees at full throw.
Jun 07, 2010, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpthompson
Got my motor and ESC in the mail yesterday from HobbyKing which I'll be mounting in the next day or so. Waiting on the batteries and power connectors from DX which should come later this week. I better get my wing painted before the stuff shows up or I'll be forced to maiden it bare.
Did you end up getting the silver wonder or red and blue wonder?
Jun 09, 2010, 12:12 PM
I ended up using the Hextronik 24gram Outrunner 1700kv. The parts arrived yesterday from DX and I completed my version of the wing as pictured below.

The CG as best as I can measure it is at just about 5.75". I don't have many options for moving it forward other than adding some dead weight. BTW, how does one typically measure the CG on these things? I am balancing the wing as best I can across a long thin metal edge and marking where the wing balances nose to tail. Is there a better way?

I guess it is time to maiden it. I'm pretty nervous as this is a big step up from my Hawk Sky in many ways. I've gotten reasonably good with a variety of flying wings in a simulator so hopefully my first few flights won't be frustratingly brief. Regardless, it should be thrilling and fun to see some bits of scrap take flight (hopefully).
Jun 09, 2010, 12:45 PM
Thompson- Looks good. Don't yank the stick around and maybe just put it on low rates for the first flight. Put some color on one side and see what happens. It is pretty cool to see it take off for the first time, but also nerve racking. Look forward to hearing a report.

This is how I measure CG. I mark on the plane 5.5" and 6" from the leading edge. I then ballance it on my fingers and move things that I can forward to get the desired CG. Right now it balances in between the two marks so close to 5.75".

-Chase
Jun 09, 2010, 02:17 PM
I'll let mpthompson give you the flight report himself, but I will say there were a few good laughs

- Jeff
Jun 09, 2010, 03:50 PM
Success!!! Well kinda. It was windy and misty today in the neighborhood park, but I just had to see it in the air. Jeff was kind enough to record the first and second flight which are shown in the video below. It seemed a bit tail heavy to me, but I really have nothing to compare it with and the plane was really light for the wind I was flying it in. Sometimes it felt like I was flying leaf fluttering in the wind -- of course that may have just been the shaking of my hands. I'll try again later this evening or early tomorrow morning when the wind should be negligible.

At least I brought her home in one piece and can now tweak it to death until I'm happy with the way she flies.

Lotsa fun!!! Kudos to Chase for a good design for my first scratch built foamy.

First Flight (4 min 36 sec)
Jun 09, 2010, 05:59 PM
Mike it looks good! That wind looked pretty strong for that little guy. You need to put some ballast on that wing I didn't know how it was going to go and was getting pretty nervous watching. When the wind dies down it will be much more controllable. As well, it is very hard to trim a plane in wind.

I originally put the CG at about 5.5" but wasn't able to get good loops and so moved it back. The high wind can also cause it to be pitch sensitive. Let me know how it goes when the wind dies down.

I just remembered I haven't posted a video of when I nose bombed. I'll see if I can upload that today. I also went flying on saturday with a guy that has an FPV wing. He had never seen a KFm airfoil and after the day he said he was well impressed with the DS wing. His was something like 40" and 20+ oz, but thanks to my 7x6 prop we were going the same speed

Quick Reply