24" DS (Dead Simple) Flying Wing - Pics, Video, Plans - Page 4 - RC Groups
Jun 01, 2010, 02:45 AM
Hey guys I updated the schematics for the Elevons. Mine were rubbing the vertical fin a little bit. Everything else is the same. I also included a pdf of just the elevon. This way you can print out just that part and cut it out. That piece is a little hard to measure out now. You could always do rectangle strips 1.75" x 8", which would be the easiest.

Also does anyone know how to go from a big pdf and tile it??
to remove ads between posts
Jun 01, 2010, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMonkey572
I use .030 pushrods with parkflyer hardware. They're so short and the plane is under so little stress they won't bend.

I use Velcro to attach pretty much everything.
Thanks for the info. May I ask where did you get the 0.03'' pushrods since I can't seem to find any online under 2mm (0.078'') ?
Jun 01, 2010, 04:23 PM
Boooriiiiing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylowfast
Thanks for the info. May I ask where did you get the 0.03'' pushrods since I can't seem to find any online under 2mm (0.078'') ?
Check under piano wire instead of actual pushrods. My local hobby shop sells them in packs of 4 3' lengths.

My apologies, it's actually .032. Sorry about that... here's a Tower Hobbies link:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYML1&P=7

There are links to hardware for it lower on the page.
Last edited by MadMonkey572; Jun 02, 2010 at 03:21 PM.
Jun 02, 2010, 07:21 AM
Thanks, I'll take a look.
Jun 02, 2010, 01:36 PM
One more picture with the servos installed. I also now have the elevon mixing worked out in my transmitter as well. At least at this point she seems like a really solid bird -- I'm kinda surprised.

Now, if the gods that control the shipment of cheap stuff from China will take a liking to me I'll have the batteries, ESC and motor/prop sometime in the next two weeks or so. I wonder if there is an appropriate sacrificial offering to be made that will speed things up?

I can see I really need to build up an inventory of stuff on my shelf that I can build these little scratch built foamies on impulse. Having to wait for orders to be fulfilled sure puts a damper on the immediacy of the fun. However, I guess if I build a half dozen or so of these birds I'll soon have a box of parts I can raid when the feeling moves me.
Jun 02, 2010, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpthompson
One more picture with the servos installed. I also now have the elevon mixing worked out in my transmitter as well. At least at this point she seems like a really solid bird -- I'm kinda surprised.

Now, if the gods that control the shipment of cheap stuff from China will take a liking to me I'll have the batteries, ESC and motor/prop sometime in the next two weeks or so. I wonder if there is an appropriate sacrificial offering to be made that will speed things up?

I can see I really need to build up an inventory of stuff on my shelf that I can build these little scratch built foamies on impulse. Having to wait for orders to be fulfilled sure puts a damper on the immediacy of the fun. However, I guess if I build a half dozen or so of these birds I'll soon have a box of parts I can raid when the feeling moves me.
Looks great, getting anxious?? haha. The maiden of a scratchbuilt always produces some butterflies. My first scratchbuilt foamie was a terrible design that I found online. I think it had a wing loading of 12 or something. My wife launched it and it immediately torque rolled and slammed into the pavement. It was sad! This plane is pretty solid and because it is so light it can take a beating pretty well.

Well I went flying this morning and this plane is too much fun. Monkey I moved my CG back to 5.75". I have a lot better elevator authority, and my outside and inside loops are very clean now. So for anyone that is building one (Just 3 of us now I guess) Start the CG at 5.5 and slowly move back to 6. Stop at what you like the best. 5.75 might be the money spot.

Oh I also put on the new elevons. Figured I better test them out to make sure they weren't bad. The APC 7x5 prop is pretty awesome with my power setup. Almost unlimited vertical on 2s and plenty fast. We'll see what 7x6 produces later this week.

Chase

Thompson what props did you buy? Also make sure you put a big X on the bottom with tape. That will give the wing a lot of strength.
Last edited by forlack; Jun 02, 2010 at 02:36 PM.
Jun 02, 2010, 04:33 PM
I ordered a set of GWS 7x3.5 and two APC style 7x6-E props to try from HobbyKing. I figured the GWS 7x3.5 I saw in your original video looked to work well enough and I couldn't find the APC 7x5 on HobbyKing. I really don't know what I'm doing with regards to props yet so I have a lot to learn. If I can get my first attempt to fly anywhere as good as your original video where I think you used the 7x3.5 I'll be very happy. I'll then start substituting stuff to learn and see what works better or worse for me.

I'm not even sure exactly how these props will be mounted to the motor (which should come with a prop saver). I'll cross that bridge when I see what shows up.
Jun 04, 2010, 01:12 AM
Well Monkey, Thompson I got the new 7x6 props today and I ran a doppler of the data and it was 51mph. Well that is all good and all, but I also discovered what is called an accelerated stall. The control surfaces are pretty large for this speed and in a high speed turn I cranked the elevons and instead of turning it went into a spiral! The wing held up pretty well, but it will need some repairs. So if you are going around those speeds decrease your throw or decrease your elevon size. Scary stuff. The best part is I have it on video! Will post it later...once my pride returns lol.
Jun 04, 2010, 01:39 AM
Boooriiiiing.
I put a 7X5 on mine and it helped performance out.

Unfortunately it also made the motor run a little hotter, which contributed to the hot glue holding it on melting and letting it loose mid-flight, LOL! Happened a couple of days before with my F-22, so I was expecting it.

Finally had a friend cut out about 40 motor mounts for me so I'll slap it back on there... plus the extra weight should move the CG back to where it should be. No damage to the plane except a nick from the prop
Jun 04, 2010, 04:37 PM
They are pretty durable wings ay. Just watch the throws on high speed turns. Guys I have included tiled plans on post 1. I used them to repair my wing and they speed up the process. Enjoy.
Jun 04, 2010, 05:21 PM
Repair? You mean these RC thingees break? :-)

What appealed to me about your design is that it was simple enough to draw directly on the foam board and make straight cuts with a long straight edge and a blade. Perfect for my first venture in scratchbuilt foamies. However, the tiled plans are appreciated. Just hope I don't need them.
Jun 04, 2010, 05:41 PM
Boooriiiiing.
I didn't use plans at all, just measured also. I liked that (I hate printing, cutting, taping, etc).
Jun 04, 2010, 06:15 PM
Ya I like to just measure it out as well, but I figured why not. Might as well make it complete. I'll be flying tomorrow and getting some new vids...hopefully no crashes
Jun 04, 2010, 07:32 PM
Shibbyshwank
I got some foam today from Dollar Tree. Removing the paper has never been easier!!! I will never buy high-quality foam board again, even if it is convenient to pick one up at the regular store. What took me hours the first time took me a matter of minutes. Thanks for the tips guys.
Jun 04, 2010, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibbyshwank
I got some foam today from Dollar Tree. Removing the paper has never been easier!!! I will never buy high-quality foam board again, even if it is convenient to pick one up at the regular store. What took me hours the first time took me a matter of minutes. Thanks for the tips guys.
Charles when are you building it?

I just flew again (Dont worry guys I start working 40 hour weeks at the end of this month) and I was careful on the stick and it flew super smooth. After I landed a guy came up and asked what kind of gas it took! Fun stuff.

Quick Reply