24" DS (Dead Simple) Flying Wing - Pics, Video, Plans - Page 3 - RC Groups
May 31, 2010, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpthompson
forlack, I found the motor on HK, but can you tell me what specific ESC and batteries your are using (ie, the C rating and weight)? I'll eventually learn this stuff for myself, but for now it would be best to just copy something that is already working.

I'll post some pics of my own buildup soon.
Sure. HXT 24g 1700kv Motor (Hobby King has another motor that is the same deal just better. They call it the red and blue wonder. turnigy 2730-1700

ESC: Turnigy 10AMP Plush (It has had some negative reviews recently I wonder if they have had a bad batch or if people are over doing them, mine has worked fine)

Battery: 900mAH 2S 20C (Mine is a mystery from deal extreme. HK was out of stock)

Prop: 7x3.5, If you are ordering form HK I would get what Ken suggested, GWS 7060SF 6 Pack.

Servos: HXT500

Have fun
to remove ads between posts
May 31, 2010, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggit
in regard to WD40 i dont think it leaves much of a residue, it mainly stays on the paper, and it dissolves the glue so the paper just peels right off, and i spoke to an old timer engineer and he says they use to use it as a hand cleaner, and it is suppose to keep your skin soft, so if any residue left, it wont harm you or the foam
carl
Thats interesting. I have used WD to remove some grease from my hands and they did feel nice. The nice thing about LA Totally Awesome is that you dont have to go outside to use it, but there are many ways to skin a cat.
May 31, 2010, 02:34 PM
hi forlack, i use WD40 because in the UK we dont have that LA awesome, and didnt want to waste loads of foamboard looking for the equivalent to LA, so for me WD is ideal, i get to scratchbuild and have supersoft hands
carl
May 31, 2010, 03:30 PM
forlack, MadMonkey572,

What kind of pushrods are you using and where did you get them ? I am asking since I can't find any thin pushrods anywhere (the only ones I can find are at leat 2mm thick).
Also, how did you attach the battery to the wing (and the ESC and receiver) ?
May 31, 2010, 03:43 PM
Great. DX is one of my favorite places to order from even if the shipping is sometimes slow. Too bad they don't sell stuff like linkages and things.

One final question. Did you just use velcro to attach the battery to the wing?

BTW, if you haven't purchased one already, the Mystery 11.1V 2200mAh LiPo for the Futaba Transmitters available on DX is a great addition to the HK-T6A transmitter. It fits perfectly in the battery compartment.
May 31, 2010, 05:32 PM
Boooriiiiing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylowfast
forlack, MadMonkey572,

What kind of pushrods are you using and where did you get them ? I am asking since I can't find any thin pushrods anywhere (the only ones I can find are at leat 2mm thick).
Also, how did you attach the battery to the wing (and the ESC and receiver) ?
I use .030 pushrods with parkflyer hardware. They're so short and the plane is under so little stress they won't bend.

I use Velcro to attach pretty much everything.
May 31, 2010, 08:10 PM
John 3:16
This looks almost identical to my 24" expansion of Bob Skinner's David Wing - located here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1173701 . My 24" version is on post #31 and #32. Great minds must think alike! Congratulations on a great wing. My David Wing is one of my favorite planes right now. I'm sure this one is great also!
Daddy-O
May 31, 2010, 09:18 PM
That looks great Daddy-O. It is fun building these KFm foamies.

Well I built version 2 today, and took a little more time on it, but I maidened it. It flew fantastic! A little trimming and I was flying. CG was at 5.5" My wife said she would film it after it proved itself, haha. Anyways I picked up an APC-e 7x5 prop while I was at the hobby shop and it was much better. I'll see if there is much of a difference when my 7x6's show up. The plane flew like it was on rails. High speed dives were controlled, rolls were rapid. It was a blast. I'll get a video of it tomorrow.

A little build advice. I made the motor mount out of 4 2"x2" squares. It seems more solid. 2 on top and 2 on the bottom. Also the elevons should be offset about 1/4" from the vertical fins to prevent rubbing. I had to cut mine as an after thought. I also ran out of my extreme strapping tape so I used some heavy duty packing tape that lacked fibers. It seemed to work pretty well. The wing seems very stiff. (someone should do a real world comparison) Velcro holds down everything. I had to rough up the tape a little with sand paper to make the pads hold better.

Enjoy the pics
May 31, 2010, 10:34 PM
Boooriiiiing.
I flew mine with 1300's moved slightly back a couple of times today. Still loving it! I'm also switching to an APC 7X5 which I think would be ideal. The 6X4 I'm running right now is keeping the motor, ESC and battery cool to the touch even after flying wide open for 5+ minutes

Once I pick up more foamboard tomorrow I'll start on a larger version. I have about 8-9 orders for F-22 parkjets I have to fill first though The perils of showing off fun planes.... LOL!
May 31, 2010, 10:52 PM
OK, as this is my first foamie it's taking me a bit longer than the you guys, but I think I've now got it ready to add the servos, Rx, motor, ESC and battery. Unfortunately, I don't have these parts at hand so I'll probably disappear for the two weeks while I'm waiting to get them. However, I'll be back.

This is really going to be exciting to fly. I imagine it will be quite a change from my docile Hawk Sky.

While I'm waiting I would like to add contrasting colors to help with orientation. What types of paints can I use on $Tree foam?
May 31, 2010, 11:11 PM
Boooriiiiing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpthompson
While I'm waiting I would like to add contrasting colors to help with orientation. What types of paints can I use on $Tree foam?
I've used just about every type of spraypaint from Wal Mart, but my foam still has the paper on it. The key is to spray very light multiple coats instead of 1-2 heavy ones (which will soak and wrinkle the paper).

Since yours looks like it has the paper removed... I'm not sure which will work, but I've had good results with Testors paint on other foams (test it first though!).
May 31, 2010, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMonkey572
I flew mine with 1300's moved slightly back a couple of times today. Still loving it! I'm also switching to an APC 7X5 which I think would be ideal. The 6X4 I'm running right now is keeping the motor, ESC and battery cool to the touch even after flying wide open for 5+ minutes

Once I pick up more foamboard tomorrow I'll start on a larger version. I have about 8-9 orders for F-22 parkjets I have to fill first though The perils of showing off fun planes.... LOL!
LOL thats great. I wish there was some more daylight here so I could fly it again. The APC 7x5 was really nice. Almost unlimited vertical and it was fast. The APC 7x6 is suppose to have a pitch speed of 50mph with my motor so it should be exciting.

You need to get a video of your current one and definitely the larger one, when you build it. It was calm tonight and it flew so stable. I need to get one of those pocket cameras on it to see how smooth it rides up there.

I'll have another video tomorrow morning

Thompson- Looks good. I used acrylic craft paint from walmart ($1). Get the non glossy, which is the most popular. If you want a gloss on it, coat it with polycrylic water based. Hope to see it in a couple of weeks.
May 31, 2010, 11:45 PM
I went and used my neighbors scale and my AUW is 172g or 6.1oz. The cool thing is, I predicted the weight to be 176g. So that is pretty close.

Madmonkey- Are you going to use fan fold foam for the large one, or foam board?
May 31, 2010, 11:48 PM
Boooriiiiing.
I'll try to remember to put my keychain camera on it next time I fly (probably Wednesday depending on the weather). It looks smooth from where I'm standing though

The larger one should be ridiculous... I'm going to use my standard parkjet motor, which will push my Easy Star straight up on a 3S 2200 and will carry my 14-15oz parkjets straight out of your hand without a push with unlimited vertical. That kind of power might make it suitable for a lightweight FPV setup... hmm....
May 31, 2010, 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMonkey572
I'll try to remember to put my keychain camera on it next time I fly (probably Wednesday depending on the weather). It looks smooth from where I'm standing though

The larger one should be ridiculous... I'm going to use my standard parkjet motor, which will push my Easy Star straight up on a 3S 2200 and will carry my 14-15oz parkjets straight out of your hand without a push with unlimited vertical. That kind of power might make it suitable for a lightweight FPV setup... hmm....
Sounds awesome. I need a larger power setup so I can build some big fast wings! Look forward to the video.

Chase

Quick Reply