This thread is privately moderated by ergocentric, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 28, 2010, 08:49 AM
Aircraft re-kitter
Data

Replace burnt regulator Turnigy 9X Transmitter

3s LiPo was a bit too much for this one; now it has a big old linear voltage regulator in it.

I like to fix things. Sometimes even when they don't need fixing.

If or when I buy one it will get a 2s LiIon or 2s LiFe pack per Xjet.

http://tinyurl.com/2cell-mod

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2#post14872793

Manual here stick mode swap is possible here.

Buy here: Mode 1 or Mode 2 -> I get points, thanks.
Last edited by ergocentric; Jan 05, 2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: add photos
to remove ads between posts
Jul 18, 2010, 05:08 AM

Looking at upgrading to the Turnigy

Thanks for adding your T6 palmpilot link om my blog.

I am looking at upgrading to the V2 of the 9X Tx'r (now with the HK Tx module built in and $9 HK Rx's). V2 has freq hoping and only one antenna, waiting to see more reviews on the range of the Rx's.

What is your impresion of the 9X Tx'r ?

cheers
Rick
Nov 02, 2010, 09:02 PM
Hi all, my uncle bought a V2, but his son burn it as soon as he touch the radio!
Now I have to fix it. Would you tell me what's the big yellow component (I think this is a diode) right down the 78L05 (I will change this one)?

Thx
Nov 02, 2010, 09:05 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
The "big yellow" parts are capacitors.
Can you take a picture of your board showing the bad parts?

Pat MacKenzie
Nov 05, 2010, 02:32 PM
Hi,
I just bought 2500 LiPo transmitter pack for using in my Turnigy 9x V2. After charging it was 12.4V. When I plugged the pack to the transmitter and turned on the TX, I heard a small explosion and smelled burnt electronic part. I was really taking care not to connect the battery in wrong polarity so I am not sure why it did explode....

However, after I stopped swearing, I did it again - I thought it's burnt anyway - but this time TX worked. I even went out and flew with it to check it works properly.

Anyway, I looked inside and there is one part burnt - as you can see on the image.

Do you think I should replace it? Can you advise me what actually happened? I am a bit afraid that even though it's working now, it can fail anytime when I fly my plane...
Nov 05, 2010, 08:01 PM
I would replace it.
That is the input capacitor to the voltage regulator. On mine it is marked 226C which would mean 22 uF 16 volts.
Now 16 volts is more than 12.4 , but standard practise is to have a 50% voltage margin for tantalums. So replace it with a 25 volt part to use 3S Lipo.

Without it the regulator will still function, but stability is usually better with it in the circuit.

Pat MacKenzie
Nov 07, 2010, 10:21 AM
Thank you for your reply! I'll try to replace it. It is a SMD part. Is it soldered from bottom side? I guess I need to unscrew the board and solder it from bottom side. Any advises appreciated.

Alek
Nov 07, 2010, 10:25 AM
No it is soldered from the top side.
With a small soldering iron heat one end then the other and it should pop off.
Hold the new one in place with tweezers and use the iron and thin solder to put the new one back.

Not too hard once you get the hang of it and big parts like that cap are fairly easy.

This might help, lots more examples on line

http://store.curiousinventor.com/gui...Soldering/101/

Pat MacKenzie
Nov 07, 2010, 11:10 AM
Fantastic! Thanks a lot!
Dec 06, 2010, 11:03 PM
Techno-geek of DOOM!!
hey just did something similar to my 9x and also blew this part where might i get one of these caps? preferably the stock voltage as i only use nimh in my TXs right now

edit:

Nevermind i found a place called Jan's Electronics that has all sorts of components
Last edited by Mechcondrid; Dec 18, 2010 at 11:16 AM.
Dec 21, 2010, 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie
I would replace it.
That is the input capacitor to the voltage regulator. On mine it is marked 226C which would mean 22 uF 16 volts.
Now 16 volts is more than 12.4 , but standard practise is to have a 50% voltage margin for tantalums. So replace it with a 25 volt part to use 3S Lipo.

Without it the regulator will still function, but stability is usually better with it in the circuit.

Pat MacKenzie
Thanks for all that.. Mine just smoked and never got going.. the Tx came with the power button on.. I had assumed I'd forced the battery plug into the socket, backwards ( since the socket is rather flexible) but after reading this thread i thought i would put it back together and try to power it up, as the other person said, worked. First up I found that the socket has negative rails at either side and positive in the centre.. therefor even if I had wrongfully inserted the plug ( hard to recall with that SMELL and a fast yank away..) it could not have mattered.. As I used 8 AA nimh batteries in the supplied holder I can only assume the unit was faulty.
Anyway, it didnt power up so I guess I need to replace the capacitor as it is clearly burnt.. Mine is black in colour but I'm sure it's the same.
It's virtually the same as the others except theirs are yellow, mine black. )
Since mine doesn't power up at all might there be more damage than that cap since you say it doesnt stop the regulator from functioning ?
Last edited by Kernel deBugger; Dec 21, 2010 at 02:00 AM. Reason: photo too small
Dec 24, 2010, 02:09 PM
Hi. I bought a Fly Sky TH9X transmitter 3 months ago. Firstly I used 8x 1,5 V Bateries ( AA) and it warked normal.
I had a 3S LiPo Battery of 11.1V for Walkera transmitter and I wanted to use it for my FS TH9X transmitter but..
When I connected it started to burn.
Now I use a normal 1,5 AA batteries but it doesnt work.
My question is: is it possible to repair the transmitter? And which part must I replace?
And if the answer is positive, please say me when can I find burnt components from for replacing?
Thank you and Merry Christmas.
Dec 24, 2010, 04:48 PM
I just opened the transmitter carefully and I checked out all parts...
I know that Fly Sky and Turnigy 9ch models are the same, with diferent names, so I compared the inside of my transmitter with those pictures.
In the place of "yellow components (capacitors) " I see the same J476 components (you can see them in alek3d's and Kernel deBugger's pics. And I think that the only component I have burnt is the same like alek3d's one ( I hope so). Comparing this component with the component of the same place of ergocentri'c pics, I think that it must be a capacitor or something like that + other component.
Can someone tell me what kind of component is it and can i buy it? I think alek3d or Kernel could help me cause they had the same problem.
Dec 24, 2010, 05:00 PM
Hopefully they will come back and confirm that changing the capacitor solved the problem.

Pat MacKenzie
Dec 28, 2010, 05:35 AM
I have a question:
Could you say me the specifications of the capacitor?
Is it a 22microFarads 16 Volts capacitor?
And can i Replace it with the other capacitor, with diferent diemnsions or type? (like cilindric ) .
thanks

Quick Reply