Jun 17, 2010, 12:33 AM
Furious Predator
It is coming along, but slowly. I wrote off my 90 Predator a couple months ago, so between my inability to get rich, and that i now have two helicopters to build, funds are a bit tight

but i spent most of the day working on both my Swift NX, and rebuilding the Predator 90.

Next year i hope to get a Predator Gasser.

I took the stock head off the 550 NX to start prepping it for when i can buy the metal swift FBL head. I upgraded the tail to the steel hub and triple bearing tail grips.

Someone mentioned about posting build pics, so this is what i have come up with thus far.

The hyperion servos only took 4 days to get in...including the weekend!
Last edited by Furious Pred.; Jun 17, 2010 at 12:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 17, 2010, 07:58 AM
Looking good, man! I ran across this video of an NX doing some nice smooth 3D. Looks like a good flying bird (especially for the price):

Century Swift NX 3D Flight Stock Setup (2 min 50 sec)
Jun 18, 2010, 08:51 PM
FG
FG

swift NX

I just saw this heli on Centurys site and I love the 12 cell Nimh option. I'm not particularly fond of Lipo's never have been since their inception, due in part to the balancing thing and complexity of having to monitor lipos charging etc etc. You know what I mean. I can get 12 cell custom made battery's from cheapbatterypacks.com that will work fine with this heli. My main concern is the weight issue though...? But if it says it can do it then I think I have a winter project. I just bought this right now to up the ante as my skills warranted this purchase for the summer.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1253845

douglas
Jun 18, 2010, 09:21 PM
Furious Predator
since your are not fond of lipos, have you considered the A123?

they weigh more like the nicads due to the metal case, but they can take much more abuse, and are more safe in general then lipo's.

either way, you will need a beefy power supply to pump out the watts. But the A123's are not too picky on balancing. Once in a while they need to be balanced, but not on every charge like a normal lipo.

A friend of mine has the A123 setup on his trex 600. it weighs more then a heli with lipo's, but it has insane power. his charging technique is to connect them directly to a power supply. the limit on how fast he can charge them at the field is the limit of how much the generator can haul @$$. generally 15 minutes, but 10 minutes on a home outlet.

so, insane power, no balancing, fast charging, and they will last way longer. if you dont mind a bit more weight, then this would be the way to go. You can also get custom packs made to suit your heli.
Jun 18, 2010, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious Pred.
since your are not fond of lipos, have you considered the A123?
I flew my Swift 16 for over a year on 10S A123 packs. Good power, durable cells and great for sport flying.

Douglas, I don't think you'd be happy at all with the Swift on NiMH cells. A 12 cell NiMH is the same voltage as a 4S lipo, but in order to get decent flight times (4-5 minutes) you'd need 4000-5000mah cells. That would be a heavy pack (800+ grams). Heavier in fact than my 10S A123 packs (775g). For comparison, a 4S lipo is about 490g.

Additionally, the new NX has a battery tray designed for lipos. I think only the older Swift 16 could be fitted with NiMH cells without modification...I'm not sure why they list that as an option on the NX specs. I suspect it's just a "copy/paste" from the Swift 16 specifications!

All that said, there's nothing inherently evil about lipos. With common sense and reasonable care they work fine and won't burst into flames without provocation. I used to feel as you do (hence my A123 setups in more than one toy) but I've slowly been changing over to lipos as prices come down and chargers get better. I always charge in a Lipo Sack, and I never leave them charging without being nearby. Funny thing is, in 30 years of this hobby the only battery incident I've ever had while charging was with a nicad that blew up! Go figure.

-Chris
Jun 19, 2010, 09:39 AM
IF you do use A123's do not use the nominal 3.3 V per cell to calculate for the pinion required for the desired rotor speed, because with the current demands of this size a heli the voltage during flight will be about 2.8 volts rather then 3.3.

There were a number of graphs showing this in some of the threads in the Swift 16 threads.

ALso be sure to use at least good 20C lipos (30 C+ is even better) to get the full potential of this heli.

Furious Pred - thanks for the great pictorial.

hanks for the video Chris. Do you know what battery packs were used in it??
Last edited by Cyclick; Jun 19, 2010 at 09:45 AM.
Jun 19, 2010, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclick
thanks for the video Chris. Do you know what battery packs were used in it??
According to the review notes at RC Heli Resource, they were 6S 5000 packs. There is something wrong with his setup though (probably the gearing) since he reported using 3000 mah in a 4 minute flight! That's WAY more current than it should be using for that relatively sedate flying. He noted he was using the 1100kv motor with an 11T pinion (and suggested using a 12T ?!?) so I think it's over-geared and over-amped.

-Chris
Jun 19, 2010, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris
According to the review notes at RC Heli Resource, they were 6S 5000 packs. There is something wrong with his setup though (probably the gearing) since he reported using 3000 mah in a 4 minute flight! That's WAY more current than it should be using for that relatively sedate flying. He noted he was using the 1100kv motor with an 11T pinion (and suggested using a 12T ?!?) so I think it's over-geared and over-amped.

-Chris
I am flying with 4S 5000 packs with the same motor and an 11T pinion. I can't imagine using a 11 or 12T with 6S. He said he was at 2100 rpm. That should be more like 2400. Mine is about 1650. I flew about 7 minutes today on the first pack (timer at 6:00) and the pack was at 15.20 volts when I put it on the charger a few minutes ago.
Jun 19, 2010, 09:07 PM
FG
FG

a123

I guess A123 its gonna be then. I have heard about them. I'll have to do some research on them.

doug
Jun 19, 2010, 09:21 PM
Bush Pilots Bounce Higher
I was kind of disappointed when i found out it was still belt driven instead of shaft driven...
Jun 19, 2010, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas4
I guess A123 its gonna be then. I have heard about them. I'll have to do some research on them.
There was quite a bit of chatter about them in my old Swift thread(s): https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880848
You may have a hard time finding the cells now, since Dewalt stopped using them in tool packs. You'll also end up spending more money than you will on a lipo setup because you'll need a 10S A123-compatible charger and a high voltage ESC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidious
I was kind of disappointed when i found out it was still belt driven instead of shaft driven...
I'm not convinced shaft drives are any better than belt. I've owned them (still have one) and honestly I prefer belts. They are easier to set up, more durable, and easier to fix after an oopsie. IMO all the hoopla about shaft drive is driven (pun intended) by a few manufacturers and professional pilots. 99% of us don't need that last 1% of performance. I know I don't.

-Chris
Jun 19, 2010, 10:51 PM
Helis Fall With Grace & Style
Thread OP
Li-PO's are definitely the way to Go IMHO for the best Flight Time, Performance and Weight.

NiMH for this heli is definitely a no go.

Is anyone out there even running NiMH anymore on their helis?

Listen to these guys on RC Groups and they'll steer you in the right direction.

I recommend the Hyperion 6s 4000mah Li-PO. Head on over to Chris's site at www.InsideHeli.com and snag a 10% discount code for my site to save some moola on the li-po and make sure to head over to my site and sign up for my newsletter and get some free money to help you out on your purchase as well.

http://Store.RcSuperSales.net

Good Luck Dude!

Kyle
Jun 19, 2010, 10:55 PM
Helis Fall With Grace & Style
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPlaneChris
I'm not convinced shaft drives are any better than belt. I've owned them (still have one) and honestly I prefer belts. They are easier to set up, more durable, and easier to fix after an oopsie. IMO all the hoopla about shaft drive is driven (pun intended) by a few manufacturers and professional pilots. 99% of us don't need that last 1% of performance. I know I don't.

-Chris
Definitely Hoopla Chris ;-) You know how people get...

Oh BY Damn this is the Best Thing EVER!

Belt is perfect for Basically Everyone as you stated.

The one nice thing about Shaft Driven is you don't have to mess around with belt tension :-)

Kyle
Jun 20, 2010, 04:23 AM
Furious Predator
messing with belt tension is the main kicker for me on belts....even more so being in canada, where your boom shrinks, and so does the heli's in the winter.

i also like having the noticeably less drag / more efficiency with torque tube. This comes into play with the endless auto's i do.

I have also generally had WAY more trouble with a belt then tube. Belt tension being one, losing teeth being the other, or just plain old wearing them out. mean while, with a torque tube, the only time i have had to play with it after installing it, is to put it into a new boom after a crash.

Out of about 6 crashes on my 50, only one was bad enough to replace the tube. even on my 90, two of three crashes, the tube survived. but this also has a lot to do with how century designed the tube as well. the boom can bend and twist, but the tube inside wont.

But I am interested in seeing how well the belt performs on the swift. it is my first belt driven century machine.
Jun 22, 2010, 12:48 PM
I agree, I prefer a well designed torque tube drive over a belt drive. But belt drive systems are much more forgiving when one lands a bit hard, resulting in the tail rotor hitting the ground.

Like most all other helis that use 520mm to 560mm blades, the Swift is obviously going to be purchased by far more sport pilots and novices who may well bounce a few more landings then the more experienced hot pilots, so for them, the belt will be fine.

Also to consider is that a good torque tube system costs more to manufacture, so that would raise the price of the heli a fair bit.

If Century do come out with a shaft drive version or upgrade, I will probably not change my Swift NX to it, but I will certainly change out my bigger 10S powered and Swift 620SE that is using the RT620 blades. This thing outperforms my nitro 90!!!

Quick Reply