May 25, 2010, 08:13 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Parkzone Corsair: Maiden flight, first aileron plane...

Well I finally got a Parkzone Corsair, and finally got to maiden it (after waiting another week to replace a faulty from the box elevator servo).

The good: This plane ROCKS! Plenty of power, good flight manners (once I got it trimmed), loads more fun than my Mini Super Cub. Doing barrel rolls and loops without having to dive for speed was AWESOME. Looks fabulous in the air, had a big grin on my face when she went airborne.

The bad: Battery life. I am not sure I was in the air 5 minutes even, wasn't expecting it to fly for so little time (stock battery). The faulty from the box servo that had to be replaced. I also need to re-check my setup because she wanted to nose dive at neutral stick, that was hard to deal with.

The Ugly: Crashed on landing because I wasn't prepared for the battery to run out and didn't have enough altitude. She cartwheeled wing down into the grass. Wing torn a bit, very end of the fuselage broke. Motor might be broke =(

Questions: I took the cowl off because the prop seemed awefully close to the cowl on one side. On one edge of the motor, it is close, but doesn't touch, on the other side there is a gap between the free spinning part of the motor, and the part that attaches to the motor mount. Does this mean it is bent or is it supposed to be like this? If it is bent I'm sort of angry. My super cub went nose first from 70 feet and barely bent the prop shaft. This one cartwheeled wing first from less than 10. I expected the foam to be hurt, but not the motor.

Is there a good way to at least check the elevator on the ground to make sure it isn't pitching down so hard at neutral stick? I had to use the trim a LOT to keep that from happening and felt a little much.

Thanks guys~! Overall great aircraft, can't wait to fly it again (provided I don't have to replace the motor =( )
to remove ads between posts
May 25, 2010, 08:39 PM
RC Adddict
corsair motor should be down and to the right when looking at it from the pilots seat . This is normal and does look excessive when you first see it
May 25, 2010, 08:43 PM
RC Adddict
heres a good battery upgrade states side http://www.hobbypartz.com/83p-2200mah-3s1p-111-30c.html or here from china http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7641 both will give more power and longer flight times
May 25, 2010, 08:55 PM
Thread OP
I have some of the Blue LiPos, but I didn't know the connectors were different, so I'm waiting on them. Here are some pics to show what I was meaning. Sorry about the so-so picture quality. This is what I was meaning. Is this normal? I hope so....
May 25, 2010, 09:27 PM
RC Adddict
okay i thought you meant the angle of motor to fuselage sorry .. You have bent the shaft on that motor it is replacable . heres a link to one at horizon http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ4418

It is not terribly difficult to replace

Chris
May 25, 2010, 09:32 PM
RC Adddict
Im a little suprised that the shaft bent and the motor mount didnt break . I have crashed mine really hard a bunch and only bent the end of the shaft once . usually just bust up the mount and the cowl . With the bend being that far back on the shaft if the motor doesnt rub and runs true you may get away with running it like that or pull the shaft and straighten it . Ive actually straightened the front of the shaft on mine where the prop adapter sits and its still going strong
May 25, 2010, 09:44 PM
Thread OP
Just popped open the motor, and the motor shaft is true. Perfectly straight. I am even more confusd now... The crash wasn't hard at all, it was wing down from less than 10 feet. The foam was barely damaged, which is why I'm a little perterbed that anything went wrong with the motor. It could just be my eyes playing tricks on me. The magnet ring doesn't sit flush with the coils, but the shaft is perfectly straight, bearings spin freely. ????
May 25, 2010, 10:14 PM
Thread OP
Update: Found out why. The mount that the coils attach to (the base of the motor) appears to be either coming out or not set flush. Is is supposed to be like this? I just tried vice grips and C-clamps to put it back flush and it isn't budging. I don't want to use anything with more pressure for fear of damaging the bearings and coils. Anyone able to shed any light on this?

Problem solved, reset the bearing to be flush with a bigger C clamp. Put everything back together, runs fine at full throttle (no grinding or anything to indicate a problem). Hope I don't have to do that again. Hope all I have to do now is enjoy the flying =)
Last edited by csbassplayer; May 25, 2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Fixed
May 26, 2010, 02:39 AM
Retired
csbassplayer, good troubleshooting!
May 26, 2010, 07:48 AM
Defender of the park sky
+1 for the good troubleshooting.
Out of the box, remember to set the aileron, rudder and elevator control horns with the battery plugged in, throttle off. Turn as needed and attach to get all control surfaces neutral. This way you shouldn't need any trim what-so-ever in the air. Also make sure the trims are all neutral on your transmitter while doing this.
After several flights you may have to repeat this process on a control surface. I think its better than using trim on the TX.

Strange you corsair like to nose dive, mine is the opposite under power. At WOT, mine likes to climb. Maybe with the motor straightened out that trait will go away.
May 26, 2010, 09:16 AM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
If you damage your motor in such a manner that this kind of damage is done to the base of the motor, I would recommend you also take a closer look at the outer housing made of plastic that holds the grub screws to secure the prop shaft. This plastic part tends to brake fairly easy.

Try to position the motor with the end facing up and the open end facing down and using a socket drive that big enough to cover the entire bearing assembly , gently hammer tap the socket drive to tap in the bearing back into its proper seating position.

If all fails you may need to replace the motor with either a stock replacement or similar or upgrade now since you need to replace it.

Quick Reply