May 25, 2010, 07:19 PM
Always optimistic
Thread OP
Discussion

VQ Models 107" Pilatus Porter Jump Plane

I picked up one of the 107" PC-6's from VQWarbirds.com along with an ihl-junior RC skydiver and thought I'd share my conversion to electric jump plane.

Here's the info on the Porter from VQWarbirds https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1204030

The plane is super simple to assemble. Within a couple of hrs I had it on the gear and the vertical and horizontal stabs installed. The wings should take about 2 hrs to install aileron and flap servos. I'll cover that along with the motor and batt installation later on. First thing I was focused on was to get one of the sliding doors functioning to be able to drop the skydiver from inside.

I accomplished the sliding door operation today using a $14 EXI 120G winch servo from Hobbypartz. Works like a charm. My plan is to simply bank the plane and let the diver free fall.

Video posted at https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post15171640

Pics of the full size Porter "Tigro" at Skydive Marche are at http://www.skydivemarche.com/en/pilatus-tigro.php

More to come...
Last edited by foxflier; May 25, 2010 at 07:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 27, 2010, 10:08 AM
Cool project!

I'll bet you could even rig a long arm on a servo that would kick the diver out the door in a more scale-like manner while in slow level flight. Or maybe a rubber band looped behind him that could be released by a very small servo, that would launch him out the door?

Seems a shame, after going to the difficulty of rigging the scale sliding door to not be able to launch the diver in a more scale fashion. Also, you may have to do a kind of slip, or knife-edge to get him to come out, since in a normal bank he will just sit there as in a balanced bank, centrifugal force will pull him straight towards the floor.

Best wishes, and I'll be watching this one!

AmpAce
May 27, 2010, 03:14 PM
Always optimistic
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmpAce
Cool project!

Also, you may have to do a kind of slip, or knife-edge to get him to come out, since in a normal bank he will just sit there as in a balanced bank, centrifugal force will pull him straight towards the floor.

AmpAce
I've thought about that too. I would like to have him "jump". Just depends on whether I can come up with a simple system. I plan to fab sort of a semi-box tray that will velcro attach on top the jumpseats for the diver to lay in up to about his armpits to help guide him straight out the door. I'm pretty sure that a 30 deg roll with a little top rudder and he'll fall right out. If not, as you describe I can always resort to a "pusher" in the tray actuated when the door slides fully open. I like to try the simplest solution first tho
May 28, 2010, 03:00 PM
Cool project. The porter was unique since it had a big door on the right side vice the left side like the twin otter, Beech and Mr Douglas DC3. If you can have the jumper climb out that would be the best. It would be so scale to see the jumpers on the side before freefall. We'd all climb out and the view over the wing was great.
May 29, 2010, 11:45 AM
Always optimistic
Thread OP
The diver now dives....

Rigged the holding tray to 'help' him out the side of the plane. No rolling needed now

Some video at: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...71&postcount=8

I hate using servo reversers so the third pic is the rework required on a Towerpro SG-5010 to reverse its rotation for the flaps... then I looked at the wings and found VQ sets the flap servos so that reverse isn't needed. Oh well, now I have a spare reverse rotation servo
Last edited by foxflier; Jul 12, 2010 at 09:13 AM.
Jun 01, 2010, 08:34 PM
Very cool! Now for some video of a real diver drop from the air??

AmpAce
Jun 01, 2010, 08:51 PM
Watts up ?
So super cool ! Are you going to use the RCskydivers so your buddy can fly it down ?
Jun 02, 2010, 09:19 AM
Always optimistic
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingWing
So super cool ! Are you going to use the RCskydivers so your buddy can fly it down ?

Yep, the IHL-junior pictured above is fully controllable including freefall deployment. It's actually a nice little skydiver. Even has a locator beeper integrated to help find him if he gets lost.

http://www.modellbau-cleeberg.de/sho...7ca2e3543e0d3e
Jun 02, 2010, 09:23 AM
Always optimistic
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmpAce
Very cool! Now for some video of a real diver drop from the air??

AmpAce
Soon!
Jun 02, 2010, 10:00 AM
Still waitin' for an RC version of this stunt...
Plane to Plane Skydive! (0 min 59 sec)
Jun 02, 2010, 09:49 PM
Always optimistic
Thread OP
I'm gonna try to at least get a pic of the Porter diving behind the skydiver

I can get him out but getting him back in would be a real achievement!
Jun 10, 2010, 12:46 AM
Watts up ?
THATS INCREADABLE !!!!!!!!!!!!! How does he not exceed vne ?
Jun 10, 2010, 07:42 AM
Vice President at MultiGP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingWing
THATS INCREADABLE !!!!!!!!!!!!! How does he not exceed vne ?
The plane they jumped to was using a drogue chute.
Jun 10, 2010, 09:10 PM
Always optimistic
Thread OP
Was it a drogue or just beta pitch?

Seems I recall flat pitch being useable in the air for one version of the Porter which would allow vertical descents...
Jun 10, 2010, 10:25 PM
Dunno if the Porter used a drogue, but this ol' Cessna did..

Plane to Plane Skydive by Joe Jennings (3 min 33 sec)

Quick Reply