May 25, 2010, 05:33 AM
FlyLikeAnEagle-LandLikeADove
Thread OP
Build Log

Wild Fred LamYak with Removeable Wing Build

Well, I just couldn't resist. Fresh off an EE60 build, I decided I wanted to try a LamYak. The LamYak is a fairly new kit build 40 size 3D profile. You can see it and read about it here: http://www.3dplanekits.com/

It has a different wing profile than most planes, with the maximum rib thickness approximately at the center of the rib rather than at the more typical 1/3 chord. The claim is that the Wild Fred LamYak is even better than the typical Slab at High Alpha.

Since this is pretty much my favorite type of flying, I figured I would give the LamYak a try. Well, and because I am an obsessive, compulsive, collector/hoarder when it comes to these planes.

Now I almost decided not to get the LamYak because it does not have a removeable wing. A few days ago my Slab Bro Wardo from across the River in Vermont augered in a glued in wing profile. He emailed me and said he would never build another profile without a removeable wing. I agreed, having struggled repairing slabs with glued in wings before. Then, the very next day I trashed my very favorite plane, a Primo 40. I decided that all my profiles had to have wings that could be removed. But I still wanted to try the Wild Fred so I figured I would mod it to have a removeable wing.

I have a plan in my head and I am just going to work out the details as I build. So is you are following this, we will all have to see how it works out.

The kit arrived yesterday. I ordered it with the light weight built up motor mount since this will be easiest to use for my wing mod. I am going to use a 5/8" .035 aluminum wing tube in a phenolic (cardboard like) socket tube.

I don't want to sound like a "reviewer" but the kit looked great, CNC cut parts and sticks. LamYak comes from the fact that the builder laminates two 1/4" CNC pieces together to make a 1/2" thick piece, which is the thickness of the fuselage. This is a pretty beefy fuselage for a 40 size profile. It also uses the typical 1/2" fiberglass tube down the middle like the MOJO and Primo. In fact, construction is fairly similar. You build the fuselage without the motor mount and tube. Then you build the wing. And then the motor mount tube assembly. You cover everything and then gob on some epoxy and put the wing in, stuff the motor mount tube thingy through the fuselage and try to make sure everything is lined up before the epoxy sets up. It is always a bit of a panic and I manage to get epoxy all over everything. The tube is usually left exposed.

With the removeable wing mod the tube and motor mount will be built with the fuselage so the entire thing can be built flat on the board and covered.

I am not going to do a complete build thread because the LamYak comes with a great manual and a build DVD. I am mostly going to focus on the removeable wing and whatever else I rocks me. I've got the fuselage underway, but, unfortunately I have to go to work. I'll post a few pictures this evening. Stay tuned.
to remove ads between posts
May 25, 2010, 03:56 PM
this is a great flying plane, and I'm sure you will love it. I suppose you should be careful not to add to much weight making it a removeable wing. Its a pretty strong plane as it is. I've got a video of me smacking the wing on a paved runway here some where.

JEREMY B
Last edited by JEREMYB; May 25, 2010 at 04:05 PM.
May 25, 2010, 04:00 PM
ok I found it. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5&d=1274821132

Also check out the other videos on the 3dplanekits.com
May 25, 2010, 05:26 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I suppose you should be careful not to add to much weight making it a removeable wing.
Thanks JeremyB

I expect it to add about 3.5 to 4 oz (the wing tube and the ply outer ribs). The motor mount area should not weight any more than the heavy motor mount, maybe a little less.

That was a serious hit yours took and the plane took it well. I may have to angle the ailerons after all, though I don't like the look quite as well. The fuselage seems very rugged in the bones.

The crashes that took out my MOJO and Primo were way worse and would make a mess out of most planes. In each case I wrecked on wing but the other was fine, and in each case I did some damage to the nose, and in each case it was really impossible to fix the plane properly with the wings attached. I pretty much junked the MOJO and reused the tail feathers and ailerons. But I am in the process of rebuilding the Primo after sawing out the wing. It is gonna have a removable wing too if it works out on the LamYak, which I am pretty sure it will. We will see!
May 25, 2010, 08:28 PM
Bill
I also have the lamyak kit,my first kit,and I must say,for a first timer I found it fun and fairly easy.Still need to get the wing done.
I've broke a mojo in half twice,and it still flys good.
Can't wait to see your wing mod......
May 25, 2010, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2builder
I am going to use a 5/8" .035 aluminum wing tube in a phenolic (cardboard like) socket tube.
Where did you get the wing and phenolic tube? some might like to follow along in your build!! I know I would!!

Quote:
It is always a bit of a panic and I manage to get epoxy all over everything. The tube is usually left exposed.
For those that have a problem with this (like I did) I found it easiest to brush epoxy on the tube huggers (routed out balsa sticks that wrap around the fuselage tube) first, then down the center of the wing (with motor mount and tube previously installed in the wing) I then slide the wing and tube assembly in and quickly clamp the nose pieces down to the motor mount.

I should say that I have some paper towels ripped up into squares already set out with denatured alcohols in a cup. I fist wipe the ooze-out off with dry towels and follow up with some dipped in the denatured alcohol. The denatured alcohol works really well for removing the epoxy residue!!

I know you won’t have this problem with constructing a removable wing version…just thought I’d chime in for those that will build the standard version.

Quote:
I am not going to do a complete build thread because the LamYak comes with a great manual and a build DVD. I am mostly going to focus on the removeable wing and whatever else I rocks me. I've got the fuselage underway, but, unfortunately I have to go to work. I'll post a few pictures this evening. Stay tuned.
looking forward to seeing your pics!!!!
May 26, 2010, 05:26 AM
Thread OP
Here's the next installment. The basic plan is to cut of the FG tube behind the main spars so that the wing tube can pass through the center of the fuselage just in front of the main spars. To keep things strong I decided to use extended motor mount hardwood that would overlap the FG tube on top and bottom. I found an oak garden stake and sawed it to shape on my junky table saw. It was pretty nice fine grained wood and wicked strong. I had to remove a little of the motor mount core and some of the CNCed wood behind it to make room for the extended motor mounts. Then I filled in the holes with scrap balsa and glued in the shortened FG tube with GG. It is messy but very light. In this build the fuselage is now done with the tube installed and the fuselage and tube can be completely covered with Monocoat after some sanding.

Next up is the wing. I got the wing tube and socket from TNT Landing Gear Products thanks to a tip from Wardo. More on that shortly.
Last edited by u2builder; May 26, 2010 at 07:02 AM.
May 27, 2010, 02:23 AM
That's looking sharp as heck!!!
May 27, 2010, 08:45 AM
Thread OP
Last evening I got the wing mostly done. Once of the straightest and nicest wings I've build. It was a little traumatic to take out the saw and saw it in half. Was I going to ruin this beautiful wing?

I did the deed and went to bed. Woke up at 2 thinking about anti rotation pins, lining up tubes, and other nonsense. Got up a four and went down to the basement.

Pics show a 1/16" ply copy of the root rib which will be glued to the inboard side of the root rib. Also some ply washers I made to attach the socket to the inner ribs. The socket is about 11/16" OD for a 5/8 OD aluminum tube. I couldn't find such a hole saw, so I got a 3/4", chucked it in the drill and turned it down on a bench sander till I got a nice tight fit for the socket. I used this to make the washers with a larger hole saw to get the OD. Turned down with less agressive teeth, the hole saw made beautiful holes.
May 27, 2010, 09:11 AM
Thread OP
Well, here is the final installment of the wing tube mod. It took an hour to post this on dial up. The captions tell the story. The result exceeded my expectations. The mod probably added 4 to 5 oz at most, basically the weight of the tube and socket, the ply root ribs and some glue. The single bolt attachement method works great.

Hey, here a tip I think all builders should consider. Use some epoxy to reinforce the cross bracing. I was messing around with the fuselage putting some sideways force on it and a couple of the diagonals "let go". CA is a pretty brittle glue for that type of attachment and those joints are a little hard to get a perfect fit on. I mixed up some 5 minute epoxy and put a little dollop into each of the joints and I think it will make it tough as nails.

Well, that's all for now. I am exhausted from lack of sleep but pretty psyched about the way the wing mod came out.

Now I can relax and finish the LamYak at a less furious pace.
May 27, 2010, 11:59 AM
Joe,
That looks great, just like we discussed.

Regards,
Wardo
May 27, 2010, 12:17 PM
Thread OP
Yeah Wardo, you put the bug in my ear that we should be building removable wings so we can repair these slabs and then the Primo went in. After I finish the LamYak I'll rebuild it with a removable wing. Thanks for the link to the tube which is

www.tntlandinggear.com if anyone else needs a tube.

Other than the scheming this was not very hard to do.

I can't see that this reduces the strength in any significant way, and in some ways I think that aluminum tube makes a pretty darn good Monospar. In all my serious glued wing slab crashes the spar broke off right where it went through the fuselage and the untubed jobs snapped right behind the wing, in each case making repairs difficult or impossible. I have to admit these were serious dumb thumb crashes but still the other side of the wing and a good portion of the fuselages were largely intact.
May 28, 2010, 08:17 PM
Bill
That's some good looking work done there.....Only 4-5 ozs added should be good,I think I've added that much in repairs with epoxy....LOL

Quick Reply