View Poll Results: Which paintscheme do you prefer?
Bf109F-2, I./JG54, White 8, Walter Nowotny, summer 1942 12 15.38%
Bf109F-4. III./JG54, Yellow 5, winter 1942/43 32 41.03%
Bf109F-4, VIII./JG54, Staffelkapitän, Max-Helmuth Ostermann, May 1942 25 32.05%
None of those schemes 9 11.54%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

May 24, 2010, 11:08 AM
Wilde Sau
Thread OP
Poll

Choose the paintscheme of the new FMS GIANT Bf109F

Dear community,

we have 3 schemes to choose from. All of them are JG54 "Grünherz" schemes:

1. a Bf109F-2 of I./JG54, White 8, flown by ace Walter Nowotny in summer 1942 on the Eastern Front in Russia

2. a Bf109F-4 of III./JG54, Yellow 5, flown on the Russian front in winter 1942/1943

3. a Bf109F-4 of VIII./JG54, Staffelkapitän, flown by ace Max-Helmuth Ostermann in summer 1942 on the Eastern Front

These schemes were chosen to get a Bf109 of a famous squadron, the JG54 "Grünherz". You can get a lot of information on this site. To get information about Nowotny and Ostermann, you should click on "Famous Grunherz Jagdfliegers". However, that is a false link, so here you go with a direct link to that page.

Also, the schemes were chosen to keep the "yellow-level" low, as FMS seems to use a yellow color that does look a bit toyish. It's just enough yellow to have a good impression of the planes attitude at distance.

I'd personally prefer the first scheme, Nowotny's White 8, as he is one of Germany's best known aces and was the first ever fighter pilot to get more than 250 kills. Also, I like his grey-and-green paintscheme, compared to the usual all-different-kinds-of-grey-schemes we normally get to see.

Also, I am a bit sceptic about that winter camo as I fear that FMS will just have bare material instead of white color at the white spots of that camo-scheme. That might not look as nice as expected...

EDIT: for those of you wondering why there is none of the common desert-camo paintschemes that most models of the Bf109F feature: the opinion in the German forum was that most people wanted to have a European theatre paintscheme as the desert-camo was considered to be too common on 109-Fs and also too 'uninteresting' ('boring' sounded offensive)

EDIT2: please also keep in view the complexity of the paintscheme: if we force FMS to give us a difficult paintscheme with little airbrushed dots and stuff like that, we will end up in getting ugly schemes. Consider Ostermann's bird as the max possible complexity FMS is going to be able to do, if at all...

EDIT3: it is going to be one of the three schemes, unless everybody is very unhappy with the existing three schemes, which at the moment does not look like it. So before you chose option 4 to opt for a desert camo which will not be released, better take your voice to get the one of the three schemes you like most. If you are really unhappy with all of the three schemes, you are of course invited to choose option 4, that what it's for

So, here you are!
Ladies&Gentlemen, make your choices

Best regards,
Bernhard
Last edited by Beltpilot; May 25, 2010 at 02:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2010, 11:26 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
Wow

I really think I'm destined to be the stick in the mud man on this one! Looking at "F" models, I don't care for any of those schemes.... but thats just me.

Would they be willing to ship bare airframes <no paint> for guys like me?

If I owned one of these, and was going to go through the trouble of painting it, tidying it up I would go with this.

Sorry I can't vote for one listed.

Tommy D
May 24, 2010, 11:36 AM
Wilde Sau
Thread OP
Hey Tommy,

I told them to offer a bare fuse, don't know though if they will do it...

I forgot to tell that: in the German forum, we decided not to have a desert camo scheme, as they were considered both too common (for a F) and too boring (no offense, that's just how the majority felt).

I'll add that above...
May 24, 2010, 11:50 AM
I fly therefore I crash
Check out #19 on this site http://www.markstyling.com/bf109fs2.htm

check out #37 here http://www.markstyling.com/bf109fs4.htm

and #50 here http://www.markstyling.com/bf109fs5.htm

Fletch
May 24, 2010, 12:05 PM
If I have to have any one of those I will take number three!
May 24, 2010, 12:12 PM
I particularly like the Bf109F-4 of III./JG54, Yellow 5
May 24, 2010, 12:17 PM
Long live the Nuge!!!
Will this be offered in the 25"WS range or are we talking the big 57" WS?
May 24, 2010, 12:50 PM
I say go to mark stylings website as well. some very nice schemes on there. I can't believe yellow 14 isn't going to be considered (No.10) on mark stylings website.

Others on his website that I personally like

No. 3, 6, 12, 14, 18, 20, 24 (although there are others I like on here, but they have considerable amounts of yellow, and yes I know I selected alot of desert schemes).

The joys of the 109, there is just so many paint schemes for any variant of the 109 family.
May 24, 2010, 01:10 PM
I fly therefore I crash
Another possibility.

Fletch
May 24, 2010, 01:11 PM
Suspended Account

looks like it gonna be a big one.

:-)
May 24, 2010, 01:18 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltpilot
Hey Tommy,

I told them to offer a bare fuse, don't know though if they will do it...

I forgot to tell that: in the German forum, we decided not to have a desert camo scheme, as they were considered both too common (for a F) and too boring (no offense, that's just how the majority felt).

I'll add that above...
Understood. Guess I like boring

The point I guess <for me> is moot if the model's they produce matched the 3 view they already displayed.

Tommy D
May 24, 2010, 01:57 PM
Does it have to be JG54? There are SOOOO many beautiful paint schemes for F variants!!! Choose something different than the standard RLM74/75/76. PZ already has a G6 in that color scheme.
May 24, 2010, 03:31 PM
Wilde Sau
Thread OP
Hey guys,

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchace
That is a nice site, but it is as I said before: it was prechosen not to do a desert-camo and also avoid too much yellow. Also I should add that although #19 and #50 are beautiful, their paintscheme is probably too difficult for FMS to do. We chose large pattern scheme instead of those very delicate airbrush camo patterns... Ostermann's bird already is the farthest we dare to go on that field... sorry I can't tell you more

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywarp1
Will this be offered in the 25"WS range or are we talking the big 57" WS?
BIG! I added that in the title, thanks for the hint!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava
I say go to mark stylings website as well. some very nice schemes on there. I can't believe yellow 14 isn't going to be considered (No.10) on mark stylings website.
Others on his website that I personally like
No. 3, 6, 12, 14, 18, 20, 24 (although there are others I like on here, but they have considerable amounts of yellow, and yes I know I selected alot of desert schemes). The joys of the 109, there is just so many paint schemes for any variant of the 109 family.
Sorry dude, no desert camos and only little yellow. Look at FMS' prototype, then you know why we did not want that much yellow
But even when painted in another scheme than the one you fancy, PZ's Bf109G is the best example of what people can do with a well done model and an airbrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchace
Another possibility.
Fletch
Sorry Fletch, too much yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D
Understood. Guess I like boring
The point I guess <for me> is moot if the model's they produce matched the 3 view they already displayed.
Tommy D
Tommy, you are right. But the plane we will see is certainly going to be different than the prototype. However we'll have to await it's release to see what it's gonna look like in the end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109
Does it have to be JG54? There are SOOOO many beautiful paint schemes for F variants!!! Choose something different than the standard RLM74/75/76. PZ already has a G6 in that color scheme.
Well dude, that's what people decided: not too much yellow (am I repeating myself? ), no desert camo and - if possible - no 74/75/76. That's why we came up with three alternatives that do not represent the usual 74/75/76. The first bird is 70/71/65, the second is 70/71/76 and white, and the third is a 70/71/02/76.
The reason why JG54 was chosen is that it's green heart is one of the best known insignia, the squadron is very famous and it's members were some of Germany's finest fighter pilots.

To get things straight: I added the fourth option to see if - for any reason - the schemes are totally out of taste for the majority. Other than that, it will most probably be one of the three schemes.
This is not my choice, I am just telling you the message and doing the work of getting your opinion. It is not like I am the one who picks the scheme in the end

Best wishes,
Bernhard
May 24, 2010, 03:37 PM
Wilde Sau
Thread OP
Entry post edited
May 25, 2010, 01:39 AM
jbc
jbc
WHO's your DADDY!!!
I chose scheme 2 but I'd be happy with either 2 or 3 slightly leaning more towards 2. Scheme 3 I think is the very traditional German/109 scheme, it looks good but I think alot of the 109's you see are very similar to it. Scheme 2 still looks VERY German/109 ish but is still different enough to warrant it's own identity.

Either way scheme 2 and 3 are HUGE improvement on what was on offer previously. I think they'll finally have some competition for the Parkzone 109

PARKZONE 109

Quick Reply