May 21, 2010, 12:10 PM
NTX Helidillos
Thread OP
Discussion

Dell Server PSU for charging?

So i was looking on here to see about using a computer PSU for my chargers and i found a thread by feathermerchant (here in case anyone wants one) that has some great chargers and he's got a great price... but i have some Dell power supplies laying around the office and thought maybe i could use one of them to do the same thing.

Anyone tried a Dell DPS-500CB server power supply? Or know the pinouts?

I'm going to hook the meter up to it this weekend and see if those are 12v (should be) and which is postive and which is ground

Any thoughts? I've got 3 of them out of older servers just sitting here and if i can use one that'd be great... otherwise i'll probably just pickup one of feathermerchants.

(sorry for the crappy pic, i used my phone)
to remove ads between posts
May 21, 2010, 04:45 PM
CF-JUL
Since these are for a server i can't tell wich pins are for what, but on a regular PSU (can get one for 20$, about 500W and 15 amps) usually the green wire if the ON, coupling it with a ground start the unit up. There should be a 12V output (yellow wire), and a 3,5v
The only thing you have to check is that computer power supplies are divided into "rails"
you cant actually pull out 500W and 15 amps from only one rail. Usually there are 3 rails, the most powerfull is reserved for the processor and graphic, its pull out 12V, there is an other one pulling 12V, but with a much less peek power, its is the one for mainboard component and the last is 3.5v, designed for the accesoiries that plug into the molex connectors( cd, dvd and hard drives). they all have their own negative and REALLY dont like mixing them. Just be carefull
May 21, 2010, 04:52 PM
Southern Pride
See this thread for helpful / logical approach to finding the pins needed to turn it on.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...dell+dps+500cb
May 21, 2010, 11:03 PM
NTX Helidillos
Thread OP
Thanks everydayflyer... i had seen that thread and i had searched for the model number but nothing came up...

But after searching the manual way through that thread i found this post Which is the exact same model. I'll give it a try later and see how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by write2dgray
You guys re-inspired me, so I pulled out the old Dell DPS-500CB 502W supply (41.0A on 12V line) I bought on eBay a year ago and tricked her into working. It took some doing, and in the end it requires that a small load be present when the power supply is fired up. A plugged in charger will do fine, but if at any point the charger is turned completely off for more than a few seconds, the moment it is turned back on, the power supply will cut off.

No biggie, but it took me a while to figure out what was tripping this. Now I've got a 12V/41A supply...if I should ever need it.

For any that may stumble across it - what worked for me (it is a 6 column x 4 row grid), in the end I simply bent and soldered the three pins marked "Y" together:

N N N N N Y
N N N N Y N
N N N Y N N
N N N N N N

Cheers,
David

Quick Reply