This thread is privately moderated by warhead_71, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 21, 2010, 11:15 AM
Always Ready!
Thread OP
Discussion

New additions to the hangar

Just making some handy links to my most recent acquisitions:

E-flite Stearman
-- flies great, looks beautiful, built like a tank. A bit heavy compared to most electrics but she flies very scale. Even though she flies great, I have to get my nerves up before I fly her... just so expensive compared to my scratch-built foamies.

Big Pink Beaver -- 64" DeHavilland Beaver DHC-2 scratch-built from 1/2" pink and 1/4" blue (fan-fold) rigid insulation foam. This thing flies AWESOME... looks very scale and cruises slow - like a Beaver should. AUW about 40oz with plenty of wing to add payload. Floats are next.

Grumman Goose -- 60" 1:10 scale, again it will be scratch-built from 1/2" pink and 1/4" blue (fan-fold) rigid insulation. Still finalizing the plans, but I have enough of it figured out to get started. She'll be powered by twin DT750's spinning GWS 10x6x3-blade props... same motor as the Beaver. Alas, Spring is here... so I'm too busy flying to build anything right now.

WWI British Pilot -- This is my first foray into spin-casting lightweight plastic dummy pilots. I made this one specifically for Hammerd's BE12a - beautiful airplane.

Sikorsky S-39 -- fuselage scratch-built from 1/4" FFF and wings hot-wire cut from 2" blue foam. I hit a brick wall during this build when it came to doing the struts... I want them to be strong enough that they won't tear out of the foam without adding too much weight. I think I have something figured out... time to get back to it.
Last edited by warhead_71; May 21, 2010 at 01:51 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 21, 2010, 12:09 PM
Flick lives

Amazing work

WH-71, u do nice work on those scratchbuilts! Your PDF plans are also works of art and I'm amazed that you have them out there for ppl to see. I've danced around the idea of building ever since I started buying and flying ARF foam planes a couple years ago. Trouble is, I always end up baffled about build methods, setups and materials. Did u buy a book about it or did you just invent all this as you went along? Where should a noob start?

Again, I'm impressed with ur "disclosure" of info, unlike a guy I see on YT with beautiful scratch-built scale depron airliners out of Arizona, who refuses to even answer any comments BEGGING for info about how he does it, (I think he made a deal with the devil).

I've included a link to a YT vid example of my flying "skill."

-BladeHead

http://www.youtube.com/user/j6sj7#p/a/u/1/Iw3Q7x_m4l0
May 21, 2010, 01:50 PM
Always Ready!
Thread OP
I do this for fun, not for profit, so I put my plans out there in hopes that someone will build one and together we can make a better mousetrap. Maybe someday I'll team up with a foam-cutter and revise plans to mass-produce kits, but in the meantime, it's just good fun.

Really, even though I provide plans, it still takes some patience, determination, and scratch-building experience to construct these... as I always say, my plans are more of a "guide" than a step-by-step procedure.

Thanks for the compliments... hopefully you decide to build one of them.
Jun 07, 2010, 06:12 PM
Great jobs!
Especially the lightweight plastic dummy pilots are fantastic!
Latest blog entry: My Macchi-M67 oing on!

Quick Reply