May 20, 2010, 08:30 PM
St. Joseph, MO
Thread OP
Discussion

USS Enterprise 1701-D

Thought I would share this with everyone though I did not document my construction process. I am planning on building another.

The video below is the last remaining archive of a flying foamie modeled after the Star Trek Enterprise. It was a fairly simple build, just a bunch of tracing out foam parts from schematics I found online. The original schematics I found are here and need a bit of tweaking. The top and bottom views are not the same size. The top view is necessary for the saucer and nacelle sections while the bottom view is useful for tracing out the engineering section.

Power was a Hi-Max HG2025-4266 with a 3 cell 2200 Mah 25C battery. Aileron's are located on the saucer section and the elevator is on the engineering section. I tried this without an elevator... and chalked that idea up to experience and added the extra tail weight. The CG is about 1/5 of the way back from the nose of the plane.

Before adding the night lights the plane flew exceptionally well for such a unique design. Excellent gliding and hovering, of course there's a bunch of weight below the flying surface so stable hovering is to be expected. After the lights, well, let's say it's a good thing that it had more power than weight. They say a nose-heavy plane flies poorly and a tail heavy plane flies briefly... Not this time gravity!

Here's the link.
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2010, 10:35 PM
RC Addict
Looks nice, but can it do the Picard Maneuver?
May 21, 2010, 12:53 AM
Boooriiiiing.
......you are officially my new hero. Those lights are PERFECT! Can you take detailed pics of it so I can get an idea of what I'd be up against? I want to build one!
May 21, 2010, 07:50 AM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Hey RC,

If you are looking for plans I have mine from a couple years ago.

Looks pretty close to what you have but it is hard to see since the video is dark.

Mine flies really well, especially when you make it full size.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...39#post9984716
May 21, 2010, 11:20 AM
St. Joseph, MO
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMonkey572
......you are officially my new hero. Those lights are PERFECT! Can you take detailed pics of it so I can get an idea of what I'd be up against? I want to build one!
Well, when I attempted the Picard maneuver at low altitude... the results were less than ideal. Pictures are out of the question =D. I actually think crashing a foamie is it's greatest honor, sort of like dying on the field of battle. All those poor planes that die from car doors and excited dogs...

Thanks SGTalon! I actually took your design into consideration when I built mine. I hate to challenge you (much respect, I've learned a lot from you) but you're D is not to scale. The engineering section needs to extend under the saucer section or the saucer section needs to be moved back a bit. I also mounted my motor on the nose of the plane. Because I have a gear reduction setup the motor/shaft is not at risk to damage during landing; I'm guessing this is why you went with the pusher design. I also had no option as the plane would not balance unless everything was as far forward as possible. Adding the lights really messed up my CG and load on the battery, switching to a 2200Mah fixed both CG and excessive load on the battery. You're plans also beat mine!

The lights were poorly done and added a lot of weight. In my next thread I'm going to post the plans/buildup and lighting details for those who want to copy this one. It's really not hard to do! FYI: If you have any old IDE cable (it's the wide gray cable inside old computers) you can strip it down into individual wires (carefully!) and it will carry all the power you need at very light weight.

Again, I plan on building another and will post the build-up in a new thread. Just thought I'd show off my creation! Hope to see many copies!
Last edited by RCToys09; May 21, 2010 at 11:55 AM.
May 21, 2010, 11:50 AM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
I would love to see your version. Why no pictures???

I actually tried the Scale thing with my first Reliant and Klingon Bird of Prey. They were both dismal failures. I decided I would rather concentrate on making a plane that looks a LOT like the ship that flies good. Leave the scale stuff to the guys with more skills than me.

I would love to build full fuse scale stuff but i just don't have the time or patience for it.

Looking forward to your new design.
May 21, 2010, 12:26 PM
St. Joseph, MO
Thread OP
The plane is no more, that's what I've been hinting towards. This is why pictures are not an option. I think my dad might have 3 pics of it flying in the daylight but I'll have to ask. I saved many of the pieces in case I ever decided to trace out another one. Looks like that's gonna happen, but this time I'll save my plans for you guys.

BTW, your reliant is very nice. CG on these space craft is very tough!
May 21, 2010, 12:32 PM
St. Joseph, MO
Thread OP
Wait! I've found 2 pictures on my phone.

ROFLMAO: The following errors occurred with your submission:
This forum requires that you wait 360 seconds between posts. Please try again in 76 seconds.

Before you know it I'm going to be Mark Wood and voted off the island for 20k posts.
Jun 26, 2010, 12:05 AM
St. Joseph, MO
Thread OP
As promised, a thread with plans, though I'm not done yet. Click here.

Quick Reply