May 20, 2010, 01:16 AM
Always Ready!
Thread OP
Discussion

Help! DX7 and AR6000, mixing for flaps and ailerons

I built a DHC Beaver with 2 servos for ailerons and 2 servos for flaps... a servo for each control surface. How do I program the DX7 so the ailerons work normally and the flaps work with the 3-position flap switch? I only have 6 channels... so either the ailerons or the flaps need to be Y-connected.

I have the Y-connector... but should I:

(A) "Y" the ailerons together, then plug the 2 flap servos into AUX and GEAR... then how do I mix those so they use the 3-position flap?

or (B)

"Y" the flaps together, set the ailerons to "Flaperon" with the right aileron servo plugged into AIL and the left into AUX... but then how do I disable the 3-position switch from the flaperons and instead mix it to the flap servos? The problem with "Y-ing" the flaps together is that I'd have to mount one control arm backwards so they'd rotate opposite of each other instead of together.

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
May 20, 2010, 01:34 AM
I have crow mixed to THR so flaps down and AIL up.

Then ELE to THR down trim

I will have a look at my mixes tonight and no Y leads needed. But I did use all 6 mixes
May 20, 2010, 07:37 AM
Always Ready!
Thread OP
Brilliant - that explains everything I asked. Seriously... any help?

*edit* --- okay - that was harsh.... haven't had my coffee yet.
Last edited by warhead_71; May 20, 2010 at 09:21 AM.
May 20, 2010, 09:23 AM
Always Ready!
Thread OP
I ended up getting it to work... kind of.

I have the 2 aileron servos on a "Y", and the flaps I have plugged into GEAR and AUX. I have the AUX channel controlled by the 3P switch, then I have GEAR mixed to AUX.

Not sure if I did it right... not a lot of travel in the flap servos -- only about 30degrees but I maxed-out the end-points for more travel at full flaps.

The big problem is that the GEAR toggle still independently works one of the flap servos... so if I bump it in-flight, I'll certainly go into a spin.

Something can't be right....
May 20, 2010, 09:29 AM
Try this:

DX7 DUAL AILERONS AND DUAL FLAPS

Aileron Setup
1. Power off the TX and turn on. Go to normal
programming
2. Scroll to Pmix #6. Set Aileron as master and
AUX#2 as slave. Set mix levels at 100%
(This requires movement of the Aileron Stick)
3. Set the Sub trims on the aileron and aux#2 to
match each other.
1. Scroll to Travel Adjust and set the desired
Travel for the right aileron and left aileron
(AUX#2)
2. If the ailerons are backward..go the reverse
Switches and correct

Flap Setup
1. Scroll to Pmix #5. Set Aux#1(Flap) as master
And Gear as slave. Set the mix levels at 100%
(This requires flipping of the gear switch)
2. Scroll to Pmix#1. Set Gear to Master and Gear
To Slave. Set mix levels to –100% -100% (This
May require flipping of the Gear Switch)
This will inhbit the gear switch.
3. Set Sub trims on the Aux#1 (Flap) & Gear (Left
Flap) to match each other
4. Scroll to travel adjust and set 100% on Aux#1
And Gear.
5. Scroll to FLP SYS screen, Set the desired
Travel for each of the switch settings.
You can also set any elevator compensation.
Set Right Flap to Aux#1, Left Flap to Gear
May 20, 2010, 09:42 AM
65 years of RC flying
Why not just two Y-cables, one for ailerons into channel 2 and one for flaps into channel 6. I can think of reasons why you might want more adjustment flexibility, but if you want simple, that should do it.
May 20, 2010, 09:46 AM
Always Ready!
Thread OP
Sweet... that's just what I was looking for.

I am using an AR6000, so I only have BAT, THR, AIL, ELE, RUD, GEAR, AUX .... I don't have 2 auxillary channels. But I will simply keep the ailerons on the Y-connector and set up flaps using GEAR and AUX as you detailed above.

Thanks a bunch.
May 20, 2010, 09:50 AM
Always Ready!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66
Why not just two Y-cables, one for ailerons into channel 2 and one for flaps into channel 6. I can think of reasons why you might want more adjustment flexibility, but if you want simple, that should do it.
Because putting flaps on a Y means they move in unison (CW/CW)... like ailerons -- there's no way to reverse just one of the servos, (unless I also get an inline servo reverser). I'd have to remount a servo so the arm can be put on backwards so they move in opposition (CW/CCW). I don't want to move servos at this point... or have control linkages that don't line up in a straight line.
May 20, 2010, 10:32 AM
65 years of RC flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71
Because putting flaps on a Y means they move in unison (CW/CW)... like ailerons -- there's no way to reverse just one of the servos, (unless I also get an inline servo reverser). I'd have to remount a servo so the arm can be put on backwards so they move in opposition (CW/CCW). I don't want to move servos at this point... or have control linkages that don't line up in a straight line.
Understood. That's what I meant by more flexibility. I just hadn't seen this requirement explicitly in the previous discussion.
May 20, 2010, 10:52 AM
Always Ready!
Thread OP
I didn't realize it was a problem until I started into it myself.

I think I'm headed in the right direction now... I'll report back tonight to let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply