Nov 29, 2010, 08:02 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
This was driving me crazy, but I think I found it...the Shearwater?

http://www.shearwateraircraft.com/Te.../Hydroski.html
I spent almost an hour looking last night.

Laddie Mikulasko has a model of the Shearwater, I believe.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 29, 2010, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1post
I spent almost an hour looking last night.

Laddie Mikulasko has a model of the Shearwater, I believe.
Interesting. Found video of 25% (2.75m span?) electric RC prototype at youtube.
Shearwater Water Handling - Email v1 2 (3 min 29 sec)

Satoru
Nov 30, 2010, 12:08 AM
That is the one , thanks .
Dec 04, 2010, 09:06 AM

Water maiden

I could not wait and tried it at nearby river. It flew ok in gusty wind and not so smooth wave.

I agree ICON A5 does not like cross wind. Water rudder started to work well from certain speed. I could not enjoy planing due to rough water. It required a little bit of power to take off. I need to try how to take off more.
As you see it can fly at low speed (yes, I stalled right before the first touch down, dropped wing). Landing is trouble free. I think this is good water plane.

NFD A488 ICON A5 1.8m water flight (3 min 1 sec)

Some water leaked into the cockpit. I sealed front and aft side of canopy with tape. It was ok eletrics were lifted from the floor.

I am trying to repair the damaged nose retract. It was easy to reach the retract as you see the photo.

Satoru
Last edited by ssatoru; Dec 04, 2010 at 09:11 AM.
Dec 06, 2010, 06:56 AM
I brought ICON A5 to my club field. Friend brought smaller 1090mm span one. So we tried formation flight. Smaller one flew faster than mine..

Satoru
Dec 21, 2010, 06:50 AM

Italian Icon A5 arrived yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssatoru
I brought ICON A5 to my club field. Friend brought smaller 1090mm span one. So we tried formation flight. Smaller one flew faster than mine..

Satoru
ok ...other BIG ICON A5 are arrived and flow.....
mine is arrived yesterday.... i'm happy about langing gear are "not optional"

in this Christmas Holiday i hope to assemble only the model (i've not electronics necessary at home )

Mine is in the link below in a slideshow

http://img109.imageshack.us/slidesho...d=icona512.jpg

i need some info about electronice inside...

i need:
MOTOR (KV??)
ESC ?
LiPo Battery?
Servos (at home i've 5 of this type) http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7562
ordered for Rainbow F3A...for error and never opened....ARE OK??

into the coloured manual instruction, they advised metal servos (hitec hs85mg)

some help me ??
Last edited by kitaro; Dec 21, 2010 at 10:52 AM.
Dec 21, 2010, 07:14 AM
what goes up, must come down..
hi folks... same question for me too

my 1800mm Icon has finally arrived, well packed, no damage, and I'm pleasantly surprised by the quality of the plane.

I'd like to know what motor/ prop combo works well for the big Icon?
I've had a quick look through this thread, but havent noticed much reference to the drivetrain.

Manual states a 3740/ 400 on 6S, I see a 4S setup worked... has anyone experimented between 4S & 6S?
is there a particular motor that well suits for water T/O?

and i remember reading somewhere the Icon tends to tail wag... was this only on the smaller 1 meter version or also the 1800mm?
I'd like to try fpv if the tail wag can be resolved
Dec 21, 2010, 10:55 AM
kitaro, AussieHoppy,

Congratulations. It is good to see more big ICON A5s are coming.

Regarding power plant, 4S, 6S does not matter. As an electric plane, you can find motor and battery combination which can swing 12x6 prop at 600 watt input power or so. 12 inch is the max size of prop this big ICON A5 can use. I chose 3 blade for better scale look. (equivalent to 2 blade 13x6 or so).

600W is moderate but enough power to fly as water plane I think. (enough thrust and moderate speed.) I tried 5S battery and got nearly 900W input power. It resulted more thrust, more noise, not much faster speed. Maybe good to surprise people.

Manufacturer DZ Hobby lists 'motor X' 3740 KV 400 motor. I do not know why they chose such low kv motor but that required high 6S voltage. If you have identical 2 3000mAh or so batteries, 6S is a good choice you can use them in series.

My Hyperion Z3025-10 weighs about 200g, kv is 775rpm/V. Motor diameter is 37.7mm, similar diameter as AXI 28 series, same mount size.

So I would suggest to pick up a motor like this
- around this diameter (AXI 28/Hyperion Z30 size)
- weighs around 200g
- back mount type
For 4S or 5S
- kv around 700-800 rpm/V. Battery capacity is probably 4000mAh or larger
For 6S
- kv 4-500 rpm/V (such low kv is rare in this motor size.) Battery capacity 3000mAh or so.

Of course you may need to try a few prop combinations unless you choose motor from a vendor with good test results.

I would suggest to get above size of battery (or larger) not only to enjoy long flight time but ICON A5 requires some weight to get correct CG.

50-60A ESC is enough. If you choose reliable one 45A is enough.

Kitaro, it is curious to see your kit has different manual from mine. (printed one?)

I think that servo works with this ICON A5. It should fit the servo hole well. (as far as they works ok.)

AussieHoppy, I experienced tail wag baddb1 has reported. It occurred only at certain maneuver which I cannot reproduce.

Hope this helps.

Satoru
Dec 23, 2010, 09:09 AM
thx Satoru, very much appreciated

Question tho... I've aquired an eflite power 25, specs say good for a 2.5kg plane, going to try an 11 x 5.5 2 blader & a 50A speedy, hoping this'll work ok...
Dec 23, 2010, 09:52 AM
Hi AussieHoppy,

I have not used that motor but looks good from spec. (kv 870 rpm/V, 190g). Drive Calculator showed 505W input with 4S and APC 11x5.5e. You might want to try 12x6e if you need more power.

Different subject. I inquired about replacement nose gear to DZ Hobby. They can supply one but EMS postage and bank transfer is expensive, they advised to contact local dealer. My dealer will try to get one. I could not find suitable nose replacement gear from other source. It will take time but should be ok.

Satoru
Dec 23, 2010, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssatoru
kitaro, AussieHoppy,

Congratulations. It is good to see more big ICON A5s are coming.

Regarding power plant, 4S, 6S does not matter. As an electric plane, you can find motor and battery combination which can swing 12x6 prop at 600 watt input power or so. 12 inch is the max size of prop this big ICON A5 can use. I chose 3 blade for better scale look. (equivalent to 2 blade 13x6 or so).

600W is moderate but enough power to fly as water plane I think. (enough thrust and moderate speed.) I tried 5S battery and got nearly 900W input power. It resulted more thrust, more noise, not much faster speed. Maybe good to surprise people.

Manufacturer DZ Hobby lists 'motor X' 3740 KV 400 motor. I do not know why they chose such low kv motor but that required high 6S voltage. If you have identical 2 3000mAh or so batteries, 6S is a good choice you can use them in series.

My Hyperion Z3025-10 weighs about 200g, kv is 775rpm/V. Motor diameter is 37.7mm, similar diameter as AXI 28 series, same mount size.

So I would suggest to pick up a motor like this
- around this diameter (AXI 28/Hyperion Z30 size)
- weighs around 200g
- back mount type
For 4S or 5S
- kv around 700-800 rpm/V. Battery capacity is probably 4000mAh or larger
For 6S
- kv 4-500 rpm/V (such low kv is rare in this motor size.) Battery capacity 3000mAh or so.

Of course you may need to try a few prop combinations unless you choose motor from a vendor with good test results.

I would suggest to get above size of battery (or larger) not only to enjoy long flight time but ICON A5 requires some weight to get correct CG.

50-60A ESC is enough. If you choose reliable one 45A is enough.

Kitaro, it is curious to see your kit has different manual from mine. (printed one?)

I think that servo works with this ICON A5. It should fit the servo hole well. (as far as they works ok.)

AussieHoppy, I experienced tail wag baddb1 has reported. It occurred only at certain maneuver which I cannot reproduce.

Hope this helps.

Satoru
hi Satoru...i'm in holiday, when return at work i'll scanner the manual ...mine is a single big page, bent in 4 and each step is a HD photo under this write in chinese and english....but 4 me easy to understand ....your manual??
now Hobby King have it!!!
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11587

I've for ICON A51800mm:
- 3 Blade EP Propeller 10x7 / 254x178mm
- i'll use this servos (n. 05) https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7562 (2x ailerons, 2x flaps are ok???? 1x rudder??)
otherwise i'll buy some other like this
http://www.giantcod.co.uk/sg5010-tow...que-p-205.html
or metal geared fron giantcod http://www.giantcod.co.uk/towerpro-m...-p-402699.html
- motor i hope around 700-900kv http://www.giantcod.co.uk/xyh4250-80...-p-405282.html
- ESC 60A
i've some indecision on servos....
do someone help me??
Merry Christmas!!!
Last edited by kitaro; Dec 23, 2010 at 04:05 PM.
Dec 24, 2010, 10:42 PM
MERRY CHRISTMAS ONE AND ALL!

Peace, health & happiness to you and your families... fly n be free!

Cheers folks!

de Hopster
Dec 27, 2010, 02:01 PM
Wow, it's no bargan at HK, about $230 shipped to the USA. I supose if they stock it here it will be about as cheap as importing it ourselves, and a lot easier. It's frustrating how slowly they have added USA stocked products.

As far as servos, the plastic geared one you show is too light for this big a plane. they mention in the description that the gears can strip with more than 2.1kg of force. At over 70", and around 80oz, this would be a .40 class plane in glow, it isn't a park flier. I have used there:

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8760

and they seem fine in a maxford Neptune (~80-90 oz) They arn't as smooth as full sized servos, but they do seem to get smoother with a little running.

Given the smaller packages of minis, I think metal gears is a must or you will get stripped gears with rough handling on these larger planes. Esp around water, you can get some very high loads in a ground loop or botched landing.

I think your motor choice is right on. I don't understand why they spec a 6 cell power system for only 500-600 watts.
Last edited by lupy; Dec 27, 2010 at 02:16 PM.
Dec 27, 2010, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupy
Wow, it's no bargan at HK, about $230 shipped to the USA. ...
The HK one includes the motor and 6 servos so the price doesn't seem to be excessive.
Dec 28, 2010, 12:29 AM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
I'll bet most chuk the motor

Quick Reply